CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Sens and Corporate Tax Break Issue

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this tax break issue. If Dalton goes ahead with his plan, do you really think the Sens would be in jeopardy of leaving town?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think its a lot of posturing on Cyril Leeder's side. It's tough to say how much they would be affected. Yes they would, but I don't think they'd go out of business or get moved. I'd expect him to say exactly what he did.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    If businesses get tax breaks for making deals at hockey games, why not get tax breaks for making deals at strip clubs?

For the record, I dont' think they should get tax breaks for either.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    The businesses get a tax incentive for purchasing seats at sproting events, should they no longer get this it will mean only the BIG businesses will be able to purchase tickets which will lead to one of two things. More tickets being available for general public or less people in the stands which is what the Sens fear.

I have to agree with Cyril, it would be bad for Ottawa as a whole.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I am glad that the Sens immediately stepped in and made their position known. There is no doubt that this would have a negative impact on the Sens. We don't have sellout crowds and there is no waiting list...unlike Montreal and Toronto, for example. I have to believe that as Dalton has deep Ottawa roots, some form of accommodation arrangements will be made to ensure that impact, if any, is minimal.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Gap Wedge Stever is on a distinguished road
    I'm not sure if it'll mean move the team right away but think it will have a significant financial impact that Eugene will have to decide if he wants to absorb or not. As Cyril said, pretty well 100% of the box suites are leased by businesses and written off at tax time. Given that these boxes can go for anywhere from $50,000 to probably $200,000 that adds up to a lot of money. Also lots of the lower bowl club seats are purchased by companies that write them off as well. Financial impact could be quite severe given that we don't sellout Scotiabank place every game anymore. I was reading a hockey rag a couple of months ago that said Ottawa was near the top of the list for ticket giveaways every game and it averaged near 3,000 per game.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If they can't keep the team here without corporate tax breaks then the team doesn't belong. It's as simple as that.

I have no sympathy for any NHL team that can't "afford" to stay in a given city.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    If they can't keep the team here without corporate tax breaks then the team doesn't belong. It's as simple as that.

I have no sympathy for any NHL team that can't "afford" to stay in a given city.
    While I respect your opinion, you'd therefore have to be consistent and make the same statement wrt to industry (i.e. manufacturing, software development etc.). The result would be no major industries in any cities as they position themselves based on the tax incentives provided. No industry, manufacturing etc. leaves us with no economy and thus no jobs. And without jobs, no money to buy the sporting venue tickets anyway - therefore, no need for the teams.

Doesn't sound like a city that I'd want to be living in...IMHO
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Sens tix are pretty cheap compared to alot of places. Not too big a supporter on corporate tax breaks, given all the austerity in the budget. Priorities need to rule, and hockey aint one of em
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Cripes if they're moving government pay people to Miramichi because otherwise it would be a ghost town, the government can do what they can to help the nhl in Ontario/Canada.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    While I respect your opinion, you'd therefore have to be consistent and make the same statement wrt to industry (i.e. manufacturing, software development etc.). The result would be no major industries in any cities as they position themselves based on the tax incentives provided. No industry, manufacturing etc. leaves us with no economy and thus no jobs. And without jobs, no money to buy the sporting venue tickets anyway - therefore, no need for the teams.

Doesn't sound like a city that I'd want to be living in...IMHO
    Tax incentives are a part of all businesses, I agree.

I just choose to draw the line at sports teams because the players are overpaid compared to other industries and the owners made the financial mess they are in with the CBA they signed.

When they start paying engineers and accountants 7 figures are year, then we can talk.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I think that there are a lot of smart people out there that can sit down and make a case for the tax breaks. Personally I don't think big business, especially pro sports, should get tax breaks... But, when you look at the overall picture it makes sense to give a sports team, such as the Sens some benefits. Look what they have done and continue to do for the City in a broad range of areas. Look just at the site around Scotia Bank Place. What would that be like were it not for the investment of the team. Businesses and homes, all generating taxes. This team has spurred economic development like no other investment in Ottawa in my life time. It would be a detriment to the city to let this happen without a fight.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Gap Wedge Stever is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Tax incentives are a part of all businesses, I agree.

I just choose to draw the line at sports teams because the players are overpaid compared to other industries and the owners made the financial mess they are in with the CBA they signed.

When they start paying engineers and accountants 7 figures are year, then we can talk.
    Sports is entertainment, if you're going to draw a line then I think it would have to be at the entertainment level. Then watch the people yell and scream - big implications there!

Thread Information