CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road

IPAD app to measure feet on putting green

anyone know of an ipad app that you can stand on one location (ie ball) and click for starting direction then walk the line of your putt to target then click (ie ending direction) to determine the number of "feet" the putt is. no elevation since elevation is not legal in tourmanets.

i can use my laser but that would slow play and the ipad click click would be fast and discrete.

not sure if the latest gps devices can do this. i had two before and they required me to estimate where the pin was to tell me distance rather than clicking and walking it off then getting the exact number in feet.

i downloaded two apps that looked llike they would do this but they were meant for much further distances like hiking and did not give small distances in feet.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The accuracy on a GPS is not good enough to do what you want.

What's wrong with just counting your steps?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    i can use my laser but that would slow play and the ipad click click would be fast and discrete.
    Fast and discrete – not really... if it is important for you, use your steps... practice eyeballing in the basement during the winter (if needed)...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    Years ago when I first learned and went by distance i used to walk it off. My step is 3 feet. I am coaching a pre-junior though. She walks off the putts now to get a feel for distance but given her age her steps are not consistent. In the basement greens we have marks identified for every 5 feet. She is now getting what a 10, 15, etc put should do or any other combination of 5 feet. outside with her steps being inconsistent it just adds another variable. During tournaments since I can caddie for her I can walk it off quickly but working to transition this process from me helping to her doing by herself. If there is no app then I can just work with her to make a consistent 1ft to 2ft step for now.

appreciate it.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I count putting distances in steps by 3's. 3 steps, 6 steps, & 9 steps are my 3 basic putts. 5 steps is a soft 6 , 4 steps is a firm 3. Easy to work with. Much simpler than converting to feet or yards - or worrying about the subtle differnce between a 5 step and a 4 step pacing.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Personally I would not teach a "pre-junior" (whatever age that is) to worry about pacing off putts. Look at the hole and take a couple practice swings and pull the trigger. Way better to let the sub-conscious take care of the math.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Personally I would not teach anybody to worry about pacing off putts. Look at the hole and take a couple practice swings and pull the trigger. Way better to let the sub-conscious take care of the math.
    Fix it for you...
    It is all about feel... for kids maybe toe-to-toe to try to control the stroke...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Thread Information