100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Golf and Running.

Just wondering if there are any avid runners on this forum.
    I started running at the end of last summer and got hooked. Sure help drop almost 20lbs. By the end of the golf season I felt great, but the golf swing felt a lot different with a 'new'body and struggled in the fall. I did however shoot a lower score (76) over the holidays on vacation, so I thought running is helping. Therefore, I stepped up my running over the winter and just completed my first Marathon yesterday at the War Museum. I want to continue running (30 - 50 km/week), but wondering how it may cut into my golf game. Is there any golfers and runners out there and any advice or opinions?
    Bite, Bite!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    One of the members at Manderley starts as early as possible, plays by himself and runs the course as he plays. Hit , run, hit...
    He plays 18 holes in 45 minutes before going to work. Yah... he's in pretty good shape. He doesn't keep score. He played with us (walking) one day and I figure he broke 80.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I tried getting into running, did a 1/2marathon a couple years ago but found it hard on my body... being a bigger guy.

Not running, but I have been hooked on cycling for the last 2 years.
    I have found that it helped me a lot with golf, building a very solid base for the swing. I too found some getting used to after dropping some kilos, but it seemed a quick transition with more power/flexibility to boot in my swing.

Do you belong to a club? I know for me, I have club storage at the club so I cycle to/from the course and just shower before I go out and practice/play. Its kept me in better shape and also saved some $$ on gas money.

Birdie 4ems is on a distinguished road
    I ran when I was in university and did a lot of road racing. Had PRs of 18:30 (5K) and 38:10 (10K). But that was 24 years ago! I took it up again last 12/26/2010, right after Christmas. Mixed it with golf all of 2011 and it was okay but after running a 5K last October, I was hooked again. Haven't missed a run day since Nov. 12, 2011. My BMI (body mass index) went from 25.1 to its current 20.5. Lost 30 pounds. Running is now my priority. Training is going well enough and if I hit my race times this season, I might contemplate a Boston qualifier in 2013 as a 45-year old. At the moment I'm up to 75K a week and will increase it as it gets warmer. I still like golf. But the "return on investment" with my running is a lot more satisfying than a good round of golf. It really will depend on which is more important to you. How'd you do in the marathon that you ran?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Reading this thread makes me feel fat and lazy
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I took up running 3 years ago and lost 26 pounds in 5 months and was running up to 75 minutes 5 times a week. (I hadn't run since high school, I played 7 sports in high school and ran occasionally to keep in shape.) Not sure how much distance I was covering. But then December freezing rain storms hit and I just couldn't do it. -25 running was just no fun in the freezing rain and snow. I am thinking about starting up again. Apparently you have to do more than think about it.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I started again last year, ran four 5k's. I like it at times but don't always love it and get bored, hence why 5k is as far as I can run anymore. running in the winter isn't great unless its sunny, no wind and not too cold. I also like biking to offset the pounding the running gives me and I can bike for a lot longer and not get bored. I've done a bit of running this winter but will start up soon. The key is entereing races and then having a goal to attain, otherwise motivation becomes difficult.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ems View Post
    I ran when I was in university and did a lot of road racing. Had PRs of 18:30 (5K) and 38:10 (10K). But that was 24 years ago! I took it up again last 12/26/2010, right after Christmas. Mixed it with golf all of 2011 and it was okay but after running a 5K last October, I was hooked again. Haven't missed a run day since Nov. 12, 2011. My BMI (body mass index) went from 25.1 to its current 20.5. Lost 30 pounds. Running is now my priority. Training is going well enough and if I hit my race times this season, I might contemplate a Boston qualifier in 2013 as a 45-year old. At the moment I'm up to 75K a week and will increase it as it gets warmer. I still like golf. But the "return on investment" with my running is a lot more satisfying than a good round of golf. It really will depend on which is more important to you. How'd you do in the marathon that you ran?
    If I compare my marathon to golf it would be like, Golfing Bethpage black from the tips in windy and cold conditions. Shot -1 on the front 9 then a 41 on the back 9. Happy that I completed my first marathon, but know I can do so much better with better preparation, hill training, and fueling the muscles. Every thing was great till the cramps 5km in. Like I shot a double then triple bogey on 17 and 18. Finished with in 3 hours 47. I have never been a serious runner, just ran about 1 a week after highschool and university sports. I am thinking about the better rewards from running that you do with golf, but will never quit golf as my son is so eager to play with me this summer. Great PB's BTW. Not quite up there.. yet.
    Bite, Bite!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    Just wondering if there are any avid runners on this forum.....
    Is there any golfers and runners out there and any advice or opinions?
    Having been a victim of 8 marathons, with 3 in the fall after training all summer, it is obviously essential to keep well hydrated if you are going to play a lot of golf too. Even so, at running 80 to 100 km per week, and playing golf, there were too many occasions when playing the last few holes was very difficult. In following my 6 days per week training programme, I tried to play golf, when possible, on the "easy" days and avoided the day of the long depletion run and the days of speed workouts. Plus, running first thing in the morning gives you a chance to recover before late day golf, if you work daytime.

While golf has brought a lot of great moments, the feeling after crossing the finish line of the first marathon was satisfying like no other. Unfortunately, 25 years later, my 5k race pace is slower than my marathon pace of years ago.

Good luck with your running.

Birdie 4ems is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    If I compare my marathon to golf it would be like, Golfing Bethpage black from the tips in windy and cold conditions. Shot -1 on the front 9 then a 41 on the back 9. Happy that I completed my first marathon, but know I can do so much better with better preparation, hill training, and fueling the muscles. Every thing was great till the cramps 5km in. Like I shot a double then triple bogey on 17 and 18. Finished with in 3 hours 47. I have never been a serious runner, just ran about 1 a week after highschool and university sports. I am thinking about the better rewards from running that you do with golf, but will never quit golf as my son is so eager to play with me this summer. Great PB's BTW. Not quite up there.. yet.
    Tigershot, my PBs were from when I was 18. Probably won't ever sniff 20 minutes for 5K again. Wow, 3:47 with 30-50 kms. a week! I congratulate you, that's quite the time for that mileage.

Thread Information