CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RCGA Handicap

3 Wood wboudrea is on a distinguished road wboudrea's Avatar

RCGA Handicap

Question about getting an official handicap. I have been tracking my cap on here for the last 3 years but am thinking about getting an official one to enter some tournaments. I am wondering if I sign up for a public players membership to get the ability to track it officially do I have to start with rounds from this year or can I go backwords and input my scores from last year which I have here on this website? Wondering if there is a rule one way or another. Thanks for the help.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"-#99

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    You can go back and enter your scores. Took me a few hours to do this last fall but it can be done.
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You only need to re-enter the last 20 scores to get an accurate handicap. Scores older than that are not used in the calculation.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    You only need to re-enter the last 20 scores to get an accurate handicap. Scores older than that are not used in the calculation.
    I think that a player starting out could obtain a Handicap Factor by entering only five scores. RCGA Hdcp Manual Part II Section 3-1.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    True, but he has more than 20 on record that are eligible so they should be entered. My point was that he need not enter more than the last 20 since they are not used.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    True, but he has more than 20 on record that are eligible so they should be entered. My point was that he need not enter more than the last 20 since they are not used.
    I understand your point. However, you appear to be suggesting that he "needs" to enter the last 20 scores. As I read it, and in response to his original question, he can just start to enter scores from this year and after 5 he will have an official handicap. Although it is a common practice, I don't see anything about transfering past scores from another source. I suppose, there is also the whole question of peer review. The Handicap Manual, at least the version I have, says that the course joined is the issuer of the handicap factor. It doesn't really consider someone like a Public Player. Although these little discussions often do not result in a definitive answer, they at least put the considerations on the table for everyone to be aware of. I actually think he would be fine either way and time would resolve the issue anyway.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I think entering his last 20 scores would reflect his handicap more accurately than his last 5 scores. If he has 20 scores, he should enter all of them. imo
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree 20 games is a more representative sample than 5, just make sure you use ESC, right Pablo, sorry could not help it!! LOL
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Well, I got a taste of what to expect if I shoot triples and quads this year. It makes a big difference in my ESC. But, I am commited to focus more and and play smarter.
    This is the insentive I was looking for.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Wow, what a difference so far this year with the handicap rule changes. My goal this year was to get to 9 or below. Started the year with an even 10.0 handicap. I have played 12 rounds so far, 9 rounds in the 80's and 3 rounds in the low 90's. The 6 lowest scores (highest being an 87) have been added to last years' scores and my handicap has ballooned to 12.0! So much for having to worry about getting into A class and having to compete with some players that are way better than I. That's not going to happen anymore.
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    I'm having a hard time getting lower than 10.0 ( was 9.8 ) for 1 round. Lol. In my case those 7's on par 4s need to stop immediately if I hope on getting lower!
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road
    see now this is where i get a bit confused with the handicap system, im shooting about the same as jsttaylor not quite as high, and i have a handicap of 16 , could someone explain this to me please

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It is not the score that matters but the DIFFERENTIAL.

The differential is calculated by taking your ESC adjusted score, subtracting the course rating, and then adjusting based on the slope of the course.

In other words, if your scores are exactly the same, but he is playing a more difficult course (higher rating/slope) then his handicap factor will be lower.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Also depends on what your past rounds were like. Perhaps jsstaylor has a number of lower rounds on his handicap card that are being counted towards his cap.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishgolf View Post
    see now this is where i get a bit confused with the handicap system, im shooting about the same as jsttaylor not quite as high, and i have a handicap of 16 , could someone explain this to me please
    "Me thinkest that someone doth stretch the truth???"
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Immozie please feel free to explain ,all my rounds I have put into the RCGA, you tell me were I'm going wrong because I'm really interested in your explanation

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishgolf View Post
    Immozie please feel free to explain ,all my rounds I have put into the RCGA, you tell me were I'm going wrong because I'm really interested in your explanation
    Scottishgolf, my friend - simply a poor attempt at some humour...my apology if it was misread for anything but...
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Imozzie I did laugh , and I was a bit tongue in cheek with my reply , reading my post back to myself it did look a bit serious ,I'm sorry it was not meant to be

Thread Information