100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar

Wedges??? What should I do??

Okay so it is time for me to finaly purchase some new wedges. I've been playing the Nike Sv wedges for a few years that I purchased off of Gropper.

My current wedge setup is 52 (10 deg) 56 (14 deg) 60 (10 deg). I love my 52, and mainly use my 56 for around the green, but have been working on using the 60 for those tight/short greenside shots this past off season. The 60 will get more use this year.

Now I find they are good wedge but they are the only ones I've used, but I'm curious as to what others have experienced (especially all you club ho's out there ).

Should I look at cleveland ( cg 15 or 14) , or look at the Vokeys ( SM2 - with varying degrees of bounce ). I thought if I went with the vokeys I can lower the bounce on the 56 to 11 deg.

Any help or guidance would be great!

Tim
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Scratch wedges would get my vote Tim. Great feel and look , whenever i get the oppertunity , i'll be getting another set for sure .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    To best determine what type of wedges you should use, we need a bit more info:

What type of player are you: digger or sweeper?
    What type of shot do you prefer around the green: bump and run/high pitch/flops?
    What are the course conditions you generally play: tight lies/closely mown or fluffier grass?
    What are the bunkers like: hard packed or very soft sand?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    The best value I found Tim are the Wilson TW9 wedges, They still have the old grooves and spin very well. They are also pretty inexpensive right now around $40 new on some Ebay stores

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?LH_Ite...=p3286.c0.m282

They come in chrome and black. I used them for 2 years and really like them. I switched out the sand wedge this year to the forged Wilson. They come in 52-08, 56-12 and 60-06. GT also had them but for about $68 new. I have my Ebay purchases delivered to the UPS store in Ogdensburg since its much cheaper and gas up while I am there at $1.02/litre.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    What type of player are you: digger or sweeper?
    Digger

1 of Tim's divots can feed an entire herd
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    That is true, I played with him last year and saved them all up and re-turfed my back yard.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Tim played golf in Arizona and left behind the Grand Canyon
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I would go for Scratch wedges as well. I would have them if I could afford new wedges right now.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Big johnny--

So true. I'm a digger. I like to attack the ball.
    For around the green I prefer to pitch the ball. Not many bump & runs and I like my flop shot when I need it.
    For the last 2 questions I play so many different courses that the condition are varying most of the time. There are not a lot I courses that have the soft sand but I would go with that option. And the tight lies would be other.

Nokids - that wasn't me. Tiger got there before I did.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I cant beleive you are still using those, ive had 5 diffrent wedge sets since! lol, I have used Vokeys for a few years, went away form them last year and that was a bad choice, finished the year with vokeys again and its been much better, I like Vokeys!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Vokeys! Great wedge and lots of loft and bounce options.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    i'd pick up a set of box groove snake eyes, there on clearance at golfsmith right now. two wedges for under a $100. spin like crazy and feel better then all of those none forged wedges.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Simple answer... go to GolfTown and take a look.
    I personally have no brand preference for wedges, it has to look right to my eye.
    Most of my golf life I have used 3 different brands for wedges until this year when I finally found the Ping Tour-S rustiques.
    You can try them out too, although they tape them up you still will get a good feel for the wedge and whether you can open it up/hit bump & runs with ease.

Any # of good wedge options out there that I've tried: Vokeys, TM Xfts, Ping Tour-S, Nike VR-Pros
    You really gotta feel comfortable with your wedges, so that's why I place a premium on how they look and set-up.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnol View Post
    i'd pick up a set of box groove snake eyes, there on clearance at golfsmith right now. two wedges for under a $100. spin like crazy and feel better then all of those none forged wedges.
    +1

I picked up a set last year when they went on sale and cannot be happier. They feel a little firm I find but the spin and control from them are bar none.

I was using the Clevelands before this and they feel great as well... I would say they felt a bit softer. But I would not change from these snake eyes until they are worn down. Great wedge.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    Big johnny--

So true. I'm a digger. I like to attack the ball.
    For around the green I prefer to pitch the ball. Not many bump & runs and I like my flop shot when I need it.
    For the last 2 questions I play so many different courses that the condition are varying most of the time. There are not a lot I courses that have the soft sand but I would go with that option. And the tight lies would be other.

Nokids - that wasn't me. Tiger got there before I did.

If I'm not mistaken, diggers should use more bounce and sweepers should use less (as more bounce would cause the club to skip resulting in skulled shots).

I'd recommend a GW and SW with a little more bounce and a LW with less bounce for around the greens and tight lies for flop shots.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I used to use a 52 and 58 degree wedge. Currently I have a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges in my bag. I prefer to take out a longer club (5 wood) to have more options from 100 yards and in. I use all my wedges with a half swing in my short game shots than I would try to use a full swing. So having three wedges provides me the ability to lay up to a number of different yardages as well as hit a number of different shots. I think understanding how you want to approach your short game / scoring shots will determine what or how many wedges you have in your bag. For example shorter hitters may stick with just a gap wedge and lob wedge because they need some additional woods in their bag, on the flip side a longer hitter may find it more advantagous to have four wedges in the bag (PW, GW, SW, LW) to be able to score better around the greens.

From a standpoint on which type of wedge I would buy, I would see if you can pick up some wedges with the old box grooves to give you some extra spin seeing as you like to pitch the ball over the bump and run type shots.

JAT

Liek I said, Wilson TW9, $30 new, box grooves, you cannot go wrong and they look pretty cool all black!!
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information