100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar

Driving to Florida

I was reading a thread from last year discussing construction on the way to Florida, but I wanted to put out a more specific question. I'll be driving to Florida for the first time (usually fly) and am wondering if anyone has a prefered route or any tips. On the way there we are looking for the fastest, most effecient route. We will not be doing any "sightseeing" on the way down, and will be stopping once to sleep (preferably doing the longer driving day on day 1). On our return trip however, we are looking to spend a few days visiting Washington, so that route is pretty much established.
    Thanks for any tips or suggestions you may have.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I've been driving to Florida for a number of years now and I go straight down I-81 to I-77 that goes through Charlotte, NC and then I-26 over to I-95 then straight south. I do this route as I hate the stress and traffic that is on I-95 when you get on it much further north. We normally stop just north of the the I-77 turn and that makes a nice easy second day. The traffic on I-81 is so much less so it's easier on me taking that way. I'm sure many people will say to get on I-95 around Fredericksburg but on one of my trips it took over an hour to get that last few miles to 95 and swore I wouldn't do that route again. Another one I heard that isn't bad is to take I-64 to Richmond but again for me it's too far north on I-95 for my liking.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    Agree with gbower's route.
    On the way down we stay at the Marriott Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, I77 Exit 19,2320 Le Grand, Columbia, SC, 5 Stars, about a 17 hr drive from Orleans, ~1,018 miles day 1. Leaves me about 7.5 hrs, 475 mi. on day 2 to Orlando.
    Total time elapsed: 32 hours, Total driving time: 22 hours, Total distance: 1,493 miles, (2,402.75 kilometres), average speed 67.8 mi/hr

I understand you're not coming back this route, but if your plans change here's some info. On our way back using the same route we stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites, I81 Exit 283, 1150 Motel Drive, Woodstock, Virginia. Really nice place. 14.5 hrs from Orlando, 10 hrs second day to Orleans.

We always try to eat at Cracker Barrel's, good food, fast service, clean restrooms.

Have a great trip.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    I drove it last year, left Ottawa at 4am on the friday, stopped around 10pm and then the next day I only had half a day to drive. Got hit pretty pretty hard by a snow storm in New York State however it was still pretty early and there were no cars in the way. Slapped the sub in 4x4 and off we went. It got easier from there, did not hit any construction. We blew a few fuses in the truck by using the baby bottle warmer but apart from that it was a pleasant drive. I cannot recall the exact route because we were following my father in law, however it was pretty painless. We stopped somewhere in Maryland to spray the salt off our trucks!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppadon56 View Post
    Agree with gbower's route.

We always try to eat at Cracker Barrel's, good food, fast service, clean restrooms.

Have a great trip.
    My least favourite restaurant, lol, who sells great food but no beer to go with it! come on!! lol
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hi guys---81s to 66w and then 15/29s to 95 !st day to Fredricksburg. 2nd day to Savannah/Hilton Head-------that's 2100 km and as far as we go. We have friends that go as far as Bradenton/Sarasoto--that's one moe day. One year we did 81 all the way home---nice drive but we used another tank of gas. It does not matter what anyone says-drive as fast as you want etc etc but at the end of the day if your going 2100 kms--it will take you 21 hours. You can't seem to go any faster---this includes your gas stops and lunch etc. We have been doing it for 7 years and it always works out the same.
    First stop is the Cracker Barrel in Syracuse--around 8:00am--too early for a beer.Oh Yeah--watch your speed in Virginia. Your only tie-up might be on 15/29--divided hwy but schools and lights--avoid 8:00am and 3:00pm
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information