100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar

Tour caddies aligning players

I was watching Kyle Stanley play today and I noticed his caddy lining him up on every bloody shot he took. It reminded me of the LPGA. I think this practice has no place at the highest levels of professional golf. Alignment to the target is a crucial skill that people struggle with all the time and I do not think that a caddy should be allowed to stand behind a player and make sure that they are aimed at the target correctly. Thoughts?

Gap Wedge Kosmo is on a distinguished road Kosmo's Avatar
    Caddies have been helping read greens for years, but, I agree, it's getting a little too much to help the player get their alignment corrected on the tee box and fairways too.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Not only can a caddie line up his player, but he can also show his player how to make the swing to effect a particular shot - so long as play is not delayed.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    I was watching Kyle Stanley play today and I noticed his caddy lining him up on every bloody shot he took. It reminded me of the LPGA. I think this practice has no place at the highest levels of professional golf. Alignment to the target is a crucial skill that people struggle with all the time and I do not think that a caddy should be allowed to stand behind a player and make sure that they are aimed at the target correctly. Thoughts?
    Do we extend your suggestion to partners in four ball tournaments, too?

In addition to alignment, D 6-4/10 describes some of the other duties that a caddie may perform showing clearly that the caddie and the player are a team. The only issue that I have with a caddie helping a player to align is the extra time it may take. If there was a fixed, pace of play time for each stroke, that was consistently enforced on Tour, as we have enforced in the amateur ranks, then it would not matter if the caddie aligns the player of not.

As an aside, penalizing Tour players strokes for slow play versus fining them for an accumulation of slow times, would speed up Tour play and eventually ours, too.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    That is what a traditional caddy has always been paid for.

If there is a question of slow play and a player is on the clock, the time taken by the caddy is included in the allowance for the stroke and preparation (usually 40 seconds).

The pro tour POP regs include stroke penalties as well as fines.
    Last edited by AAA; 02-18-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    So AAA when was the last time ANY tour player was penalized a stroke for slow play??????

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    So long as the players don't fall behind, I don't see how there is a problem. You can say alignment is crucial but so is:

-calculating the wind direction and force
    -reading greens
    -calculating accurate yardages
    -assessing lies in the rough/bunker
    -choosing correct club and shot type
    -mentally preparing for a given shot/circumstance
    -marking your score and playing partners

Those are all essentially what caddies are paid for. If not, why not just hire a teenage looper each tour stop and pay him $200, $100 if you miss the Cut??

Caddies are hired to give the player the best chance to win, of course they should give the Tour Pro a better chance at success than us Amateurs without a caddie... if not, what's their purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    So AAA when was the last time ANY tour player was penalized a stroke for slow play??????
    I have no idea. I don't follow the pro tours.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    Those are all essentially what caddies are paid for. If not, why not just hire a teenage looper each tour stop and pay him $200, $100 if you miss the Cut??
    Or hire gbower to caddie for you. For a Coke and a hot dog, he does a pretty good job.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    And he can help you with rules' questions!

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Or hire gbower to caddie for you. For a Coke and a hot dog, he does a pretty good job.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

They say that for a Coke and a hot dog, he does pretty well anything.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Sorry has to be Diet Coke!!!!!!

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I know for certain that Se Ri Pak was penalized stroke(s) at the Canadian Women's Open held at Niagara.

Although not common, it does happen. Normally penalty strokes require a player to have at least two "bad" times in the same round. Once warned, they are very careful to not have any bad times and hence avoid penalty strokes.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    caddies helping players with their alignment, with their swing, on the greens, next they will be getting girls for them too, Oh, I guess they do that too, right Stevie
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    caddies helping players with their alignment, with their swing, on the greens, next they will be getting girls for them too, oh, i guess they do that too, right stevie
    lol....

Thread Information