CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar

Exclamation THE OFFICIAL 2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP THREAD

HERE WE GO AGAIN !

This is the official registration thread for the
    2012 Ottawagolf forum vs Torontogolfnuts forum Ryder cup

Trillium woods golf club , Belleville , ON
    price is $115 for all three rounds

Saturday June 2nd & Sunday June 3rd.

(optional practice round Friday June 1st)

Two teams of 20 , playing team and single matches (TBD)

So ,as in the other thread , there are a few changes to the competition this year .

1) You must have an approved handicap (tracked by an approved software , Rcga , Ottawagolf etc). If you don't have a handicap by May 1st , then you forfeit your spot !
    2) Deposit secures your spot ($100) , payable up to May 1st , this will lock you in for the tourney .If you bail out after that date , it is up to you to find a replacement in order to get your money back (only exceptions are personal and medical issues)
    3) Previous attendees please post your intentions to play or not.
    After that it is on a first post basis as to who goes in their place (see list below)

The team is -

Wilster (Co-ordinator) - IN
    Xtour (Captain) - IN
    Sebber (Co-Captain) - IN
    Mpare - (senior adviser) IN
    Jvincent - (senior adviser) IN
    Spidy - IN
    Dutch - IN
    Carl Brunet - IN
    Laflsy10 - IN
    John - IN
    Outoftherough - IN
    Crosstown - IN
    Coreythebody - IN
    RalphB - IN
    The Saint IN
    BigJohnny69 - IN
    lobwedge - IN
    jeffc - IN
    jonf - IN
    Indio - IN
    Fallys0820 - IN
    Hearzy - IN

Spares list -

Hoolio
    Shaner85

please post any questions or comments ,
    Will
    Last edited by Wilster; 04-09-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: team update
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    If there's more interest on both sides could we look at adding 4 or 8 per side?

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If there's more interest on both sides could we look at adding 4 or 8 per side?
    i think logistically, 20 is a pretty big crowd already... but I am sure Wilster and MPare will have more insight on that!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I haven't had a chance to speak with Will about adding members to the team, but here my initial thoughts on the matter.

1. In theory there should be no problem with growing the teams by 4 to 8 players. After all, that would simply mean that more would get to enjoy this golfing adventure.

2. In the past, though, we have had a difficult time actually fielding a team based on the existing numbers. This year it appears that we will not have that problem. Appearances, though, can be deceiving. At this point, we still have 5 individuals whose status is to be determined. As well, there usually are a few individuals who will have to pull out for unforseen reasons. All of that said, this year we appear to have a very good list of potential candicates sufficient to expand the team if that was agreed to.

3. In the past, so as to ensure that we had enough members, we have allowed individuals on the team who did not meet the minimum 15 handicap criteria to be on the team. The handicap issue should not be a challenge this year. If you cannot produce evidence that you are tracking your scores in an acceptable way so as to generate a proper handicap, then you cannot qualify for the team. There will be no more of "My cap is about, oh let me see, X!" That won't cut it. So, adding more individuals to the team who can produce a proper handicap should not make life more difficult for the coordinators or captains.

4. Assuming that each side could fill in expanded teams, the other potential challenge would have been ensuring that we had sufficient daylight to complete the event. In the past, we have had events where the end of the field had a difficult time finishing before sunset. Given that we are playing in ealy June, that should not be a problem. We will have plenty of sunshine.

5. The other challenge is assuring that we have sufficient tee times allotted to us on the course. I'm not sure if the times that Charles booked could accommodate 8 to 16 more competitors. Presumably, if a decision to expand the teams were made soon, then there might not be any problem securing more tee times.

6. From a competition point of view, I don't see that adding more players would make life unbearable for the captains. Teaming up the players might be a bit more challenging, but it is one that could readily be met. As for setting up the singles matches, that is done on Saturday night so there would be plenty of time to get that done during the Saturday night banquet.

There you have my initial thoughts on the matter. Will should jump in and so too should the captains. Most importantly, a conversation should be had with Charles to see if there is any appetite on their side for expanding the teams.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Some great points , Mike
    As far as adding numbers to the team , i personally don't have a problem with it , we can add by 2 people per team , if we chose to do so.
    However , at this point in the year we have a few issues which must be resolved before we can increase the team size.

1) we need 20 first - not everyone is on the forum at this time of year and therefore we haven't heard from 5 of last years team members. I understand that the people on the waiting list are eager to play again , but we have to give the other guys a chance to respond first.

2) the TO boys have to agree - which i'm sure they will , but i'd imagine they're in a similar position like us.

3) room at the course - we would probably have to book extra tee times to accomodate the extra people , probably not real big issue.

These are the only real issues , i can see . With taking deposits this year , this should eliminate the doubtfuls , so by April 1st , of preferably before , we should have exact numbers for the trip.

Will, I will be in the USA until the first week of April. Would you accept a PayPal transfer of cash? If so, then I would be able to get you the $100 before I return home.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I think I am the only person from Ottawa who has played every event, so I have seen first hand the scrambling to fill spots as the event date nears.

Sometimes life happens and people can't make it so IMHO it's better to keep the numbers where they are for now and have a couple of spares that can fill in if needed. You never know when a kid/spouse gets sick, somebody breaks and arm/leg, or has to travel unexpectedly for work.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Will, I will be in the USA until the first week of April. Would you accept a PayPal transfer of cash? If so, then I would be able to get you the $100 before I return home.
    We'll work something out

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I think I am the only person from Ottawa who has played every event, so I have seen first hand the scrambling to fill spots as the event date nears.

Sometimes life happens and people can't make it so IMHO it's better to keep the numbers where they are for now and have a couple of spares that can fill in if needed. You never know when a kid/spouse gets sick, somebody breaks and arm/leg, or has to travel unexpectedly for work.
    Exactly , lets not be counting any chickens before April 1st , by that stage , we'll have 2 months until go time , we should have plenty of time to add numbers , should we care to do so .
    Its still early in the premature season , so hold tight for now.

For those who may want a bit of this action , feel free to add your names to the list (by posting on this thread) , we are by no means full up for spots quite yet

3 Wood corchard is on a distinguished road corchard's Avatar
    As an FYI, I've almost always had 3-4 guys ready in the background for last minute drop outs. Real life can get in the way in a hurry with sick kids, sudden injurys, and the like.

To address some of Mike's points.
    - I'm not adverse to adding more to the roster we just need to make sure that we can meet those numbers.
    - The course can handle almost any number we have given enough notice, however getting 36 in on Saturday becomes problematic beyond 24 per side unless we go to paired shotgun starts.

Probably the most important part is getting everyone together Friday and Saturday Night. There are limited locations close by with enough room to handle 48+ people and get everyone's food to them in a reasonable amount of time. We got jammed Friday night for food last year and ended up spreading all over the city in little groups.
    Last edited by corchard; 02-07-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added comments
    3-4 ...... time to settle the score

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    What are the formats for Saturday?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Exactly , lets not be counting any chickens before April 1st , by that stage , we'll have 2 months until go time , we should have plenty of time to add numbers , should we care to do so .
    Its still early in the premature season , so hold tight for now.
    Agreed! I remember the scrambling we went through last year!

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    What are the formats for Saturday?
    Same as last year , best ball , and modified alternate shot , sunday is singles matchplay.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I checked with TGN about the formats for Saturday. It's fourball, then modified alternate shot.

I would suggest that if the rosters get expanded, we consider switching these around. Alternate shot normally goes more quickly. You'll have more flexibility for starting the second 18 earlier to help beat sunset.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I checked with TGN about the formats for Saturday. It's fourball, then modified alternate shot.

I would suggest that if the rosters get expanded, we consider switching these around. Alternate shot normally goes more quickly. You'll have more flexibility for starting the second 18 earlier to help beat sunset.
    I think the reasonings for the fourball morning games , was to let everyone settle into their game first , before the mod-alternate shot round.

Personally for me , it was the opposite , started out on fire , then proceeded to heat up even more , to the point were my game just imploded around mid pm , this year i'm gonna start off crap , and finish in style

I don't think lack of light should be an issue this time around as were playing early June , the sun won't be going down until 8.45pm

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    it's nice to see the interest in this great event. But I agree with everyone....let's wait and see before adjusting the roster #s until after April 1st. As for the format, I really don't see a need to reverse it. We finished the rounds with time to spare.
    Last edited by XTOUR; 02-07-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Can we ban people from wearing Bounce Sheets hanging from their ball caps!

Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    it's nice to see the interest in this great event. But I agree with everyone....let's wait and see before adjusting the roster #s until after April 1st. As for the format, I really don't see a need to reverse it. We finished the rounds with time to spare.
    ... with time to have a beer you mean!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    Put me on the spares list...I dont work that weekend as of yet...

3 Wood corchard is on a distinguished road corchard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sebber View Post
    Can we ban people from wearing Bounce Sheets hanging from their ball caps!
    We can douse ourselves in turpentine if you like?
    3-4 ...... time to settle the score

Quote Originally Posted by corchard View Post
    Absolutely !
    but only if i can bring the matches ....

Smearing yourself with Vick's Vaporub will work as well, though it is not likely to enamour you to your partner.

Quote Originally Posted by corchard View Post

I will be playing on Friday as well in the cashspiel, though given the direction in which my cap is headed (6 now), I may be getting more strokes. Good things happen to those who wait.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 CarlBrunet is on a distinguished road CarlBrunet's Avatar
    I'm getting anxious already!! Preperations start in a month in AZ!! I'll be ready for the big event!
    I'm also working on trying to keep my bladder for more than 4 hours at a time... for those who we're at the East vs.West event

I just played 4 rounds in the last 5 days in Florida, blue tees (134 - 73.3 rating), averaging 83 strokes a round (not bad with a 6-8 beer intake), handicap at 8.5, time to start tanking some rounds so I can play at the 15 max like tgn'rs!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Absolutely !
    but only if i can bring the matches ....
    Yessssss.... then we can call you corchard a flamer!

Team Match Play Champ 2012 CarlBrunet is on a distinguished road CarlBrunet's Avatar
    Its easy Seb, just remove your 6 strokes you either took as mulligans or forgot to count because you're drunk on the course and bob's your uncle!! you become a 15 capper

Quote Originally Posted by CarlBrunet View Post
    Its easy Seb, just remove your 6 strokes you either took as mulligans or forgot to count because you're drunk on the course and bob's your uncle!! you become a 15 capper
    Wow Carl, pretty Bold considering I beat you all but one time last year!

Lol, aren't we made for each other Sebber? I never said I was better... But wolf doesn't count as a defeat.. Just sayin! Now get back on the links in FLA and practice practice practice!!

Thread Information