CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar

Fat putter grips

Just dropped off my clubs to be re-gripped and decided to experiment with my Scotty so I asked them to put a fat grip on it.

For anyone using a fat putter grip, how have you found it and did you stick with it? Find any disadvantages to it?

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    You may be in for a very unpleasant surprise if the new grip to be installed weighs a whole lot more than what you were used to. If this new grip weighs in at 10 gr. more than the previous one, you are down 2.5 s.w points ( the equivelant of 5 gr. in the head ) and every 4 gr. more will be another s.w pt.

I had the putter cut down from 34 to 31 before without any weight adjustment either, I didn't notice any significant differences. I don't think it will be a big issue if it weights more, especially since I havent used the putter for an entire season. I had a Odyssey putter that I normally use, I just wanted to experiment with a fat grip so decided to put it on the unused Scotty.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    i tried fat grips a couple of years ago and found it changed the feel of the putter due to the heavier weight of the grip. They make fat grips that weigh less now...i would try those if possible.

Also, make sure the fat grip fits in your golf bag

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I use a Super Stroke Slim on a Ping Anser 4 iSeries and ABSOLUTELY love it. I was a little 'wristy' with my putting - not by much, but enough that I thought I would see if it was worth the hype. I can't imagine going back now. Was in Sarasota a couple of weeks ago and bought another one for the next 'workhorse' to be added to the putter stable.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Good to hear. The only thing I've heard against it is that you lose 'feel'. I don't feel like I have any of that right now anyways I should be good to go.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I can see losing feel on the full size super stroke grip as they are pretty huge.
    I went to a mid size iomic last year and haven't looked back. Its just a good amount bigger than a regular grip and helps me keep the hands quiet on longer putts now.
    Even I've never heard of me

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree with Les here, I installed a larger Tiger Shark grip last year and lost a lot of the feel with the putter although I loved the way my stroke was working. I posted this on the forum and Les explained the way the heavier grip affected the swing weight of the club and once I added some weights to the head to get to the original SW, then the original feel of the putter was back. Funny we do not think of these things and we are lucky we have club makers on this forum who can point out these small but important points.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Yea I will definitely play around with it a bit at the start, if I don't any feel, off to a club fitter I go I'm excited to try it out though because I need more confidence especially on the short putts.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Hey Denis, actually if you find out the swing weight of your putter now then it would be pretty easy to find out how much wieght you will need aorund the head to compensate for the extra weight on the butt end. Most grips have a their weight indicated on the Goflworks site so subtract the weight of your current grip and use the formula that Les (downhillslider) indicated above and play around.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I got my clubs back from GT today including the putter. Grip feels good and putts felt comfortable as well. I used it at Golf-O-Max and we all know that putting is bogus so I'll have to practice some more at home on the carpet, but so far so good. Looking forward to sinking some putts with it, that's for sure!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    which fat grip did you get installed?

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I love my Winn Giant, but the honeymoon is over. Second the "check if it fits in your bag first". Mine is too fat to fit in the putter well of a Sun Mountain C-130.
    Andrew

I got a Winn Jumbo Red: http://www.valuegolfcomponents.com/i...-Jumbo-Red.jpg
    Thankfully I have a cart bag and it fits no problem. The grips isn't giant by any means, it's nice, not too skinny, not too fat.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Been using the Superstrokes for years and I won't go back. Just keeps the wrist from breaking down and provides a more comfortable pressure as opposed to feeling like I have to squeeze the grip tight with standard size grips.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I going to install Super Stroke Slim Lite putter grip this season. I had the Winn Jumbo for a few years, I just got tired of how heavy it is.
    My new grip will only be 60 grams.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I tried one and didn't like it one bit. it's a pretty personal thing though
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    Got a Tiger Shark installed on my Corsa Ghost with a tour lock weight ..... love the feel.
    Last edited by dlb; 06-29-2012 at 09:45 AM.

3 Wood cokelon is on a distinguished road cokelon's Avatar
    same here in my scotty, I installed a Winn Grip the one before the Jumbo and I love it huge difference..
    I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser. ~Arnold Palmer

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Love my fat putter grip, had it for two or three years now. Just feels much more solid to me. I do have large hands though.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Thread Information