CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Yeah, I can understand that. If your friend doesn't know the rules then there is no INTENTION to cheat you - its just a mistake. In that case I would certainly point out the infraction but not necessarily apply the penalty - this time.
    Whether you friend INTENDED to cheat or not is irrelevant when it come to applying the rules. Mistakes cost strokes, and just like a duck hook out of bounds, there are consequences. If we are going to play the game with 100% honesty, based on the assumption that your friend wants to learn the rules and after you pointed out the infraction, would you not expect him to ask, "What's the penalty?" and add the one or two strokes to his score? The penalty is not a choice, nor is it a choice to ignore the penalty, "this time." It is against the rules to waive a rule(1-3), therefore both players are disqualified.

Unlike hockey for example, if a tripp is missed by the ref, there is no penalty, whereas in golf, if you break a rule, the penalty is automatic. If you choose to say you scored 78 instead of 80, then "cheating," whether intentional or not took place, or whether he was aware that it was, or not, it still happened.

I hope that my intention of my comments are not misinterpreted. This is not a shot nor is it a criticism, it is just an attempt to be 100% honest.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Whether you friend INTENDED to cheat or not is irrelevant when it come to applying the rules. Mistakes cost strokes, and just like a duck hook out of bounds, there are consequences. If we are going to play the game with 100% honesty, based on the assumption that your friend wants to learn the rules and after you pointed out the infraction, would you not expect him to ask, "What's the penalty?" and add the one or two strokes to his score?
    True enough, but as I said before - in golf you are your own referee. I don't expect everyone to make the same choices that I would, even if I obviously believe it is the right course of action. If no harm was intended, I'm not prepared to jeopardize our friendship because I feel he's making the wrong "call". It's only a game, after all. We've all made mistakes, and received more forgiveness for them then we deserved.

Of course, if harm was intended, then we were not really friends.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Whether you friend INTENDED to cheat or not is irrelevant when it come to applying the rules.......I hope that my intention of my comments are not misinterpreted. This is not a shot nor is it a criticism, it is just an attempt to be 100% honest.
    Which is true, guys, if golf is the end all and be all of life. But if I'm out there, I"ll say, as quick as a heart beat, "Take that over", if someone yelled during my friend's backswing and he duck hooks it into the woods...

I'd rather the conditions stayed the same and take the shot over, and I'd rather lose the $$$, then care that much about the rules.

Now if I'm playing a round in the OG Tour, or some competition, you're damn right I wouldn't cheat, and I'd gladly be told of a violation and take my lumps.

Two different situations in my opinion.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Here's an interesting quote I saw today:

If your opponent has trouble remembering whether he shot a six or a seven,
    he probably shot an eight.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

3 Wood jimrobin is on a distinguished road
    I'm sure the players in jimrobin's example knew they were breaking the rules, but they cheated anyway because they thought they could get away with it.
    Actually Terry I don't think they knew the rules. These guys are not golf freaks like some of us. They play for the fun of it and don't get too technical. Much like the majority of people I know.

To be honest, most people I know (unlike myself and most people in this forum) would get turned off if someone got too technical in the rules with them.

PS
    I like that one Colby.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    along those lines...

Golf, the game where you yell "Fore!", shoot 5 and write 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobin
    Actually Terry I don't think they knew the rules. These guys are not golf freaks like some of us. They play for the fun of it and don't get too technical. Much like the majority of people I know.
    Well, I think you'd have to be pretty new to the game to think that deliberately putting at your partner's ball and having him pick it up (without marking it) while your ball is in motion is perfectly OK.

FWIW, I would have asked the player to either mark his ball or play his ball first, and if he refused I would simply inform him that under the rules he MUST choose one option or the other. Some people might think I'm being too strict, but I've found that most people are fine with it in "money" rounds if you are able to speak up before the shot rather than after. It is bringing up rules infractions after the fact that always seems to start arguments.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    along those lines...

Golf, the game where you yell "Fore!", shoot 5 and write 3.
    and along those lines...

the best wood in my bag is....a pencil!

3 Wood jimrobin is on a distinguished road
    Well, I think you'd have to be pretty new to the game to think that deliberately putting at your partner's ball and having him pick it up (without marking it) while your ball is in motion is perfectly OK.

Terry:
    Sorry I probably should have been a bit more clear.
    The ball was outside the hole and a little bit behind it. He didn't intend to hit at it, he just wanted it there to help him with his line. But as the putt was rolling the partner realized that it would probably hit his ball and he ran and picked it up (thinking he was doing the proper thing).
    Either way my point was, "I was the jerk" for pointing out the infraction and suggesting a penalty on them.

On a side note one of them is an NHL Linesman.
    Hope he knows those rules a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobin
    Either way my point was, "I was the jerk" for pointing out the infraction and suggesting a penalty on them.
    Well I still don't believe you were a jerk at all, Jim. In fact, I think THEY were being jerks for insulting you.

Perhaps you should have said something immediately after the player told his partner to leave his ball and before he putted, but then hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it? The fact remains that it is a competitive round with money on the line, and therefore they had no cause to insult you for suggesting that it should be played according to the rules of the game. They should have apologized, and at worst complained for not telling them in advance.

IMHO, the bottom line is that you can't play for money and make up the rules as you go along. You've got to play by The Rules of Golf, or at the very least The Rules of Golf Except for ______, where _______ is spelled out in advance. Otherwise, forget about the money and play just for fun.

Thread Information