CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P3p ?s

Putter Pswnc83 is on a distinguished road

P3p ?s

Hey all,
    I've been reading the forum the past few days and Im trying to narrow my home sim choice down. It seems the p3p, the vector or maybe y'all can talk me into another brand. (i know the vector is more of an analyzer but seems very accurate) I had a question in regards to the grass/rubber mat you hit off of for the p3p. It seems to be a fairly thick slab. Are you hitting above your feet? Does anyone with this unit feel it hurts on the real course when playing a normal lie. Does vector have any plans to add courses to their product or will it be strictly for club fitting/driving range? Im a bogey golfer and want this to help my consistency (vector) but also want to play some courses. Less than 3 grand may make the decision easy but hoping anyone with experience could give me some feedback. Thanks

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    You do undertand that the integration between the Vector and the P3pro is only adding the launch angle to the P3pro. The vector launch monitor is not a stand alone sim. You use the P3pro and with the vector integration the launch angle (no spin, ball direction or any other data) is used to show the flight. The ball info and flight does show a real delay and the spin data is all from the p3pro club analysis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-CbY-cZSs

Yea. I spoke to a rep from p3p and they told me. Didn't sound like it'd be worth getting both. I read in another post you have the p3p. Do you think the accuracy is good enough to see improvement in your game, ( assuming I'm still a bogey golfer)? Any thoughts on the thick mat of the p3p affecting your game since it looks like you'd be hitting close to 6 inches above your feet?

The p3pro is a good sim. Its similair to the DD in the accuracy but has more sensors and a few more features. For range and club analysis its good and would recomend it. I have the genetation 1 grass top which is firm and better than the rubber top. The Generation 2 top is better from my understanding but overpriced when you research the various aftermarket tops available. Just look on ebay and this site to see the options. You can build up your stance mat to equal the top of the P3pro mat so thats a non issue. I thinmk it is accurate enough to see improvements but debate if its any better than the dd at the pricepoint.

Do you think the vector is worth 1800 as opposed to the p3p at 600? I don't think the vector offers any games or courses but from what I've read it's much more accurate? Do you know of any other brand that may be better or the p3p/dd the best of both for great price?

The vector is a good launch monitor and will give ball data such as spin, speed and direction. Its great for fittings and is somewhat accurate. It gives no club data. What are you wanting to do - practice at the range, play simulation etc.? Are you looking for club information to help with swing mechanics and ball contact? Do you want ball info?

Both. I def want to drop some strokes but want to play some courses too. I would think swing mechanics may be more helpful then ball info for my handicap, but I may be wrong there.

You are right. My suggestion to drop the handicap would be to have a short game area in your house first. An area that you can practice putting and chipping. That would be first and foremost. The swing setup can vary but from what your telling me I would recommend a swing analyser that has the option of course play. The Optishot is a good entry level analyser and probably the P3pro is the next best bet. they will give you decent club path, speed and direction but no ball data so no real info on ball contact, speed, launch angle etc. To get that you can use the P3pro and Vector or add the lauch cam but in my opinion (having have this) get the Protee, GSA or Trugolf sims. They work with shadow based technology vs IR by P3pro or DD and are more accurate. Setup is not that hard. Launch monitors like the GC2 would be a great option but are more expensive and don't give you club info unless you get the HMT add on that is very expensive. On top of simulation I would recommend little things like a mirror and video setup to to see your swing. Of course the best advice would be to take lessons from a reputable instructor.

So in a nutshell the vector may be more helpful but won't have the courses to play with when compared to the entry level sims? Have you heard if vector may enter that market or just keep integrating with others? If nothing else I'm going to do some research and drop some money on a projector so I can double it as home theatre and make the wife happy. Thanks for your insight and advice. So many variables to consider...

Yes there is. Remember the short game needs no simulator. The Vector from my understanding will not get simulation any time soon. They are partnered with Trugolf and P3pro through their simulation. Not sure how practical that is though??

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    You are right there Pswnc83.
    Get a nice projector and get/ make a nice dual function screen/impact screen.
    Then the cost of simulator will easier go down easier.

I remember my wife wasn't all to happy about the cost of projector, screens and simulator (DD) but after a few minutes into the first blue ray movie all was forgotten.

I'm sure there's a post already but since you've done this maybe you know off the top of your head. What were some of the measurements/distances you used or wish you had when building your blue ray theatre/golf sim?

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    http://probablegolfinstruction.com/g...statistics.htm
    Pswnc83
    Sounds like your a reasonbly good golfer already since you are playing bog. The above link will give you and idea of how you compare with golfer with a similar averge score. As Bubba22 points out, the short game is most likely the area where the biggest gains can be had. I have seen exceptions to this. I have a friend that averages only about 6 greens in regulation, yet consistantly scores in the 70s. He has a good short game, but is a great putter. He needs to work on his long game and iron play. Now me, I've averaged 13 greens in requlation, yet I have averaged only 73.3 because I have averaged over 33 putts per round. I need to work on my putting. I hope this link helps.

I've had a P3Pro for a number of years and I personally believe it's hard to beat as a swing analyzer. The info gained is invaluable. I would also suggest you get a grass top for it if you go that way. I have a Gen. II grass top from P3Pro and agree with Bubba22 that it is a bit overpriced. I personally prefer the P3pro, but the DD is hard to beat for the price.

Caddy golfun is on a distinguished road
    The couple or more times I tried the P3Pro(at SA) it seemed to be accurate.(club readings)
    And the most important part is it worked with all the clubs I tried. Driver also was really accurate.
    It has a lot of sensors which seems to me is very very important when just measuring the club head.
    That was just my impression from the times I used it. Hope it helps in some way.

Thanks all for replies and advice. Stonebattle--my short game is decent i dont have any statistics but between the 2 i feel my driver/irons need the most work. I've always chosen the course over the range and just need to hit a few thousand balls to iron out a consistent swing and ball strike. Thanks again for taking the time and any other advice I would welcome. It will be a few months but will post some finished pics of my theater/sim if anyone cares.

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    Pswnc83, I have a Vector Pro with VRange and I really like it and feel it is mostly very accurate although I do wish it had course simulation. I had a P3Pro before the Vector and I was not happy with it at all, I did not like taping the clubs or feel that ball flight was very accurate.

Here are some pictures of my setup, if you have any question just ask! http://www.flickr.com/photos/4644826...7629302202377/

Netcam
    I have issues with the P3pro, but I still find it a good tool for many shots. I was wondering what you disliked about it? Nice setup by the way.

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebattle View Post
    Netcam
    I have issues with the P3pro, but I still find it a good tool for many shots. I was wondering what you disliked about it? Nice setup by the way.
    Thanks Stonebattle. I think the P3Pro is a ok device, I just dont get the impression that P3Pro the company will be around to support it, it seems like they not innovating on top of it or anything as if they are just going to milk the current unit and software as long as they can.

netcam
    Wow, I've been trying to figure out how I feel about the P3pro and have had a tough time. What you said really hit home. Some on this forum see the P3pro as obsolete. I don't see it that way given it's price point, but what you wrote about the lack of innovation rings true. I've had one for several years and it has help me a great deal and still does. I swing on it often, although I'm at a point in my game where I would like more real feedback for different shots.

Stonebattle what netcam wrote is 100% true. There has been very little if any good advancement by P3pro and that is a fact. They have a decent product but so does he Optishot. If you are happy with what you have and don't wan any more then so b it. If you want more advancing technology, software development, support and game simulation advancement then look elsewhere. That is why I went with Protee, but Foresight, GSA, Trugolf etc are all improving as well. Bottom line is that P3pro are slow to develop and are basically the same as they were 5 yrs ago.

bubba22
    Thanks for those comments, and I'm beginning to understand. I spent several hours reading a ton of the posts on this forum and I think I have a better handle on this and the opinion of many folks.

No problem Stonebattle. I am by no means slamming the P3pro lets get that straight. All sims have their place. The Optishot is a good sim for most home users given its pricepoint. The real dissapointment with the P3pro has been the rediculously slow advancements in the software side (and hardware with the launch cam, vector integration etc) of things. The unit and its use as a swing analyser is decent but if one wants more (it is 2012 isn't it???) then why can't they come through??? I really feel your frustration because I went through it (especially since it isn't free for any of these products and the software) and luckily had users from this forum who completely understood. I had no choice but to upgrade from the P3pro as they were not advancing at all!!!!

Sand Wedge jimmyjames is on a distinguished road
    I agree and disagree, although I totally understand where you are coming from. The p3pro development on the software side has been pathetic. The fact that there is still not complete integration with the prem. courses is ridiculous. While they are a small company, this should have been addresses before they offered it to the public. That said, the addition of online play, and the ability to have p3pro "coaches" give virtual lessons is a cool feature (although I would rather see the software fixed first). Also being able to play with other via the Internet is progressive. In the end I think they have made a calculated decision to focus their time and money where they see the most potential for growth. Not saying I agree, just seems to be what they are doing.

Still...I wish they would fix the software issues. For me the price is right, and I do think it is more accurate than the optishot (if number of sensors matter-Martin seems to imply on his site that they do). I don't think they are going away anytime soon, but I do think they are gambling that online is more important than perfect integration. Time will tell.

Online play before the courses are well integrated makes absolutely no sense, you must agree!!!

jimmyjames
    I also like some of those features, although I don't play online. As far as a the software, the thing that surprises me is that there seems to be many people that like the P3pro premium courses, maybe even most that have them. I know this because I read some of their reviews and comments on the web. To them there seems to be no need for software fixes. If there is anyone like that on this forum, I would like to hear their perspective.

I agree with bubba22 though.

Sand Wedge jimmyjames is on a distinguished road
    Bubba22, You misunderstood. I DO agree the software should integrate. Furthermore, I don't really care about online play. Where I was disagreeing is that it was implied they haven't done ANY real advancement. They are doing things, just not what IMHO matters most which is the software working properly and integrating with things such as the launch cam. That's why I'm guessing they are choosing to only focus on certain areas of development, and not addressing those that aren't "new, better" features that they can then market. Kinda like what has gone on with Madden football since they effectively monopolized the market since 06.

(I hope someone at p3pro reads these posts.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames View Post
    (I hope someone at p3pro reads these posts.
    Been there, done that.....

P3pro does not have a programmer on site. They outsource it. I don't think they even have access to the code. My guess is that all changes or feature requests have to be paid for or are paid under some kind of contract. This is very different than what other simulator companies are doing. Which is why it takes them so long to make a change to the software.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    At least you have the product- try Zelocity 2 months and still waiting........

What, no Zelocity yet CPA. This is stealing!!!!

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Yes I am in contact with the fraud Squad and just about to start the ball rolling

Thread Information