100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie mgedit is on a distinguished road mgedit's Avatar

Myrtle Beach Directions

Heading down to Myrtle in March. Been before but never sure of the best route around Washington area. Could someone spell out in detail the recommended routing to avoid the congestion often found there ... between say Harrisburg and Fredricksburg. Any recommendations in Fredricksburg area for motels or maybe B&B? Thanks.

Gap Wedge rando777 is on a distinguished road
    I always take 66 east to 17 thru Warrenton to Fredericksburg. 17 at Fredericksburg can be busy at rush hour. Don't know about b&b's we usually stay at the Days Inn. It's a good 11 hours if you go hard

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Well don't know if this will help much, but here goes. Don't go through Washington! Period!!
    When we have gone south in the past (almost every Spring since 2004) we have taken I-81 south from Gananoque all the way to Winchester VA (+/- 9 hrs) where we stay in a Hampton Inn ($88/nite - dbl occ - one at almost every interstate interchange). We then have gone either #17 SE out of Winchester coming out at Fredericksburg (I-95) or gone a little south, from Winchester VA on I-81 to Route 66 and then SE on it until you intersect with #17 SE and on to Fredericksburg.
    Last year we chose to come back home through Washington DC. We were in two groups and went opposite directions when we got there (Beltway). The guys that went NW ran into heavy delays due to construction, we went NE, around the long way (counter-clockwise) mainly because of the terrible, actually non-existent, road signs. We had 2 GPS, as well as maps, all to no avail.
    My advice, based on last year's experience is that you NOT go through DC unless you have someone with you that has done it and knows it well. That said, there is a vast amount of construction so local knowledge may be of little value with detours and lane reductions.
    Not going this year, so very jealous. Have fun! Next time I go I'm flying!
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Thanks guys ... will have a look at a map and trace out the routes you have suggested. Cheers, Mike

In case anyone else is interested, I believe this is the suggested route. Cheers, Mike

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ot...,2,3,4&t=m&z=8

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Looks very familiar. In fact I think that was our route the first several years. As I recall as a group we chose a different way down to avoid all the smaller communities along #9 when you hit SC, plus all the route # changes. Last few times we went past your suggested turn off and took the #501 all the way in. It is probably the first exit into SC and just past the famous "South of the Border" attraction. There are a few slower spots, through some communities but generally it is good four lane hwy with 50/60 mph limits. Plus the #501 takes you right into the heart of MB SC (Costco for cheap gas and booze). Your route links up with the #501 further SE but for me sticking on the same Route # especially in foreign territory is preferable. Your suggested route will definately give you a taste of the local NC/SC small town feel.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Been there done that--doing it again in 12 days---it's really the only sensible route. We have only found the 17/29 crossover to 95 a little slow during the school bus hours--other than that no problem. ONE NOTE--if you are out driving south of Myrtle--watch out---there are 3 route/road 17s.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    I'm jealous. I haven't been in 2 years, and can't wait to go back!

Have fun !
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Thread Information