CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brand snobbery

9 Iron JTB is on a distinguished road JTB's Avatar
    No brand Snobbery here.

I recently change my irons from my old Tommy Armour EVO's for the Nike Pro Cavity 3-AW set. The choice of going to Nike wasn't based on any commercial I saw with Tiger or any other Nike Staff player in there. It came down to the overall performance/feel/consistency of the irons compared to the others I tried, (Cobra S3, TM Burner 1.0/2.0, TM Tour Preferred CB's). I also upgraded my old wedges to the Nike V-rev wedges a 56 and 60 again based on feel and price point.

Bill Wood
    Accuform Irons - Wilson wedges - driver older smaller Taylor head with an Excalibre shaft, 3 wood Nakashima, 5 wood old Taylor and a Bullseye putter. (whatever gets it in the hole)

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    No brand snobbery here. I have the following in the bag: an Adams driver; a Nike 3 wood; various Hogan hybrids; Cobra irons; various models of Cleveland wedges and an Odyssey putter. While I have always loved Titleist and Wilson Staff, if it costs too much, it isn't going into my bag. But if it is reasonably priced, looks good and works, then it can find a home in my bag.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    Hey Pablo,

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    But in golf, Nike was not a big player until Tiger came along. So whenever I see a Nike golf product I see a basketball/soccer/tennis company who got into the golf game late, signed a superstar, and is selling their golf equipment based on the fact Tiger uses it.

I want to play the best equipment I can afford. I don't want to play a Nike ball because of the swoosh, or b/c the best golfer uses it. I want to know that it's better than a Pro V1.
    Would you agree that RBK has done the same thing with Sidney Crosby? Do you/would you feel the same way about RBK hockey equipment as Nike equipment? How many hockey fans hate Sid the kid or the gear he endorses? I dont know that answer but I am sure there are haters out there... RBK jumped on his bandwagon pretty quickly...and into hockey equipment mfg late in the game in my opinion...Just like Nike did with golf...

I played hockey all my life and Easton, CCM, and Bauer were the lines of equipment I used. RBK (to me) was shoes first...Now they are into all the apparel, hockey sticks (with CCM and Taylormade now... ), gear, etc...because of Sid mostly (correct me someone if I am missing another athlete).

Having said all this, I wouldnt buy an RBK stick just cause Sid the kid is using it...It would have to be priced right, comparable quality, with some kind of technology advantage over Easton, Warrior etc..at same price point, and look good also. But I dont hate RBK equipment. I just havent given it a chance. I probably will at some point when I need another stick just to say I did.

I dont know how much(?) Tiger's persona makes the Nike brand easier to crack on...There are a lot of people that get rubbed the wrong way by Tiger, especially after his divorce. I, personally like watching the meltdowns...Shows he is human/crazy...

BUT...If I had to buy gear or get behind a brand and could only choose it based on which athlete is using it, then the Kid is my guy...I dont hate Tiger...I just like the Kid better...

Until he gets hit by a hockey stick through the back window of his SUV by some girl...LMAO...

I hope the comparison I am trying to make makes sense to everyone else reading this (it sounded good in my head when I tried to put it on paper)...
    Last edited by shaner85; 03-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Shaner,

That theory might not be to far off, as it looks likes CCM and Taylormade are possibly making a hockey stick together.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ccm-ta...225500116.html

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think Nike has come a long way but the Tiger effect is now working against them. They still produce some nice looking sticks though. For me the only brand I don't prefer is Callaway. Nothing about any of their equipment does anything for me. I also think TaylorMade has lost its way in some regards, I'm becoming less of a fan with their various offerings as of late. I like more classic style clubs for the most part and not really a fan of white heads, ugly graphics, and too much "stuff".
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    Wow...that is interesting....thanks JTB...!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I think Nike has come a long way but the Tiger effect is now working against them. They still produce some nice looking sticks though. For me the only brand I don't prefer is Callaway. Nothing about any of their equipment does anything for me. I also think TaylorMade has lost its way in some regards, I'm becoming less of a fan with their various offerings as of late. I like more classic style clubs for the most part and not really a fan of white heads, ugly graphics, and too much "stuff".

I agree, Tiger is slowly destroying everything they have built up as a tandem...

As far as TM...it seems like the trend is to make the club longer to get it to go farther...I cant swing a 46" driver nearly as well as a 44" driver (or even shorter)...

I wished they could dial it down sometimes...the RBZ thing I think sounds cheesy...It might work but seriously...Rocketballz...they must have been really struggling for ideas if that was there final decision...LOL

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post
    Shaner,

That theory might not be to far off, as it looks likes CCM and Taylormade are possibly making a hockey stick together.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ccm-ta...225500116.html
    Just another reason for me to be a hater.
    Taylormade and CCM suck.
    I am all about Callaway and Bauer; I have played them both for many years.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

I think TM shortened the length of the RBZ irons to the "Standard" lengths opposed to the extra 1/2 inch you were getting in the Burner Series irons. I don't really get what there doing with the White Heads, My guess is that the club will standout on TV / your local range, Everyone will know your playing a TM driver. They claim the white is to help "reduce the glare" but I know personally my black driver has never made me squint and think the glare was unbearable.

I have never been a fan of Bauer skates, tried them once and dumped them...CCM makes great equipment as far as I am concerned...had 2 pairs of CCM skates in the last 12+ yrs...Only complaint is breaking in new skates of any brand.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Both CCM and Taylormade are owned by Adidas, so it only makes sense that Taylormade would work with CCM. Adidas also owns RBK, All in the family!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

I had forgotten about Adidas owning them both...

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Well as the resident Nike guy on this board, my owning of Nike clubs had very little to do with Tiger but to be honest probably had more to do with Jordan, i grew up watching Jordan play and became a big Nike shoe, clothing fan from then on, When i start golf i actually stayed away from Nike as there stuff wasnt very good. First real irons were Mizuno's. But as their clubs got better i moved more and more towards them, starting with the Nike Pro combos tours and SQ woods and pretty much through to todays irons except putters, never liked there putters. Vr pro Combos in the bag now.

But to go on what NoKids said, playing Nike clubs is not the norm and in fact i am usually diffrent then everyone I play with as very few use Nike in comparasson to the other. Using something diffrent is actually nice.

I also have had a big thing for Titleist, loved there wedges, fairways and Hybrids since the 909's. But this year is a big change I am mostly Titleist, 910 D3, 910F, 910H vokey wedges, balls and Cameron putter. These seem to be the only 2 brands i stick with.

i have a huge hate for Taylor made. Too many clubs with jacked up lofts and always so much better that if you dont upgrade your stupid. Just annoying and screwing there customers like no other.

Calaway never been a fan but they make ok stuff.

This is my take on it.

Also in todays market if you really think that anyones equipment is inferior, then you just have issues with the brand. The top brands are all equal and there is a fit for every level and ability between all the diffrent lines they cary. I know top level players playing Nike and duffers playing Titleist. Its all a personal choice more then anything.
    Last edited by Gropper; 03-14-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gropper View Post
    Also in todays market if you really thing that anyone equipment is inferior, then you just have issues with the brand. The top brands are all equal and there is a fit for every level and ability between all the diffrent lines they cary. I know top level players playing Nike and duffers playing Titleist. Its all a personal choice more then anything.
    I am a duffer who plays Titleist and I approve this message.
    Nowadays most of the big brands create different lines of clubs for players of different levels. Anyone can pick their favourite brand based on looks/feel/distance/Tiger/Phil/Gropper and get a set of sticks that match their game perfectly.
    Even I've never heard of me

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    the good news is the selection has never been better. looks inspire confidence to me and we all know a lot of this game is in your head. Most of the time its the Indian, not the arrow. The best clubs are the ones that work for you.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Adam, the only person who will ever play a brand of clubs because of me is my son, and even that wont last much past 10 years old. More then likely to piss me off he will want TaylorMade clubs. LOL

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner85 View Post
    Hey Pablo,

Would you agree that RBK has done the same thing with Sidney Crosby? Do you/would you feel the same way about RBK hockey equipment as Nike equipment? How many hockey fans hate Sid the kid or the gear he endorses? I dont know that answer but I am sure there are haters out there...
    Shaner, you are right. If I was taking hockey seriously I would probably buy CCM or Bauer instead of RBK because they've established longer track records in hockey than RBK. However, I don't take hockey seriously and have no idea what brands I'm using. It's a mix of all kinds of brands.

Your example made me chuckle because I do hate Crosby with the passion of a thousand Mel Gibsons.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Mel Gibson against which religion?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Pablo....the mel gibson reference is outstanding...LMAO...!

6 Iron Biffster26 is on a distinguished road Biffster26's Avatar
    Just so you are aware Reebok owns CCM, Koho and Jofa so their products have been around a long time just under a different flag.

Shaner, you are right. If I was taking hockey seriously I would probably buy CCM or Bauer instead of RBK because they've established longer track records in hockey than RBK. However, I don't take hockey seriously and have no idea what brands I'm using. It's a mix of all kinds of brands.

Your example made me chuckle because I do hate Crosby with the passion of a thousand Mel Gibsons.

[QUOTE=Biffster26;435844]Just so you are aware Reebok owns CCM, Koho and Jofa so their products have been around a long time just under a different flag.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that...I didnt know who owned who, but the point I was trying to make was just a comparison of companies that grabbed athletes and got into different markets to generate more revenue...

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    Gents...been a looong time. I have no brand snobery either. Except maybe balls. For some reason I don't feel I make good contact with the cheaper balls....is under PROV1, TP, iTours.........

Started with Maxfli's as my starter set, within a year and a half I purchased Head irons. They were AWESOME. The heads kept snapping off the shafts so T&L gave me full reimbursement after using them for a full season. I picked up Mizuno T-Zoids (which I know Donny Vantage was verrrry jelaous over.....HAHA) Traded those in for Titlest 962's.....which I loved...but they were stolen. Insurance paid for TM Firesoles......which I loved but were also stolen (@ an RCMP golf tourney........stupid cops). Picked up Ping i3+ blades.....which I loved........ending up selling on here cause I just couldn't play with them anymore....no practice time. Picked up Mizuno MP-52's which I presently play. TaylorMade R7 Driver, R580 3 wood, Burner Utility club, TM Rossa Putter. All of my Taylormade product just ended up happening......wasn't in my grand design.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Pablo, I heard a good comedian one time and he stated " if you cheer against, or wish ill will on Sid the Kid.......it officially makes you a terrorist".......

I will give you a pass as you are not a canuck..........

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingLow View Post
    Pablo, I heard a good comedian one time and he stated " if you cheer against, or wish ill will on Sid the Kid.......it officially makes you a terrorist".......

I will give you a pass as you are not a canuck..........
    Im a Wings fan! That explains my hate for Crosby and the entire Pittsburgh organization. I hate their water boys too.

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road
    Just check my hockey equipment, Hespeler stick, CCM Tackaberry skates, CCM pads, Cdn Tire jock...I should get out more .

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    I'm a love the one your with kind of guy.... Used to love my PING's now I love my Clevelands... in time I will love something else. The only thing that has not changed in my bag including my bag is my golf towel. Got that years ago playing at West Point (yup that West Point).

Thread Information