100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar

2012 Golftown National Amateur Series

Thanks to "Outoftherough" I decided to sign up for the Glen Abbey tournament! Thanks for the heads up! I went and watched the Canadian Open there the year Chez Reavie won.(2008) It's going to kick my "C level" butt I am sure, but what the heck.
    I hope I can convince the boss to let me go to the local tournaments.

I had fun last year, I think I came in third at EC for the C class particpants and who knows, if I had not shot an 11 on the one par 5 I might have done better.

Anyway thought a new thread would be better than using the old 2011 thread. If you need some prodding, it says the first 5 people to sign up get a free pair of Sundog sunglasses.
    It was well run, and I had fun last year.
    Last edited by Rusty; 02-22-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    I'm signed up as well. I'm looking forward to playing Glen Abbey.

Now to book the days off !!

2012 full schedule can be found here!
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    *yawn* time to come out of hibernation, golf season is almost here.

I might play one of these this year but they're kind of expensive and Clublink members only get a refund of the green fee if it's their home course.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    I sense road trip to glen abbey.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    So how does this work? Are these essentially just one off tournaments that you enter based on your handicap, get flighted, compete in a one day stroke play event and then call it a day?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Road trip road trip road trip

I'm in!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

I'll prob do Ealge creek, Kanata, and Glen Abbey.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So how does this work? Are these essentially just one off tournaments that you enter based on your handicap, get flighted, compete in a one day stroke play event and then call it a day?
    Yes that is exactly how they work. New this year is a 2 day event up in muskoka.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    CAn anyone give me an idea of what is included in the registration fee?

Last year we got the green fee, cart, and a welcome bag upon registration (included a sleeve of balls, a ty cap, some other stuff I can't remember). After the tournament, there was lunch which was stuff on the BBQ like burgers and hot dogs, drinks and chips. They then had a presentation for the winners, 1st place got medals and a gift card, runner ups got a gift card.

Finally, they drew names to give away door prizes of a bunch of golf equipment. Based on the order of the draw, you got to choose what you want. I got chosen near the end and still ended up getting a Callaway watch which I sold for something like $125. I'm not sure how many prizes there were compared to how many people were registered but it seemed like a good number of people got something.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Last year we got the green fee, cart, and a welcome bag upon registration (included a sleeve of balls, a ty cap, some other stuff I can't remember). After the tournament, there was lunch which was stuff on the BBQ like burgers and hot dogs, drinks and chips. They then had a presentation for the winners, 1st place got medals and a gift card, runner ups got a gift card.

Finally, they drew names to give away door prizes of a bunch of golf equipment. Based on the order of the draw, you got to choose what you want. I got chosen near the end and still ended up getting a Callaway watch which I sold for something like $125. I'm not sure how many prizes there were compared to how many people were registered but it seemed like a good number of people got something.
    +1 Prizes are very good at these events. You made out like a bandit last year!

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar

Was it a shot gun start? What time did they start, and with all of the different classes on the course, how long was the day by the time you left (after awards / bbq etc...)?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    160 to play the Abbey is a pretty good deal. I am personally not a huge fan of that place, but a deal if you haven't played it before. I might look at playing the Kanata and Eagle Creek events. Get some more competitive golf under my belt.

It was a short gun start yes. Start time was 8:30 if I remember correctly (I have a bad memory though) and the round was about 5 hours. The pace of place was actually pretty decent and they had 2 people coming around to make sure it was kept up to speed, I had no issues waiting for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Was it a shot gun start? What time did they start, and with all of the different classes on the course, how long was the day by the time you left (after awards / bbq etc...)?

Walking Glen Abbey?

I am tempted to walk the Glen Abbey tournament, has anyone walked it before, and if so, how hard is it to walk?
    I figure they might have the 90 degree rule, and I don't want to play like that.
    Thanks

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Walking Glen Abbey?

I am tempted to walk the Glen Abbey tournament, has anyone walked it before, and if so, how hard is it to walk?
    I figure they might have the 90 degree rule, and I don't want to play like that.
    Thanks
    It would be a very easy walk- but they make you take a cart to play, there's a couple drives between holes thats the only thing that would hold things up. Back nine is awesome, front nine is meh but still a great experience, and not a very hard golf course.

I've walked a course last year, but they had cart path only that day. The said as long as you keep pace and don't fall behind then you are good.

Thanks for the replies, I think I will write the organizers to see about if its allowed, and to see about parking, someone told me that it may be a hike to the clubhouse from where you park, sounds odd but should check first. I hate showing up with what I think is plenty of time and finding out I barely have enough time to get my act together.
    Also heard that the greens are fast, I expect them to be Outaouais fast, but I have no idea.
    This will be interesting with so little time to practice these last couple of weeks. Right now Accuweather is calling for 18 degrees and cloudy on the first, but you never know.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies, I think I will write the organizers to see about if its allowed, and to see about parking, someone told me that it may be a hike to the clubhouse from where you park, sounds odd but should check first. I hate showing up with what I think is plenty of time and finding out I barely have enough time to get my act together.
    Also heard that the greens are fast, I expect them to be Outaouais fast, but I have no idea.
    This will be interesting with so little time to practice these last couple of weeks. Right now Accuweather is calling for 18 degrees and cloudy on the first, but you never know.
    Expect the greens to be faster than Outaouais . . .
    Even I've never heard of me

I plan on rolling in there at 7am - 7:15am but I'm arriving monday. The range opens at 7:15!

Shotgun start is at 8:30.

As for the weather I would like a little rain 25km/h winds and about 8 degrees !!! lol... (that what i'm used to playing in right now)

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    it would be a bit of a walk but dont worry its the abbey they look after you they have a couple huge limo carts that pick you up at your car. Not the best golf course the back nine is first class and almost unexpected after the front nine, conditions were flawless, what u see is what you get. I just enjoyed the history, too bad you guys wont be able to hit the 6 iron out of the bunker on 18. Unless you land in that bunker.

Habsfan, I was thinking the same thing, but if there is any way possible, I will be walking over to the bunker in question and just contemplate my chances. (not that good) and God help me if I end up in it for real.
    I am afraid that as a "C class" golfer, Glen Abbey is going to beat me up, with the fast greens and all, but the one consolation is that it should be an equal assault for all. I wish I could remember more from the last time I went and watched the Open there.
    It should be fun no mater what happens and its a chance to visit the brother in law.

Well todays round was a lot of fun. Winner of my flight shot Even par today, which I thought was fantastic with the pins positions!

Click here for scorecard if you really want to see my breakdown.

Being the first time playing Glen Abbey scoring aside the round was definitely enjoyable. In A flight they had us playing from the blues so there were a lot of short holes but I didn't take advantage of them like I should have. Driver was working decent, aside from not having my regular fade. The ball was flying more straight than anything (just switched to the Nike 20Xi-X).

The valley holes are difficult if you are out of position, especially with the wind that you really couldn't feel being down there. Some of the bunkers on the course were deep, which made it tough to get out of, like #2 front greenside. I had a scrambeled egg inside a mud section, and it was not a pretty sight watching me get out of that bunker, all others were okay.

The couple birdies I managed kinda saved me on the front, due to my blow up hole, but break down was
    Front 9 - 43
    Back 9 - 50

My stats were messed up from what I submitted but the ones I tracked
    FIR 4/14 -- 28.6% ( I didn't hit many but wasn't out of position very often )
    GIR 8/18 -- 44.4
    Putts 38 - too many 3 putts (5) but 3 x 1 putts !!
    Scramble 55.6%

Score on Par
    3- +2
    4- +14
    5- +5

Well it can only get better from here on in... Right ?? Time to work on putting and approach shots and some bunker play! Now where was that lessons thread !!!

June 13th - Anyone playing Kanata ?

I wonder if they'd be playing Kanata from the Gold tees (scary)? What tees were played at Glen Abbey?
    Good job on the tourney and making a couple birdies!

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    June 13th - Anyone playing Kanata ?

We played the blues, so I did find it a little short but my 100 yrds and in wasn't working at all today, so it ended up being tuff. I think I might have been in better position (design wise) from the golds, but you play the tees they say!!

I purchased the yardage book and it was a big help considering I've never played there! Very detailed.

Oh and I got the sunglasses for early sign up (score) !!! woo hoo !!

Well, I am back as well from Rusty's big adventure. Glen Abbey was well worth the trip.
    As with OutOfTheRough, I had a ton of fun, I never like getting up early for golf; I will have to work on that.
    As a "C" class player I was very concerned with my "performance", but as luck would have it I had one of my better rounds for the start of the year. I also was an early sign up, so I got a pair of sunglasses as well, i should have thought to try to meet with OutOfTheRough, wasn't even thinking.
    I did pretty well, second in the "C" class division, a 96, one stroke behind the winner. Of course I am not happy; I couldn't have done better, especially on the par 3's.
    I believe that I 3-putted 3 of the 4 par 3's. Putting was the problem as usual, but I burned quite a few edges, so the eternal optimist sees some light at the end of the tunnel.
    We started on the 18th (shotgun) which was a little intimidating, but I got through with a bogey, that I thought was pretty darn good. Wish I could say the same for my cart mate, it was his first tournament ever, and he shot a 16 on the hole. If you know the 18th at Glen Abbey, he laid up short of the water, with a yardage of about 130, and then proceeded to put a lot of balls in the pond.
    He finally asked me if there was a "mercy" rule, and I said "not that I am aware, but that he could shoot to the left of the pond and eliminate the water." The light came on for him, he did so and then finished the hole; he was not a happy dude, but took it well.

The best part is that I had been to the Open there in the past, so it was alot of fun when I wound up in a position that was similar to some of the shots I saw when I was there. One time, I think it was the 2nd hole I hit driver and was right next to where Anthony Kim was,(he had hit a 5iron or something off the tee, there is a hill at the end of the fairway you don't want to go down. He hit a wedge to the green, I hit my 6 iron and was short.
    Anyway, it was tons of fun and well run, maybe the next step is the Great Lakes Tour, its the same people running it, and heck how hard can that be?
    Definitely signing up for EG or Kanata.
    Last edited by Rusty; 05-02-2012 at 06:07 PM.

If Kanata is from the blue's I'll play. I'll play Eagle Creek as well since I love that course.

If Kanata is from the blue's I'll play. I'll play Eagle Creek as well since I love that course.
    I'm definitely in for eagle. I've got to beat last years score. Haven't played kanata yet and I didn't find much info on the website? Is it a short course?

It's not short, 6714 from the golds, and 6481 from the blues. It's a par 70, though

Kanata Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    I'm definitely in for eagle. I've got to beat last years score. Haven't played kanata yet and I didn't find much info on the website? Is it a short course?

Thread Information