CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Ignoring a rules breach by f.c.

Suppose my fellow competitor commits a rules violation; it could be any rule but for this example let's say he makes a practice swing and clips a branch with leaves falling. Whatever the rule breach is, if he doesn't call himself on it and I don't say anything about it (suppose I thought the rule he broke was not advantageous to him and I play dumb),

would there be any penalty on me later in this tournament if there was video proof I saw it and said nothing?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    33-7/9
    Competitor Who Knows Player Has Breached Rules Does Not Inform Player or Committee in Timely Manner

The responsibility for knowing the Rules lies with all players. In stroke play, the player and his marker have an explicit responsibility for the correctness of the player's score card.

There may, however, be exceptional individual cases where, in order to protect the interests of every other player in the competition, it would be reasonable to expect a fellow-competitor or another competitor to bring to light a player's breach of the Rules by notifying the player, his marker or the Committee.

In such exceptional circumstances, it would be appropriate for the Committee to impose a penalty of disqualification under Rule 33-7 on a fellow-competitor or another competitor if it becomes apparent that he has failed to advise the player, his marker or the Committee of a Rules breach with the clear intention of allowing that player to return an incorrect score.

Related Decisions:
    · 1-3/6 Marker Attests Wrong Score Knowingly and Competitor Aware Score Wrong.

Thanks!

I feel uncomfortable telling someone that they just broke a rule, but I guess it's my responsibility to do so.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree Pablo, it is very uncomfortable when you have to step up and tell a FC that he has committed an infraction. I got some very good advice from a rules aficionado here on the forum. He said to simply state the possible infraction to the FC to give him the chance to call himself on it. Unfortunately you will probably get the answer like " Oh, I did not know that was a rules infraction, I will know for next time" OH NO!!! I was guilty of that the first few match plays I was involved in and I regret not having told the player to be honest and take his penalty. You should really speak up and tell him that unfortunately that infraction is a penalty right now and next time too. You cannot help the reaction you may get from the FC but you are protecting the field and it is our responsibility. It is much more comfortable playing with an experienced honest player who calls himself for penalties. Last year I recall in team match play a fellow competitor called himself on the first hole, that was refreshing but then again knowing that player I was not surprised that he did that, most are pretty honest.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I once saw a guy in intersectionals hack his ball like 5 times without success getting it out of the rough. He turns to me and says "if i don't make contact with the ball does it count as a stroke?"

I think he put down a 10 on his scorecard but I didn't count em up. A few holes later he quit and went home.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I agree Pablo, it is very uncomfortable when you have to step up and tell a FC that he has committed an infraction. I got some very good advice from a rules aficionado here on the forum. He said to simply state the possible infraction to the FC to give him the chance to call himself on it. Unfortunately you will probably get the answer like " Oh, I did not know that was a rules infraction, I will know for next time" OH NO!!! I was guilty of that the first few match plays I was involved in and I regret not having told the player to be honest and take his penalty. You should really speak up and tell him that unfortunately that infraction is a penalty right now and next time too. You cannot help the reaction you may get from the FC but you are protecting the field and it is our responsibility. It is much more comfortable playing with an experienced honest player who calls himself for penalties. Last year I recall in team match play a fellow competitor called himself on the first hole, that was refreshing but then again knowing that player I was not surprised that he did that, most are pretty honest.
    You seem to be jumping back and forth between Stroke Play and Match Play. The obligations are quite different in the two forms of play. If you say "fellow competitor", you are talikng about Stroke Play, and if it was a "team match", then the other player was either a partner or an opponent. These distinctions are important when discussing rules.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    The term 'team match' is often use to refer a match between two teams where the players actually play stroke play and the best gross gets the 2 points or the aggregate scores of each team are used for the result.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    The term 'team match' is often use to refer a match between two teams where the players actually play stroke play and the best gross gets the 2 points or the aggregate scores of each team are used for the result.
    Thanks, you are right if that's what you think he may have meant. Let's just hope that everyone gets the point I was making about the distinction between Stroke Play and Match Play. Your clarrification just makes the point stronger.

Thread Information