100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge left72 is on a distinguished road

Distance net to wall., recommendations?

I'm looking for a minimal distance between hitting net and wall so that the ball does not bounce off of the wall. Didn't find a specific thread, some mention 12"-15" for an impact screen. Any hints?

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Totally depends on your screen and tightness. You could have the same screen as someone else, but maybe 15' wide and with a driver hit to the middle, you could probably deflect the screen a good 2-3'. I would just pad the back wall? Old Comforter? Maybe put a net taught behind it?

Sand Wedge left72 is on a distinguished road
    I'm very tight on room, so my net is 7' by 7' and my current planning leaves 40cm (15") between net and wall. If the wall gets dents, I don't care. I was thinking of stuffing an old blanket in between net and wall.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    i heard <= 18 inches general but don't quote me and its probably specific to the material, ball speed, and tightness. i built a new wall out from my old wall around the 8 x 14 screen. its currently 15" from the wall but for my specific application the ball doesn't travel that far. before i built it though i wasn't sure.

check the forum link out below for some ideas...

i have two windows behind my screen. i covered them with white 2" thick insulation that i cut out and it sits inside flush with the window sill. so the outside looks like white curtains are drawn. i then covered them inside with black out curtain. i then stapled black carpet with padding above screen level and hung it down to protect the back wall just in case.

i bought a defective screen from foresight that was a plastic like material that caused the ball to rebound over my head into the walls behind me no matter how loose I made it. to show that the ball was not rebounding off the back wall i video taped shots from behind the screen. for my ball speed and that material it wasn't even going half the way to the wall.

my current screen is pr-20 from westcoastnetting.com and i have it fairly tight. i also added the home depot special of weed control black cloth material (cheap) and taped that up right behind the screen (not too it but around the 2x4 frames a couple inches away) to try to help the image better thinking that may do better than the black carpet that is 15" away. no idea if it helps.

i also have a center speaker installed near the top of the screen (as part of a 7.1 setup) behind it that comes out from the wall maybe 5 inches and its been safe so far. the tension at the edges of the screen are tight so i think its safe and the main part to confirm is the center of the screen.

i suspect it is different for each screen, the tightness you make it, and your ball speed. the reseller you buy it from should tell you from their experience with that specific material what is a safe distance.

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ection-Options...

good luck.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    I'd say with the screen sufficiently taunt, you can get away with foam board or old bed comforter easily at 15" away. Best way to test it is to rip drivers into the middle!

Thread Information