CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Spencer Levin Smoking...

I was disturbed to see Levin light it up while watching with my younger boys, especially when my 5 year old called it first. Just did not seem right or classy to see it on tv live. It is too bad a person with that much talent has to smoke to settle his nerves. I heard from another forum someone say, when you SMOKE you CHOKE!
    Bite, Bite!

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    I'm not sure why everyone is making a big deal about this. What about baseball players with a huge lippers their mouth the whole game? Quite a few players on tour smoke, they just seem to do a good job of not showing it on air.

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    big deal exactly - its his business and health ultimatley. So your kids see someone smoking - I'm sure in High School they'll see worse ......

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Did you notice how many times they actually showed it. The first time I thought, OK, the guy in the truck made a boo boo. Then at least 3 times more after that !

Big Deal !

Maybee the guy in the truck had heard about the bone heads in the City of Ottawa's proposal on the newest smoking ban.

I guess Spencer won't be teeing up at the Royal Pineview.
    Last edited by downhillslider; 02-06-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Les, where is this great course you speak of "Royal Pineview" in Ottawa, I must go!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Les, where is this great course you speak of "Royal Pineview" in Ottawa, I must go!
    Better not be a smoker Luc, they won't let you on or the smoking police will get you !

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Technically it's NCC land, so the City bylaw should not apply....

2 Iron SkinDawg is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone is making a big deal about this. What about baseball players with a huge lippers their mouth the whole game? Quite a few players on tour smoke, they just seem to do a good job of not showing it on air.
    My thoughts exactly. Who cares. It's extremely rare to see but in some cases they do make the mistake of filming it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I can see where people are coming from on this, these guys are supposed to be playing a professional sport and looking the part. I personally don't care and as an ex smoker know about the deliciousness of puffing while playing, it is scrumptious.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Did he run over to the porta potty and have a joint?? No, unlike Garrigus he didn't. I can understand people dont want children to see this as an example, but its not like we are watching guys run the 100 meter dash. There are all shapes and sizes that can play golf.

As soon as kids enter the real world, they will be exposed to much more harmful things than cigarettes, use it as an example.........a bad one...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Let's keep this thread clean guys, no personal attacks.

Hybrid headcase is on a distinguished road headcase's Avatar
    Nicklaus smoked alot during his playing days. He did a good job hiding it as best as he could. There are worse habits out there agreed but CBS could
    have done a better job with the camera work.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

but...

Why would a company that handles poop sponsor a golf tournament?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Have you ever seen a movie where no one was smoking??
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    watched the canadian womens open at hunt club a few yrs back, and noticed an asian lady lighting it up. It was unusual in the sense that you rarely see this on tv in a golf tourney, but it just seemed like part of her routine in her match. I am sure she played better because of it.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Hybrid headcase is on a distinguished road headcase's Avatar
    Sorry Dan, just defending myself. Headcase Deep River. Understand the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Technically it's NCC land, so the City bylaw should not apply....
    Spencer will be extatic with that news !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    And they should have, (not showing it on air).... just too bad it was the point in the round where Levin lost his lead with a Stanley birdie resulting in a 2 shot swing. Just too bad where I promote golf to my kids as the classiest game and a 'life sport' and have to see this. And they did show him smoking numerous times. However, it was a good teaching moment as I talked about stress and inappropriate ways on how to deal with it. Smoking should be band on every course, especially on a professional circuit and on live tv.
    Bite, Bite!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    And they should have, (not showing it on air).... just too bad it was the point in the round where Levin lost his lead with a Stanley birdie resulting in a 2 shot swing. Just too bad where I promote golf to my kids as the classiest game and a 'life sport' and have to see this. And they did show him smoking numerous times. However, it was a good teaching moment as I talked about stress and inappropriate ways on how to deal with it. Smoking should be band on every course, especially on a professional circuit and on live tv.
    WHAT?! So we should ban TV and all other methods of media while we are at it. If you seriously think seeing a golfer on TVsmoking is going to cause your kids to start smoking you need to re-evaluate how you are raising your kids. Kids are influenced more by the friends they hang out with than the golfer they see for 20 minutes smoking. I grew up in a family where both of my parents smoked, aunts, uncles and cousins as well as my grandmother, one of my grandfathers and my sister...and to this day I have yet to have one. IMO if this is spoiling your plans on convincing your kid not to get into smoking, you should reconsider your approach.

As you can tell I personally don't see the big deal. There are other things in this world that are much worst that kids are exposed to everyday of their life. I don't approve of smoking but I think people are making to big of a deal out of this....

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    WHAT?! So we should ban TV and all other methods of media while we are at it. If you seriously think seeing a golfer on TVsmoking is going to cause your kids to start smoking you need to re-evaluate how you are raising your kids. Kids are influenced more by the friends they hang out with than the golfer they see for 20 minutes smoking. I grew up in a family where both of my parents smoked, aunts, uncles and cousins as well as my grandmother, one of my grandfathers and my sister...and to this day I have yet to have one. IMO if this is spoiling your plans on convincing your kid not to get into smoking, you should reconsider your approach.

As you can tell I personally don't see the big deal. There are other things in this world that are much worst that kids are exposed to everyday of their life. I don't approve of smoking but I think people are making to big of a deal out of this....
    I would imagine that having the 'cool' characters in movie and television would be a much bigger influence on children when they decide whether smoking is bad or not. As a kid in elementary school, I was bombarded with propaganda on how smoking is the worst thing someone can do and how only degenerates would smoke. This caused me to look down upon anyone I met who smoked (when I was a child) and I still look back frustrated on how the school system handled that one.

I'm in university now and no where near raising a kid but (as of now) I believe that sheltering such topics from children can only have negative long run consequences. I think giving youth an unbiased account of the benefits and risks on takes if they smoke that is not to say that they balance out by any means

edit: I agree with Quinner, this is more of a commentary on Tigershot's post
    edit 2: We should be careful with imposing views on others about how to raise their children as than can turn ugly quick

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I was thinking about this topic this summer, and I realized the golf course is the last public (in most cases) place where you can smoke freely.
    I've noticed more and more that when I get matched up with a smoker that they ask "do you mind if I smoke?" which is courteous, and I'm sure occasionally, they get told "actually I do mind". I personally don't care as an ex-smoker. And I will still enjoy an occasional cigar on the course. I wonder how a golf course could promote itself as "friendly to smokers?" I also wonder how long it will be before its banned.
    Andrew

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    what's next no spitting ? stuff happens

you can't get in the way of life all you can do is tell your kids you don't approve.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I have an idea... tell your son smoking is bad for you...

My sons know that smoking is bad. We all know smoking is bad. Had a great discussion with an ex-smoker and has almost lost his life twice related to smoking. He still deals with the cravings, but the hardest thing for him is seeing young teenagers smoking and worries about the future ahead. Perhaps this is the 'teacher' in me but as a father you have such a different perspective on life. A better perspective. I for one agree with the proposed stricter smoking bylaws in our own city that is happening right now. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...of-health.html
    Times have changed, golf has changed... witnessing smoking and golfing on tv seemed to put golf back 30 years ago. Just love the new young fit golfers out there that are finally looking like 'Athletes'. BTW my kids love Ricky Fowler and Bubba Watson!
    Bite, Bite!

Thread Information