CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brand snobbery

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road

Brand snobbery

I think I suffer from this affliction.

It's not totally baseless, but my comparables are based on GT sims. I've always liked the idea of the "sponsored" bag, but could never settle comfortably on one brand. Try and stay with me for a few minutes.

Biases:

Callaway - Always liked Callaway drivers, always hit them fairly well and have a lot of confidence with the ones I own. Always hated the irons. I've never liked how thick they look, with the exception of the Proto-X, but they were priced way outta my budget.

Nike - Bought the Sumo 5000 in 2007, never really cared for it, but I think I got some bad advice at GT. Only like the VR blades, but unsure of their quality.

Mizuno - Love my MP33s, but never liked the look or feel of their drivers/fwy woods.

TaylorMade - liked the look of the product they provided, but never hit the clubs as far as my Callaway driver (FT3) and was not prepared to sacrifice the distance for looks. I do like the more recent offering (R11 and current) as well as the blade-like irons they are offering. Not a big fan of their putters either, but like the older offerings more than the Ghost putters.

Titleist - Always loved the woods, and have liked the AP2 and various blades they have offered. I like the top lines of the irons and really like the SM wedges and Scotty putters.

If I had my way, I'd make a Titleist bag, but...is part of the allure of being an amateur that you can make up a bag of clubs that are advantageous to the player as opposed to just having all the same manufacturer? I guess it's the Rocco Mediate Dick's Sporting Goods sponsorship.

Any opinions would be welcome, just hate the melting pot my bag has become!

Scott
    aka Fally
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I am definitely afflicted with this condition as well and am very happy (probably too happy) to have gone almost straight Titleist last year.
    I love the new driver and woods and my AP2s are fantastic . . I will admit that when I hit the vokey wedges off centre they don't feel as good as I would like, compared to older ping wedges, but I just tell myself to hit them in the centre . . I know I am just rationalizing to keep my bag as close to uniform as possible.
    Oddly enough the one club I can't shake is my Odyssey putter, even though Titleist just so happens to sell some very popular putters.
    I've tried a lot of clubs over the past few years (mostly purchased and re-sold on this forum) and found that my clubs have to feel good and I have to like the look of them for me to actually play well.
    Why does it have to be such a mental game?
    Even I've never heard of me

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I've been a Titleist guy for a long time. They kind of lost me for a bit during the 907 years but the 910's and new 712 irons are amazing. Oddly enough in the past two years I have switched my woods to TM R9 Supertri TP and R9 TP 3 wood. I always swore I wouldn't play TM but these things work so well for me and I'm too cheap to buy the 910's!

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    "If I had my way, I'd make a Titleist bag, but...is part of the allure of being an amateur that you can make up a bag of clubs that are advantageous to the player as opposed to just having all the same manufacturer? I guess it's the Rocco Mediate Dick's Sporting Goods sponsorship."

This isn't necessarily true. You do see players on the Tour using one brand of woods and another brand of irons sometimes. Granted it's usually a lesser known player but I am sure if someone like Phil wanted to play Callaway irons, and a Taylor Made driver, both companies would yield to it.

For myself, I've always been partial to Taylor Made products, but for this year I only have one of their products in my bag, an old V-Steel. I've noticed over the last year that other company's products suit me better. And it seems like TM doesn't care as much about the regular product offering that us regular Joe's are able to purchase as say for example Ping does. And Ping cares too. If you call them or email them, they actually get back to you and genuinely seem glad to be helping. And speaking specifically of TM, their tolerances and standard offerings are not what some of the other brands are. I am no longer going to dedicate myself to one brand but instead try out different brands and use what works best, not what looks best, as TM product is usually the best looking in my opinion!
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I have played almost an all Callaway bag for many years; including putter and wedges. But last year a Wishon 919THi driver made its way into my bag and it is amazing. I have also ordered a Wishon 775Hs 3 Hybrid.
    My Callaway X-22 irons are still in the bag, but again last year I came across a great deal on some KZG Evolution irons and they are great too, just not forgiving enough to play everyday.
    I had all Callaway in my wedges, but this year I went back to Clevland 54 sand wedge and Golfworks CER Oil Soaked 58 lob wedge; my X-22 sand and lob wedges just were not doing it for me last season.
    Now having said all this I would, if my budget allowed, go to a complete Wishon bag including the putter.
    I may just end up that way if I order one Wishon club a year.

Edit: I will never play Taylormade clubs. Taylormade clubs will never end up in my bag. Call me a hater if you want to.

Edit 2: Argh, I just realized that I love and play the TM Black LDP ball, damn you Taylormade!
    Last edited by Break68; 02-29-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    Titleist through and through me. For my irons, I think I have owned 4 sets (962s, 990s, 762s, AP2s) and have never really used any other irons in the past 15 years. Woods are a different story, I jumped around a lot cause I never liked Titleist woods until the 910s came - now I have the D2 and F (Also have an old 906F 18* that makes an appearance every now and then). Also baggin 3 Spin Mill Vokeys and a Scotty.

I love buying golf clubs and always dream of my perfect bag, but at this point, I would just buy all the same gear as I have now so it isnt as much fun as it used to be. LOL

If I was to change manufacturers, I would consider PING, I like what they are offering these days.

I definitely think it is mental too - I'm sure all the custom stuff out there is just as good I just dont think I would be comfortable playing it.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Cally woods, Cally irons, Scotty putter, and wedges from Golfworks. I don't mind the melting pot as long as nothing Nike goes into my bag!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    All Wishon except for the putter here.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    No brand loyalty on my part....my melting pot Titleist bag has Ping driver, Adams hybrids, Callaway irons, Cleveland wedges and Odyssey putter with Nike golf balls.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Cally woods, Cally irons, Scotty putter, and wedges from Golfworks. I don't mind the melting pot as long as nothing Nike goes into my bag!
    Which wedges and which shafts are you playing from Golfworks?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Which wedges and which shafts are you playing from Golfworks?
    CER heads with UST graphite shafts ... I think

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I have owned a lot of TaylorMade gear over the years but I don't necessarily like where they are headed with some of the clubs. I am not a fan of the white heads, the RocketBallz name, their new wedges or a lot of their irons. I did like their R9 line and the XFT wedges. I have had Mizuno irons in the bag for about 4 years now and would have a tough time looking elswhere, I just prefer the clean no nonsense look of them and the soft forgings. I put a 910D3 in the bag and am exicted about that for the season. I also have a new Piretti putter which I love. I am pretty traditional when it comes to the look of clubs and not crazy about too much flash or bling. I like anser style putter heads with a plumbers neck though could use a flow neck also. Don't like mallets or anything to crazy with a putter. I don't much care for Callaway equipment, too gimmicky for me in terms of looks. After a lot of years I guess I could say I know what I like in clubs and tend not to stray too far from that.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Melting pot here...mizuno irons, TM woods, Cally hybrids, Titleist wedges and Scotty putter all in a Sun Mountain bag. Not sure that I could be more all over the map unless I started using different brands for irons...

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    All Ping here except the putter.. We will see if the driver holds out come Spring. I have hit a Titleist driver for the last 10+ years with a few very short exceptions..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    right now i have TM, Titleist, Mizuno, Piretti, Sun Mountain, Clic Gear. I like/have Titleist hats, Travis Mathew clothing and Puma shoes.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    As for brand snobbery, I snub every other brand that is not currently in my staff bag (currently Cleveland), but I go all out with matching everything, so I snub all other manufacturers until I have a change of heart.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    And definitely, this thread was not intended to offend you, Mr. Johnston!

I'm surprised to see the sentiments against TaylorMade, mostly because it seems like I see a tonne of it out on the course. As I said, the drivers I've hit have always been 10 yrds shorter than my Callaway FT3 and now my Titleist 909D2.

Someday I'll successfully get my Titleist bag, and in the mean time I'll just deal with what I have.
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I too would love to be a all Titleist fan as i love the look and feel of a lot of the equippement. But,its not the case as i tend to change clubs so many times during the season so its kind of the flavor of the month.
    What I enjoy is trying out all kinds of irons and i'm a sucker for anything that is forged.Works for me but not my game.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I've pretty much always at some point during the season carried a Taylormade driver in the bag . They just work for me , although i'm not a huge fan of the R11 series driver , i've picked up 2 sweet little R11 rescue clubs .
    As far as irons go , love Callaway and Titleist , though i picked up a set of Mizuno mp25's last fall , and i'm really looking to giving them a go this season.
    If i had my choice , i'd play Ap2's , but i can't justify the price right now , and the way my game was going last year , i'll stick with a cheaper set until i can get the cap were i want it.
    Wedges are all about feel for me , brand name doesn't matter , i've had vokeys , cg14's etc , but i'm going back to x-tours this season .
    Putting ?Currently using a scotty kombi and liking the results .
    Bag has a bit of everything.
    Driver - R7 limited / Tour Edge exotics (when i find my correct shaft)
    Woods / hybrids - Tiltleist 909f2 , TM R11 2 & 4 rescues
    Irons - Mizuno MP25
    Wedges - Callaway x-tour
    Putter - Scotty Kombi

If money was no issue , i'd have Titleist or TM or both
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I have been a callaway fan since I can remember and I am not really sure why...I can't seem to find anything better than what I currently have in the bag. I would like to go to all Titleist but nothing I have tried has truly out performed what I have in the bag. The only thing non-cally in my bag is the putter and that most likely will never change. Currently rolling a Kombi-s and have made everything down here in FL thus far. Going to be looking at a belly putter when scotty releases his new GoLo putter (can't wait!).

So I guess to answer your question, I prefer the all cally and second I would go all Titleist (simply because I like the classic look and they tend to stay that way, with a few exceptions).

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Nike sucks. The rest is fine. That is all.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Albatross freddyottawa is on a distinguished road freddyottawa's Avatar
    All Mizuno (except for my SeeMore putter) here and have been for quite some time now. Have bought other clubs from other companies, but always come back to Mizuno.

7 Iron Vix02 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Nike sucks. The rest is fine. That is all.
    +1

I like the way you think!

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    I have gradually been building a complete TaylorMade bag. I am even taking it a step further and trying to assemble a bag using the same line of clubs. In my mind, they were designed to work well together. I know it's just in my head but I still do it!!!

I am currently using a bag full of R9 TP offerings from Taylor Made, from Driver to Pitching Wedge, my wedges are the old TP Rac's and my putter is the Ghost.

I just like the look of the bag when everything fits together! Lately I have been tempted to try the Cobra Amp line due to my well documented passion of everyhting shiny and flashy, but having tried them in the sims, I do not like the look from adress and the feel so for now I will have to make due with flashy grips and colorful paintfill in my R9's.
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    Why does the Nike brand bother you guys so much? I find the golf balls are decent but I have to admit I have never hit a VR iron yet...

I am tempted to buy a VR Driver this year and game that. I liked it in the Sim at GT...I currently have a mix of TM R7 Driver, 5w (never, ever leaving the bag) with Cally FT IZ Hybrid and Cally Diablos and Cally X wedges...Putter is TM Spider which I love also...Carried in my sweet OGIO cart bag...

I would love to try the AP2 as well...or the TM MB/CB combo irons...they look sick...

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    For a number of years (pretty much since I started playing golf) I have been a TM guy. Most all of my clubs have been TM. With the exception of wedges and putter (owned a TM putter for a week before selling it). It was not until I went for a driver fitting and gaining 25 yards using a 910 D3 that I even thought of using anything titleist other than wedges and putter. Always thought Titleist was for the more accomplished player.

Looking in my bag now, everything has somehow changed to Titleist except for my hybrids. 910D3 driver, 910 3W, AP2 irons, Vokey SM wedges and a Scotty NP2SS. I will probably purchase a Titlesit hybrid to replace my last remnants of TM even thought it probably won't make a difference.

I have never liked the look or feel of Callaway and Cobra woods, and Callaway irons. Never considered a Nike club until I started playing with Gropper regularly.

Now, I probably would consider Nike clubs and the new Razrfit driver looks interesting too.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by shaner85 View Post
    Why does the Nike brand bother you guys so much? I find the golf balls are decent but I have to admit I have never hit a VR iron yet...
    For me, during my teen years I played lots of tennis, basketball, soccer and Nike was a leading company in those sports. But in golf, Nike was not a big player until Tiger came along. So whenever I see a Nike golf product I see a basketball/soccer/tennis company who got into the golf game late, signed a superstar, and is selling their golf equipment based on the fact Tiger uses it.

I want to play the best equipment I can afford. I don't want to play a Nike ball because of the swoosh, or b/c the best golfer uses it. I want to know that it's better than a Pro V1. Nike does not make a case for me to use their products because they're better, so the only thing left for me to assume is that they expect me to play their equipment because of their cool commercials and because Tiger uses it. I guess a lot of people buy it for this reason. As a person who doesn't like to follow the crowd unless the equipment really is the best, I don't see why I should use Nike.

Case in point: I use a Scotty Cameron putter because they are regarded as one of the best putters, not because Tiger used(s) one.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    i've played clubs from the majority of the manufactures and find they all offered a line of clubs at one time or another that i really liked. i've never been to concerned about keeping all the clubs in my bag with one company as sometimes all the products from a specific line might not work for me. i loved the older titliest drivers 983 series but hated the hybrid they came out with, really liked the first TM rac mb's but hated the wedges and putters and broke to many of there drivers. every company in my opinion has something to offer and its just about finding what looks, feels, and works for me.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    For me, during my teen years I played lots of tennis, basketball, soccer and Nike was a leading company in those sports. But in golf, Nike was not a big player until Tiger came along. So whenever I see a Nike golf product I see a basketball/soccer/tennis company who got into the golf game late, signed a superstar, and is selling their golf equipment based on the fact Tiger uses it.

I want to play the best equipment I can afford. I don't want to play a Nike ball because of the swoosh, or b/c the best golfer uses it. I want to know that it's better than a Pro V1. Nike does not make a case for me to use their products because they're better, so the only thing left for me to assume is that they expect me to play their equipment because of their cool commercials and because Tiger uses it. I guess a lot of people buy it for this reason. As a person who doesn't like to follow the crowd unless the equipment really is the best, I don't see why I should use Nike.

Case in point: I use a Scotty Cameron putter because they are regarded as one of the best putters, not because Tiger used(s) one.

I can see where you are coming from that's for sure...And I will be willing to bet that the Nike marketing people knew the golf equipment buyers being targeted would be in 2 camps...Those who wanted what Eldrick has regardless of performance improvements to their respective scores and those who want the best equipment on the market regardless of who is playing it and feel the way you do Pablo...Either way, Nike got what they wanted...

I would argue that Nike got real popular when MJ was winning multiple rings with the Bulls in the 80-90s ( i was only about 10 at the time so I cant remember if Nike was big before MJ)...They have a way of getting in at the right time with the right athletes...And making a killing doing it...

There will always be that player who has whatever his favorite tour pro has regardless if his index goes up or down...I am not that guy for sure...LOL...I play what I can afford first like most players out there...Thank god for the For Sale forum on this site...

Off topic, but I'd like to see a golf course snobbery thread. Probably wouldn't stay open very long.

Thread Information