100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge dickie_kak is on a distinguished road dickie_kak's Avatar

Wedges - Loft, bounce, and Yardage gaps

I was hoping to get some feedback on my situation. I'm trying to sort out what to do with my wedges for the upcoming season. I have currently have three wedges, their specs are as follows:

52deg with 8deg bounce<---Typical yardage - 120-125
    56deg with 12deg bounce <--Typical yardage - 100-105
    60deg with 6deg bounce <---Tyipcal yardage - 80-90 (mostly I just use around the green)

With my current setup, I can only carry two of these. My PW has 47deg of loft and I typically hit it about 140. I want to keep my yardage gaps managable, while maintaining options with my wedges. By that, I mean I would like some variability with bounce, for different shot types/selection.

Here's what I'm thinking. Bending 52deg +2deg, to 54deg. Which would also add 2deg of bounce. Giving me 54deg with 10deg bounce. Droping the 56deg, and carrying the lob wedge(60). I figure my yardage would be about 110-115 with the 54deg.

I also thought about bending lob wedge down 2deg, or SW up 2deg to give me a 58deg wedge. The problem I have with this is I bounce I lose or gain. And I do prefer the wide sole of the lob wedge.

Let me know what you think, and please make suggestion.(Sorry, if this is confusing).

Because it may factor into your comments I should also mention, I am a 5hcp.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I had your problem and decided to keep those same 3 wedges you listed and droped the 3 iron from my bag. 3 iron was evil.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    What woods or hybrids do you carry? are you long enough where you may not need some of the longer clubs in your bag?

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I had your problem and decided to keep those same 3 wedges you listed and droped the 3 iron from my bag. 3 iron was evil.
    I have considered removing my 3iron aswell. Here are my current yardage gaps

Driver 260
    3w(15) 245
    Hybrid(19) 225
    3 (21) 200
    4 (24) 190
    5 (27) 180
    6 (31) 170
    7 (35) 160
    8 (39) 155
    9 (43) 150
    PW (47) 140
    GW(52) (8bounce) 120
    SW(56) (12bounce) 100
    LW(60) (6bounce) 80

I do have some flexibility with my woods, because of the titleist surefit system(loft adjustments). My problem is if I remove my 3iron, i end up with rather large yardage gap.

I think for the first part of the year, I may switch clubs in and out until and toy with lofts on my 3w / hybrid. A few practice session and I should be about to decide which clubs I am most comfortable with. I am very much a feel player around the greens, and usually like to have one go to club. I don't like to mess with my wedges during the middle of the season. Last year, I didn't carry a 60deg wedge, but I like the versatility it has, and allows me to be more creative around the greens.
    Last edited by dickie_kak; 03-04-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dickie_kak View Post
    I have considered removing my 3iron aswell. Here are my current yardage gaps

Driver 260
    3w(15) 245
    Hybrid(19) 225
    3 (21) 200
    4 (24) 190
    5 (27) 180
    6 (31) 170
    7 (35) 160
    8 (39) 155
    9 (43) 150
    PW (47) 140
    GW(52) (8bounce) 120
    SW(56) (12bounce) 100
    LW(60) (6bounce) 80

I do have some flexibility with my woods, because of the titleist surefit system(loft adjustments). My problem is if I remove my 3iron, i end up with rather large yardage gap.

I think for the first part of the year, I may switch clubs in and out until and toy with lofts on my 3w / hybrid. A few practice session and I should be about to decide which clubs I am most comfortable with. I am very much a feel player around the greens, and usually like to have one go to club. I don't like to mess with my wedges during the middle of the season. Last year, I didn't carry a 60deg wedge, but I like the versatility it has, and allows me to be more creative around the greens.

RP
    Somthing here does not jive here. You have 20 yrd. between each wedge,15 yrd. between you shorter clubs and then the gap switches to 10 yrd. in the mid to long irons but there is a uniform 4* between clubs up to the 5 and then 3* from there on in . These are a quite common lofts within a set but the yardages don't make sense. With your swingspeed, there should be 3 and change yrds. / deg of loft.

What clubs/shafts are you using and have the lofts been measured ?

I am assuming this is carry yardage?

Quote Originally Posted by dickie_kak View Post
    My problem is if I remove my 3iron, i end up with rather large yardage gap.
    I had to choose which gap I'd rather fix, the gap between 200 and 180 which the 3-iron would take care of, or the gap between 100 and 70. I found myself in a lot more 80-90 yard shots than 190 yard shots so I picked up the 52 which is very accurate at that distance.

Now I'm thinking of dropping the 56 and put the 3-iron back in because I find myself in a lot more 190 yard shots than 70 yard shots! lol

I agree with you about the 60 degree, very versatile club around the green and bunkers.

4 Iron snaphooker is on a distinguished road
    Might seem like an odd suggestion, but I would probably drop your 8 iron. Since you only have 5 yard difference between your 7,8 and 9, it seem like you have an extra club you don't really need. I would keep as many options in the wedges as possible. Or maybe get your lofts in the 8,9 and pw weakened/checked which may allow for better gapping.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by snaphooker View Post
    Might seem like an odd suggestion, but I would probably drop your 8 iron. Since you only have 5 yard difference between your 7,8 and 9, it seem like you have an extra club you don't really need. I would keep as many options in the wedges as possible. Or maybe get your lofts in the 8,9 and pw weakened/checked which may allow for better gapping.
    My bad. I did not see the 5 yrd. seperations between the 7,8 and 9. Is this a type O ? If it's not, then you have serious loft problems !

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Now I'm thinking of dropping the 56 and put the 3-iron back in because I find myself in a lot more 190 yard shots than 70 yard shots! lol
    Bad move.

Think of it this way, how consistent is your distance control when you are trying to hit it 190 yards? Chances are from 190 yards out the only thing you are worried about is either carrying a water hazard or getting to a very general part of a green, i.e. front or back. In both those cases you can probably afford a 10 yard "miss" in the right direction, i.e. if you hit it 10 yards too long, no biggie.

With a wedge you are shooting at a much smaller area usually so you want to have as much precision as possible. That is easier if you have more clubs with smaller gaps for a given swing.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Apologies to the OP for the threadjack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Think of it this way, how consistent is your distance control when you are trying to hit it 190 yards?
    I was terrible. Which is why I dropped the 3-iron. But I was also terribly bad at hitting the 5wood from 190 yards out too. I was trying to do a 3/4 swing with it. The direction wasn't good, the ball wouldn't hold on the green, I had no confidence in that shot either.

So, what I think I need to do here is bring the 3-iron back in the bag, learn to control it, and learn to hit a 3/4 52 wedge to replace my full 56 degree club. I think I can do it.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Your real problem is that you have girlie distances with your long irons.

But seriously, I still think you are much better off having more wedges than an extra long club. There's really not much benefit to playing driver/3W/5W. Drop one of the fairways and put a 3H or 2H in the bag instead of a 3i.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I know the game of golf is hard enough as it is, but I don't see myself EVER putting a hybrid in my bag. Girlie club imo. Maybe I'm a golf masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Somthing here does not jive here. You have 20 yrd. between each wedge,15 yrd. between you shorter clubs and then the gap switches to 10 yrd. in the mid to long irons but there is a uniform 4* between clubs up to the 5 and then 3* from there on in . These are a quite common lofts within a set but the yardages don't make sense. With your swingspeed, there should be 3 and change yrds. / deg of loft.

What clubs/shafts are you using and have the lofts been measured ?

I am assuming this is carry yardage?

I should have probably mentioned this before. The yardages, are based on last season, and my old irons. I bought a set of Ap2's at the end of last season. They were properly fit for me (2up, with 1/2inch extension). I haven't had a chance to dial in my distances yet, with the new clubs. I figure I probably will gain 5yrds or so, based on the extension. And yes, those are carry distances. If I jump on an iron I can add a few extra yrds, but thats not the point.

Like I said, before this is probably something I will have to spend some time experimenting with. A few practice sessions. In the past, I have often swapped out my gap for hybrid, depending on where I am playing. (Although, its hard to put a 250$ club on the shelf). The deal with wedges, is I become comfortable with certain lofts. Mixing and matching bounces and lofts, to meet the majority of situations throughout the round is the real challenge here, while maintaining acceptable yardage gaps.

Interestingly enough, a tweet came in this morning with Rory's specs. He carries : PW(46), SW(54), and LW(60). An 8 degree gap. I'm not Rory, but I found this interesting. Not sure what the bounce of his wedges are. does anyone know?

3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    Definitely something is up with your yardage gaps with those lofts especially between your 7,8,9 but aside I would probably go with taking out the long iron. In a given round you will have way more opportunities to score from around a 100 yrds than 200+ and when you miss from 200+ you will need those wedges to get up and down.

If you remove your 3 iron you can also adjust the lofts in your other irons to make up for that yardage loss. Who ever said you need to play typical industry standard lofts?

Also consider the type of grind on your wedges as this can play a big role on the playability. I think we all know how bounce is measured but not all bounce is equal. When manipulating the face the actual grind and shape of the sole will greatly affect the new effective bounce and playability. So if you're going from 3 to 2 wedges and will now have to play more variety of shots out of them its something to consider.
    [FONT=System][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Not girlie. Realistic! Sure, I can jump on a 3iron and carry it 210+, or a PW over 150, but that ain't the point.

I could drop the 3iron, and I possibly cover the yardage gap by tweaking the lofts of my 3w & 2H. But again, its something I will have to spend some time with on the range.

Glad, I could stir up some decent discussion. Now I probably overthinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by stone_bone View Post
    Definitely something is up with your yardage gaps with those lofts especially between your 7,8,9 but aside I would probably go with taking out the long iron. In a given round you will have way more opportunities to score from around a 100 yrds than 200+ and when you miss from 200+ you will need those wedges to get up and down.

If you remove your 3 iron you can also adjust the lofts in your other irons to make up for that yardage loss. Who ever said you need to play typical industry standard lofts?

Also consider the type of grind on your wedges as this can play a big role on the playability. I think we all know how bounce is measured but not all bounce is equal. When manipulating the face the actual grind and shape of the sole will greatly affect the new effective bounce and playability. So if you're going from 3 to 2 wedges and will now have to play more variety of shots out of them its something to consider.
    Exactly, what I'm talking about. Too bad there wasn't just one magical club that could do it all. Instead, we must choose between a few.

Thread Information