CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: orlando golf

Pitching Wedge chucky is on a distinguished road chucky's Avatar

orlando golf

I'm heading to Orlando,kissimmee area next week with my wife .We would like to know if any one has played in that area and has any recommendations or hidden gems.There are just so many choices.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by chucky; 01-26-2012 at 12:00 PM.

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    Orange County National - 2 great courses.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    ditto on OCN + Southern Dunes (Haines City)

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Southern Dunes have a place there golf is always great. You could also add Disney Magnolia or Disney Palms. Do you have a price range that you would like to work from, that might help narrow the list.... A number of us from the forum will be down in that area next week.

Putter Orlando_Golf is on a distinguished road
    Hey guys,

If you are going to be traveling to the Orlando, Florida area you should schedule a tee time at Shingle Creek Golf Club you should try as one of the best Orlando Golf Courses. There are other great courses to golf in the Central Florida area, but all things considered Shingle Creek is my favorite and it is conveniently located near Universal Studios and Disney Theme parks.

Pitching Wedge chucky is on a distinguished road chucky's Avatar
    Thanks everyone. My wife and I have already booked Metro City West,Orange Lake Legends(Super Bowl shotgun tournament for $60.00)and Southern Dunes.We have Courses like Celebration,Falcons Fire and Belle Colina that we were still considering .We had shingle creek on our list earlier but some of the reviews were not so good.Any more info on shingle creek or the others I have listed would be great.
    Thanks again.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    We're heading down later this winter and have the following on our list:

Grande Pines, Sanctuary Ridge, Bella Collina, Southern Dunes, Deer Island (it's a bit of a hike but supposedly very nice), Highland Reserve (nice feel good course for the first day!), with many more "optionals"!! Hard to decide for sure.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    I will be playing Southern Dunes pretty much everyday from Feb 3rd to Feb 15th. I mightt see u there! Flashy puma staff bag on the range will be me!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Quote Originally Posted by sebber View Post
    I will be playing Southern Dunes pretty much everyday from Feb 3rd to Feb 15th. I mightt see u there! Flashy puma staff bag on the range will be me!
    Saw your photo of the bag on the "what's in your bag" thread. That is one of the nicest golf bags I've ever seen.

Garth, I will be on the SD range and course starting tomorrow. I'll either have a white PING cart bag or a bright orange florida gators bag.

Sunny D. We are booked at 10:28 on saturday. We are three under Mile Paquette. Add yourself to our group if u want!

Sunny D. We are booked at 10:28 on saturday. We are three under Mile Paquette. Add yourself to our group if u want!
    Will do... see you then.

Sorry its Mike Paquette. Not Mile. Lol

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Are you talking about the same Southern Dunes that shows rates +$100 / day? Did you find a discount tee time for this course somewhere? I'm literally 5 minutes from this place for the next month so I'd love to know if there are cheaper rates, otherwise I'll probably be playing twilight/super twilight a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    Are you talking about the same Southern Dunes that shows rates +$100 / day? Did you find a discount tee time for this course somewhere? I'm literally 5 minutes from this place for the next month so I'd love to know if there are cheaper rates, otherwise I'll probably be playing twilight/super twilight a lot more.

Yep, it is unfortunately pretty expensive. I buy the frequent player card for 79$ and then you save 40$ + on every round. I put cash away all year to play the course as many times as i can during my holidays. My inlays house is right on the course so it's very convenient and the course is always in pristine condition. Twilights are good, you usually have enough day light to play a whole round!

Well myself and Sunny D have one round under our belts, good times in the florida sun! Managed to keep up with my 2011 cap in my first 2012 round!

Hey guys what were the conditions like?

I'm sure others can comment on the course as a whole, I've only been to the range a few times since I've arrived but I can see the course on the drive in and it looks amazing. Fairways, rough and greens are very green and full. The guy at the proshop was telling me on Saturday the greens were running at 12.5. Although I've played some fast greens, I've never played them on this type of grass, there is a substantial difference between putting into and against the grain.

On a side note, we also took a drive by Palmer's Bay Hill to check it out. There's not a tonne you can see but on the few holes you can, Southern Dunes blows it out of the water condition-wise.

hey Garth,
    The conditions are amazing, I have been coming here for 5 years now and every year it only gets better. The greens are absolutely killer, they roll true and fast. Tee boxes and fairways are in immaculate conditions and the rough is a real penalty putting premium on fairway hits.

Played it everyday since I got here and will likely only play this course while I am here this time around!

Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    I'm sure others can comment on the course as a whole, I've only been to the range a few times since I've arrived but I can see the course on the drive in and it looks amazing. Fairways, rough and greens are very green and full. The guy at the proshop was telling me on Saturday the greens were running at 12.5. Although I've played some fast greens, I've never played them on this type of grass, there is a substantial difference between putting into and against the grain.

On a side note, we also took a drive by Palmer's Bay Hill to check it out. There's not a tonne you can see but on the few holes you can, Southern Dunes blows it out of the water condition-wise.
    Send me a line if you wanna play... I am headed to Disney tomorrow but I plan on playing on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday!

Just played the blue tees today, it's a different beast from the blues, shot a decent 85, 9.9 differential, I like it!

7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    We're heading down later this winter and have the following on our list:

Grande Pines, Sanctuary Ridge, Bella Collina, Southern Dunes, Deer Island (it's a bit of a hike but supposedly very nice), Highland Reserve (nice feel good course for the first day!), with many more "optionals"!! Hard to decide for sure.
    Make sure you get there early. Absolutely stunning clubhouse and practice facilities. One of my favorite courses.

Cool. Booked at teetime of 10:50 with a massage at 4:30! After 3 rounds straight we're going to need it!

Putter Drew2012 is on a distinguished road
    Southern Dunes is great, but pricey. You should check out Ridgewood GCC...now THAT'S a hidden gem!

Played Ridgewood a few weeks ago after it was suggested by one of my neighbours and it truly was a fun course. It sits in the hills (yes, a hill in Florida) and I think they boast that no two fairways run beside each other. Conditions were decent for spring time although some of their greens were a bit patchy, but we all walked away really enjoying the round there.

I'd also recommend a round at Ridgewood.

Thread Information