CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter slotswing is on a distinguished road

P3Pro Buying Advice

I am close to purchasing the P3Pro but wanted to get some advice from folks within the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge within this forum! $1000.00 is the most I want to spend, which is about how much the P3Pro base unit + grass cover cost (over 2x the cost of optishot). First, is this really worth the extra cost over the optishot, which out of the box for $400.00 + you get a grass top unit?...interested in what others think.

Secondly, is the 2nd generation grass top on the P3Pro very good quality? Is a grass top an essential component for a simulator?

Does anybody have experience with the Putter Shark component with P3Pro. Not sure if this is worth purchasing or not.

Thanks!

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Have you read all the info re the comparison between the Optishot and P3pro? All the info is there to have you make your decision. IMO a grass top is essential for a simulator. The rubber top P3pro has doesn't cut it at all. When you hit off a nice grass top and go back to the rubber top you really appreciate the grass top. Are you in Newmarket Ontario?

Bubba22,

Thanks for the feedback. I have read quite a bit of information within the forum, much from you, that has helped. I am actually in the U.S. What are your thoughts regarding the mat. Is it easy enough to construct this yourself?

Thanks,

Lob Wedge dockrue is on a distinguished road
    I don't think the putting shark is a "component" of the P3. Its a separate unit with different software which from what I can see measures the same thing your P3 would do when putting but just with different graphics. So save your money there.

The P3 will be more enjoyable with a grass top. I'm going to try JagmanJoe's soft shell top for $85. I'm pretty sure they are listed there on ebay. If that doesn't serve my needs than I will break down for the $350 for the grasstop retrofit.

Hope this helps.

baxbennett
    I bought the P3pro from Cory in November. I upgraded to the grass top and took the collection #1 which had 18 GSA courses and the graphics are really good. One of my golf buddies picked up the Optishot earlier this summer and it seems to us (I'm a 16 handicap and he plays to an 18) that the P3 is a better system. I also bought an economy screen along with it and I don't recommend that ( I saw yesterday that he has a special on the HQ material and I think I might soon be ordering that instead). I think with ordering the extra taping supplies, screen and accessories it cost me $1300 CAD with tax and shipping included.

You can really debate which is better (I mean overall, graphics, accuracy, company support etc) between the P3pro and the Optishot. This debate will go on forever.

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    I agree that there can be a lot of debate on which is better and there always seem to be users talking about tips and tweaks for both. One thing that everyone agrees about is that the hard rubber for the P3 is, in my opinion, like hitting off hardpan and it can take a toll on one's hands and wrists. The Optishot base is slightly better but both show considerable improvement with a decent turf top. That is why I came out with mine -- and yes, there are other good alternatives out there.

My personal opinion, again is to start with the less expensive system and put more money into the screen, computer and projector - those three can all be used with an upgraded system down the road.

just my two cents

Couldn't agree more jagmanjoe. I think your mats are a welcomed addition for the DD and P3pro.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Pretty sure I will be purchasing the P3pro. It will be interesting to see how a simulator affects my game. Like most on this forum I have a passion for golf, but my job and family obligations really prevent any opportunity for regular play. I enjoy practicing and can see this as a great opportunity to consistently hit balls with real-time feedback. I've seen on other posts that higher handicapers can gain significant benefit from this type of practice.

Good luck slotswing and let us know how you make out.

Sand Wedge jimmyjames is on a distinguished road
    Slotswing,

How are you getting along with your p3pro? I recently purchased one as well. Haven't had much time to use it, but seems decent. Not as good as the more expensive ones, but I think it will help me improve.

No purchase yet, but leaning toward the P3Pro. I wanted to wait for the upcoming announcements/releases by P3Pro next week in Orlando. Perhaps a new feature? Any ideas of what might be introduced?

Thread Information