CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road

Golf Around Davenport Florida

Anyone been to Davenport Florida and have some recommendations on "must play" courses, or courses to stay away from in varying price ranges? I'll be down there for the month of February.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    We're heading down to that area in Feb/Mar and have been recommended the following: Sanctuary Ridge, Southern Dunes, Falcon's Fire, Grande Pines, Eagle Creek.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Spent a month there last year, headed back in a few weeks. Highlands Reserve, Southern Dunes, Champions Gate National and Interenational, Falcons Fire. All must plays! If you plan on playing lots, get the frequent player card at Southern Dunes, its 100$ for the year (still worth it for the month), you save about 50$ a round, so pays for itself pretty quickly. I played Souther Dunes 21 times last year while I was there and never got tired of the course. For a cheaper round, check Diamondback and Highlands Reserve, they are always on GolfNow.com for cheap!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

I should add, I will be there from Feb 1st to Feb 15th if ever you want to play a round, or stop by. We are located in a house on the right side of the second fairway!

Right side of the fairway? There's a good chance my brother will be stopping by to see you unintentionally! Thank you for the offer, there will be a week or so I'll be alone with my wife and 8 month old, so I'll be looking for some golfers to get out with.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Don't mean to highjack the thread or anything but I would really welcome getting together. I have a condo on the 4th hole of Southern Dunes, also on the right side but very close to the green. Street number is 2500 St-Augustine. Not too many wayward shots. Though that being said when I was down at Christmas there was a ball on my second story balcony. Now that was a spectacularly badly hit ball.

I will be down Februay 3rd to February 10th. Also for a inexpensive round and a course that I would sort of put on par with the Canadian I would add Ridgewood Lakes to the list. I usually play it once per winter season. Great sort of warm up round. I would only play it during the week though and in the morning. They can get backed up.

Sunny D. Send me a pm and I will give you my contact info. I will gladly play with you! Ridgewood Lakes is pretty good bit i felt there were lots of blind shots, especially when playing from the tips!

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    We usually stay in Solana or Highlands Reserve and I purchase a frequent player card at Highlands, kind of like Pineview in Ottawa, but I'm playing golf so that's good. I also enjoy playing Legends in Clermont, you can get good deals there. Diamondback is a nice strategic course. A must play is Orange County National, my preference there is Panther Lake. Southern Dunes is almost a must, really gives you an opportunity to work on your bunker shots. I've played Providence 5 or 6 times, haven't made up my mind on this one yet, whether it will be in my rotation. Champions Gate and Falcon's Fire are nice courses, but IMO overpriced. The Disney courses are fun, especially if you know a cast member you can get a really good deal.

Have a great time.

Poppadon, if you liked Champions Gate look for it on Golfnow.com, it's often there at 50% and the replay is even cheaper! I would classify Highlands Reserve a little higher than Pineview, ahaha, the greens at HR are very very good, the elevation changes are pretty cool and the fairways are nicely sculpted.

I agree with you, Souther Dunes is a must. PLayed it 21 times last winter and loved every round, if you want to have a good challenge, try it from the tips, it's a beast! Its also very fun from the whites, a few reachable par 4's, a few short but interesting par 3's. Overal probably my favourite course Can't wait, already got a tee time for the 4th of Feb!

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    [QUOTE=poppadon56;429418]We usually stay in Solana or Highlands Reserve and I purchase a frequent player card at Highlands, kind of like Pineview in Ottawa, but

Perhaps you were comparing how Pineview is to Ottawa, and HR is to Orlando in terms of comparing the courses in their own area. Highlands is nothing like Pineview! It is a nice open course with great conditioning, fast greens, overall in great shape. Highlands Reserve's conditions would be better than half the courses in the Ottawa area. (I rate courses mostly on the conditions of the green's and it is too bad we don't have many courses in Ottawa that will cut down and roll their greens.) But most of all at the staff at HR is so nice and welcoming. Played there a couple weeks ago.
    Bite, Bite!

Hey Tigershot

Strange that in the 3 years since we bought our place in southern dunes that I have never played Highland Reserve. Just too many courses around I guess. Will put it on the list for the upcoming trip. In terms of layout or style is there a course that you could compare it to in the Ottawa area?

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    Hey Tigershot

Strange that in the 3 years since we bought our place in southern dunes that I have never played Highland Reserve. Just too many courses around I guess. Will put it on the list for the upcoming trip. In terms of layout or style is there a course that you could compare it to in the Ottawa area?
    I would say similiar if not better than Predator at Greyhawk, but way better undulated greens. Some greens are similiar to Stonebridge. I just love the 10th green. Waste bunker left, and a 3 tiered green that can easily be 3 or 4 putted. It is a quiet a wide open course, with lots of driving room and the rought was not thick at all (But then again, some of the grass was dormant). The staff just loves Canadians as we are perhaps half his business. I payed $63 with taxes in. This included green fees with for myself and son, amd cart. Also, if you google Valupak in the Davenport area, there are coupons you can print out for the range and $10 off greens fees.
    Bite, Bite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    I would say similiar if not better than Predator at Greyhawk, but way better undulated greens. Some greens are similiar to Stonebridge. I just love the 10th green. Waste bunker left, and a 3 tiered green that can easily be 3 or 4 putted. It is a quiet a wide open course, with lots of driving room and the rought was not thick at all (But then again, some of the grass was dormant). The staff just loves Canadians as we are perhaps half his business. I payed $63 with taxes in. This included green fees with for myself and son, amd cart. Also, if you google Valupak in the Davenport area, there are coupons you can print out for the range and $10 off greens fees.
    I echo the same. Last year we rented a house right on Higlands Reserve because my in-laws had guest throughout the month at their Southern Dunes Home and we played HR quite a lot. The staff was awesome and there was always a deal to be had on Golfnow.com for the course! I agree with the Predator comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    Right side of the fairway? There's a good chance my brother will be stopping by to see you unintentionally! Thank you for the offer, there will be a week or so I'll be alone with my wife and 8 month old, so I'll be looking for some golfers to get out with.
    Jterpstr send me a PM and I can pass along my contact information if you would like to play a round or two....

Well - I got out to play Southern Dunes for Twilight last night for the first time (only 2nd total round of the year) and all I can say is WOW. This is the most unbelievable course I've ever played. The fairways, rough and greens are immaculate. The starter said the greens were running between 13-13.5 and boy was he right. The course is challenging but its set up in a way that if you're hitting the ball well you can score.

I'm a 12-13HCP and I was (-1) after 5 holes - 4 pars and a birdie, 2nd longest sub par round I've ever played. I finished my round +11 with 2 holes to play because of darkness - after taking a triple on a Par 5.

The staff is extremely friendly, and are always smiling - probably because they hear a lot of compliments. The beer girl made our day when she told us beer was cheaper by the 6 pack, and it came to $17. The carts have a cooler on the side of them that she topped up with ice, then put the beer in it.

For anyone travelling to the Orlando area, this course is a must play!

Sunny D - My family is in this week, but when they leave next Friday maybe we can hook up for a game or two between then and the end of the month when I'm back to being alone.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    jterpstr; What time did you tee off at? Right on 3:30 or was it later? I'll be there March break and want to play it twilight too. Hopefully there will be enough light.
    Last edited by jsttaylor; 02-15-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Sunny D - My family is in this week, but when they leave next Friday maybe we can hook up for a game or two between then and the end of the month when I'm back to being alone.[/QUOTE]

---- Glad you like the course, it is without a doubt one of my favorites anywhere. I was sick as a dog but still managed to play it twice this time once with Sebber (thanks for the game) and once as a single just before I left and was finally rid of that darn cold/flu that was going around. I am actually back in Ottawa but am going down again in April (over Easter). Sorry we did not get a chance to play, maybe some other time. Wish I was there now......

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Is it really worth the price of admission? What is pace of play like? With twilight starting at 2pm and sunset at 6:30 (when we head down) would there be enough time to finish? Was trying to keep our fees below $80/round if possible, but would love to play the course.

Cheers,

Garth

We teed off at 2:44pm, sun is down about 6:45. We got all but 2 holes in and we were with another 2 some that played pretty slow. The one guy had only played golf one year, and played every shot, good or bad, and made every putt no matter how many times back and forth he went (speed of greens was 13 so you can imagine).

Twilight was $45 including cart, and I'd say this course is even a great deal at the full $109 price tag if you take cart into account. You have to at least play it once. There are other places you can play for $40-50 that could subsidize the increase cost of Southern Dunes.

I got to play the course 8 times while i was there... i miss it already... definitely worth the price of admission... i tried several other courses in the last few years and except for the game I got to play at Doral, it's the best course in Orlando if u ask me. I played it from the whites, blues and blacks last week, every tee box makes it a different course... it's a beast from the blacks for a guys who drives it less than 250 (me)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    Sunny D - My family is in this week, but when they leave next Friday maybe we can hook up for a game or two between then and the end of the month when I'm back to being alone.
    ---- Glad you like the course, it is without a doubt one of my favorites anywhere. I was sick as a dog but still managed to play it twice this time once with Sebber (thanks for the game) and once as a single just before I left and was finally rid of that darn cold/flu that was going around. I am actually back in Ottawa but am going down again in April (over Easter). Sorry we did not get a chance to play, maybe some other time. Wish I was there now......[/QUOTE]

Your welcome buddy! I had a good time!!

Thread Information