CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

What did Tim Thomas accomplish ?

He didnt visit the white house

He puts a statement on his facebook.

And what difference will this make in the world?

Seems to me it's only going to distract and possibly hurt the team.

I see nothing positive or constructive in his decision.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    He didnt visit the white house

He puts a statement on his facebook.

And what difference will this make in the world?

Seems to me it's only going to distract and possibly hurt the team.

I see nothing positive or constructive in his decision.
    He got a new thread started in the Ottawagolf.com forum , an acheivement worthy of mentioning
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    I don't see a problem with it - he's not a fan of the white house because he opposes their politics. freedom of choice!

Quote Originally Posted by upanddown View Post
    I don't see a problem with it - he's not a fan of the white house because he opposes their politics. freedom of choice!
    Except that's not what his statement on Facebook said.

here

My interpretation of what he said on FB is: I'm not going to the white house, not because I have a problem with this administration, but because both parties are leading the country down the wrong path.

My opinion is that he's making a political statement at a non-political event and then saying on his FB that it's not politically motivated.

ps: I don't agree or disagree with TT, I just want to know what he was thinking would come of his action?

pps: I agree with Wilster.

ppps: Bruins play @ Washington tonight. I hope he plays!

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    Yeah I just read his FB comment, says its not about politics. Regardless I think he's right - the US is a circus right now and heading down a dangerous path. kudos to him for going against the grain and standing up for what he believes in

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    he put himself ahead of the team and cast a shadow on a team event and took the spotlight off them and put it on himself. He should have sucked it up and not gone. As for it not being a political statement, that's exactly what it was.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by upanddown View Post
    kudos to him for going against the grain and standing up for what he believes in
    It was ballsy of him, but why add this distraction to himself and the team?

If T.T. does have good ideas about how to change the direction of the country, he should have gone to the White House and told the President what he thought face to face . That's being a real.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    he put himself ahead of the team and cast a shadow on a team event and took the spotlight off them and put it on himself. He should have sucked it up and not gone. As for it not being a political statement, that's exactly what it was.
    I agree wholeheartedly. From the outset of team sports, they teach that there is no 'I' in 'TEAM'. He made an 'I' statement at a 'TEAM' event. As they also might say...'Suck it up, Princess!'
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Pat Tillman, now there's a guy with beliefs. A guy who left guaranteed millions of dollars in the nfl to fight a war. Respect.

TT, take note.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Team game, team recognition, acted like a prima donna, ... too many pucks to the head. If you are going to stand up and stand out, tell us what you DO believe in, not what you don't.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    apparently the CIA is scouting the Bruins Washington game tonight

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    If T.T. does have good ideas about how to change the direction of the country, he should have gone to the White House and told the President what he thought face to face . That's being a real.
    His ideas is whatever his idol Glenn Beck says....
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

I need to start another thread;

Who's the bigger prima donna? Ovechkin or Timmy T. ?

I don't think Ovie deserved any games for his hit but come on man! Don't sit out the all star game.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    nokids .. he left his feet and hit the guy in the head? but I do agree that he should be at the all star game

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I agree with Ovie's decision - in fact I'm kinda surprised he would have been allowed to play in the All-Star game in the first place. If you do the crime then you do the time - and if that time includes the All-Star game then so be it. A suspension is supposed to mean you don't get to play until your suspension is served.

I applaud Ovie for standing up and doing the right thing.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    If you're suspended you should lose the right to be at the all star game imo. I like Ovechkin but I'm pretty sure he's not doing this for "the right reason". He's doing this simply to protest his suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I agree with Ovie's decision - in fact I'm kinda surprised he would have been allowed to play in the All-Star game in the first place. If you do the crime then you do the time - and if that time includes the All-Star game then so be it. A suspension is supposed to mean you don't get to play until your suspension is served.

I applaud Ovie for standing up and doing the right thing.
    The thing is, he's not doing the right thing. He's doing the equivalent of "I'm taking my ball and going home". It's an easy out and a classless move and another example of a player just thinking of himself.

The thing is, he's not doing the right thing. He's doing the equivalent of "I'm taking my ball and going home". It's an easy out and a classless move and another example of a player just thinking of himself.
    Not sure where you get that from. You talk as if he never wanted to be there in the first place and doesn't like going, when it seems clear from past appearances that he loves the All-Star game. Unlike some players (Selanne, Lidstrom) who simply refuse to go for personal reasons, his non-attendence is cleary a sacrifice.

“I am suspended, so why I have to go there?” Ovechkin told Washington reporters Tuesday. “I love the game. It’s a great event. I love to be there. I am suspended. I don’t want to be a target. I feel like I’m not deserving to be there right now because I am suspended.”

On the last point, he is absolutely correct. Of course no player is happy to get a suspension and 99% don't agree with what they get. But in most sports leagues he would not be allowed to go, and IMHO (and obviously his) he doesn't deserve it.

If anyone is showing a lack of class, its the NHL. Player discipline is supposed to based on principles that are equally applied to all. Letting "all-stars" play in their special game when they are supposed to be suspended from playing is a double-standard. Shame on them for ignoring their principles for the sake of a few $$!

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Not sure where you get that from. You talk as if he never wanted to be there in the first place and doesn't like going, when it seems clear from past appearances that he loves the All-Star game. Unlike some players (Selanne, Lidstrom) who simply refuse to go for personal reasons, his non-attendence is cleary a sacrifice.

“I am suspended, so why I have to go there?” Ovechkin told Washington reporters Tuesday. “I love the game. It’s a great event. I love to be there. I am suspended. I don’t want to be a target. I feel like I’m not deserving to be there right now because I am suspended.”

On the last point, he is absolutely correct. Of course no player is happy to get a suspension and 99% don't agree with what they get. But in most sports leagues he would not be allowed to go, and IMHO (and obviously his) he doesn't deserve it.

If anyone is showing a lack of class, its the NHL. Player discipline is supposed to based on principles that are equally applied to all. Letting "all-stars" play in their special game when they are supposed to be suspended from playing is a double-standard. Shame on them for ignoring their principles for the sake of a few $$!
    Well of course that is what he is going to say but it's got nothing to do with why he's not there. Read between the lines, its not that difficult to see he's snubbing the NHL, the fans and the league that allows him to earn a pretty substantial living in doing so.

As for Selanne and Lidstrom, really? Two of the classiest guys to ever play the game, both have played in the game numerous times and both need some time off as they are both 40+ and have done their duty so to speak.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Pat Tillman, now there's a guy with beliefs. A guy who left guaranteed millions of dollars in the nfl to fight a war. Respect.

TT, take note.
    Yep... and he got gunned down deliberately by his own troops...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Yep... and he got gunned down deliberately by his own troops...
    Off topic, but... I'd really like to see one credible source for this statement.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Well of course that is what he is going to say but it's got nothing to do with why he's not there. Read between the lines, its not that difficult to see he's snubbing the NHL, the fans and the league that allows him to earn a pretty substantial living in doing so.
    "Reading between the lines" is just another way of calling someone a liar...

...which may be true in this case, but based on what evidence? Whether you believe him or not, its a legitimate reason not to go. Unlike Selanne or Lidstrom, who seemingly have no excuse whatsoever. They are snubbing the fans and the league just as much if not more than Ovechkin.

As for Selanne and Lidstrom, really? Two of the classiest guys to ever play the game, both have played in the game numerous times and both need some time off as they are both 40+ and have done their duty so to speak.
    Gee, I had no idea playing in the All-Star game was such a chore. Everyone else in the league calls it an honour, including our own 39-year-old captain.

I agree with Jeff. Imo, Ovie is not sacrificing himself lol. He's mad at the league for suspending him and this is retribution. I love Ovie but he should go to the ASG.

As for Pat Tillman's death, it doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making so I have no comment.

I agree with Jeff. Imo, Ovie is not sacrificing himself lol. He's mad at the league for suspending him and this is retribution. I love Ovie but he should go to the ASG.
    That's funny because I'm not a big Ovie fan. I just find it interesting that he's making the choice that the NHL should have made for him, citing the reason that the NHL should have used to not let him play.

IMHO he should not even have a decision to make. The "real" motives for his decision are a matter of opinion, but nevertheless he makes a good point. It must be very embarrasing for the NHL to have their hypocrisy showcased like that.

Thread Information