100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    wahz

Suspension due to darkness at TPC

When watching the end of thursdays coverage of TPC, the play was suspended due to darkeness. I am aware that the players may choose to finish the hole or mark and come back the next day. IF they were in the fairway, i would imagine they would want to mark. But i noticed that Nick Faldo's group was on the green when the horn blew, and he was away so he putted first. But i was wondering...Does the group make a concensus as to whether they play or if they mark? Also, what if all players but one want to play on, but the outcast is away? Are the other players allowed to play out of turn to finish the day? I know either situation would not be considereed course ettiquette, but it's possible isn't it?

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    When play is suspended, if the players choose to continue, they must continue without delay. ( eg. rain )

Each player may make his own decision as to whether to continue the hole or stop immediately.

If a player discontinues play, he is no longer "part of the group" when considering who is away.

If the players are between holes, they may not start another hole.

If one player has made a stroke from the teeing ground, the play of that hole has commenced and all others in the group may ( if they choose ) continue that hole.

If only one player in the group chooses to continue, he may not continue alone because he would have no marker and thus would not have an acceptable score. ( on the PGA Tour, markers are provided.)

BTW- Players continuing the play of hole often forget they may discontinue play at any time during the play of that hole.

Do not confuse any of this with Immediate Suspension ( eg. lightning ).

If there is a local Rule in effect for Immediate Suspension, you may not continue play AT ALL.

Even if you are in your backswing!!!!!

Thread Information