100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

Should I get a 56o wedge if I have a SW?

I realize this is probably a subjective area and mileages may vary...... but right now I have room for another club in my bag (I took out my 5W as it was pretty pointless now)

But, just looking for some opinons....

Right now I have a PW (which I can hit bw 100-110 on a good day), a SW (which I can hit around 60-70 from the fairway *when* I make good contact) and a TW, which I assume is a 64 degree club? (Trouble Wedge? I picked it up cheap somewhere)

Assuming the PW is 52 degree-ish (I know lofts aren't consistent), I was debating on getting a normal wedge to use in place of my SW from the fairway, thinking it'll probably be easier to hit without the bounce....... so to get the same as my SW with no bounce is 56 degrees, correct?

Or would a 54 degree be better, allowing me to cover the gap from 70-100, and just pray I can hit my SW better?

Just curious what most folks would do....... the cold weather makes me bored.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The chances of your PW being 52* are slim unless it has been bent to that loft. Most PW these days are in the 468 to 48* range. Similarly, most SW are in the 548-56* range.

No idea what the loft on a TW would be.

I'd start by finding out what the lofts on the current clubs are. Assuming the PW is 48*, then you can go 52/56/60, which is a pretty common setup, or 54/60 if you only want two wedges, etc.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

thanks jv, seeing written out makes more sense that a PW is 48*....... I'll also check out my TW. I wonder if i have an old protractor in the house i could use.

Just curious, for those of you with the 4 wedges, do you also have a SW? I'm jsut wondering what you keep in the bag if you're carrying 4 or 5 wedges.......

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I have 4 wedges. PW (48), Gap (52), Sand (56), Lob (60).

The 56* is a "traditional" sand wedge in that it has high bounce. My 52 and 60 are lower bounce and depending on the type of sand/lie I will use either the 56 or 60 from a greenside bunker.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I have a similar setup to jvincent. I depend on my wedges for good scores and know the exact distance that I hit for each.

If you want to truly know your lofts, take your wedges into any good golf shop. They'll measure them for you without charge and then you'll truly know what gaps need to be filled.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Thanks for the insight. I think a 52 is the way to go...... and my SW will do in a pinch from the fairway if i am feeling brave.

I might check out the loft of the TW i have, and if it's not 60, ditch it for a lob........

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Sounds like you're looking to fill that gap between 70-100 yds? I would also agree that 52 is probably the way to go.

For reference, I use a 48 (120yds), 50 (100yds), 52 (80yds), 56 (60yds). I use my 50 and 56 around the greens (bunkers included). I can hit my 56 to the moon when I open the face right up, so I don't really see a benefit (for myself) to use anything above a 56.

I added the 50 in my bag last year... and let me tell ya, being able to take a full swing and hit a club exactly 100 yards has done wonders for my scoring. Normally, a standard bag will have 4* in between wedges to keep that consistency in yardage gaps, but I found that adding that 4th wedge to give me 2* has been great. So whatever * wedge that'll fill those gaps, is probably the one to get.
    Last edited by leafseh; 01-13-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add info
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Thread Information