+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar

Hardcore short game practice routine

Stumbled upon this thread called 'The Ultimate Practice Routine' started by teaching instructor: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/93...outine-992787/

Has anyone tried anything like this? I'm thinking that I don't practice my short game nearly enough, and this year I'll be spending most of time on that (70%).

As this seems to be targeted at mid-high handicaps, I wonder what one would look like for a low handicap?

I did try the 25 in a row 3 foot putts on carpet and did that first try. I imagine I'd get killed initially on the 45 foot lag putting (within 3 feet), chipping from 20-30 feet (within 3 feet), and probably the pitching too (I'd be bound to botch a couple out of 25).

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Hardcore thread! Almost 350 replies! . . .
    Even I've never heard of me

Those poker players take their golf seriously!

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    At a quick glance, some of those thing are way too easy and some are too susceptible to percentage error as a source of failure.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I think if you're trying to fix a problem in your game that's mechanical then hitting the same shot over and over again has its benefits. But if you're just practicing in general, I would not practice 25 of the same putt in a row or 25 of the same chip. I like to change my target after every shot so that I practice my distance control and accuracy. Same with irons, I hit a 9 iron, then a 5iron, then a 7 iron, instead of a bucket of 9iron followed by a bucket of driver.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    I think doing the same thing over and over can be a good way to build confidence before a round (if you are successful). I routinely don't leave the putting green before a round until I make 10 5 footers in a row, it give me the confidence to know its not going to be an issue when I stand over a "routine" 5 footer on the course. I also think the repetition can be a good way to evaluate your progress (a test if you will to see how well you do - i.e. how many 5 footers do you make out of 25), but I am not sure doing the same thing over and over will actually make your swing/stroke better. Especially if there are serious flaws in your swing/stroke. I think the repetition may simply ingrain the mechanical errors into your swing/stroke, making it that much harder to correct.

I think the main part is testing and being able to see that you're improving if you note down your scores/percentages. The repetition would also help with things you just don't practice much but encounter on the course all the time, like bunker shots and 30-40 foot lag putts. I think routines in general help a ton, and I don't have any whatsoever. I usually just go back and forth hitting different shots with no goal in mind.
    I'll do something like this this year and note my progress.

Putter DarthFader is on a distinguished road
    As was mentioned in the pro in the thread, the reason for hitting 25 in a row is to add pressure to the situation. Learning how to make the 25th put has the same flavor of pressure as that birdie put.

I have not tried this routine, but I think I'll give it a shot.

Thread Information