CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road

New courses in Cuba/Varadero?

Google seems to be coming up empty, but a friend has told me that there are a couple of new courses that have opened up in the resort area of Varadero. Anyone heard the same? Any better info on them? I am going next week and wouldn't mind a bit of choice where I play.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    When I was there last year in april there was talk of some development of golf courses closer to the airport.... things usually take a bit longer to happen in cuba. I sent a friend of mine an email that was just in Cuba and asked him and he travells to cuba 3-4 times a winter. His response " yeah right" so it looks like you got one choice for a round of golf http://www.varaderogolfclub.com/en/home.asp it is a nice place to play though.

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    That's too bad. My source seemed so confident, but it was still second hand for him. I booked 1 spot through their website. Gonna see if I can get a better deal once I'm on the ground before I book more.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    So far, only one course beside Melia Las Americas.

Putter lemonade is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1800Duffers View Post
    So far, only one course beside Melia Las Americas.
    The course in Varadero is almost outstanding. Since it's Cuba, it has a lot of flaws - for example top dressing with sand from the beach hich of course kills the grass... It was designed by Canuck Les Furber and has two holes that could be rated among the best in the world. 8th is about a 190 yd along the cliffs to an elevated green into the teeth of the wind with a severe drop off all around - leave it short and you're fifty yard back and below the hole. #18 is 440 yd P4 again along the cliffs, elevated tee and green, and again the drastic drop off. There's at least six other outstanding holes. Is included in all inclusive - required carts are $17 pp. Golf balls at pro shop ridiculous price - bring some of your own then buy from maintenance workers on the course for about 50c each.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Agreed on those two holes and the rest of your notes. I believe it was on 18 we stopped a drove some of those $0.50 balls into the ocean. Magnificent views!
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Putter lemonade is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Agreed on those two holes and the rest of your notes. I believe it was on 18 we stopped a drove some of those $0.50 balls into the ocean. Magnificent views!
    Last year - first time out I sat it on the front of #8 and.... 4 putted - there was about a 3 foot square piece of grass aroudn the hole and the rest were patches, etc. I took the winter rules 3 putt max. On 18 - I drilled a drive down in front of the pot bunker, hit a 9IRON!!! 4 feet above the hole and missed the putt. Never had a sniff of a par on these two for the rest of the week...

I remember#4 being a very nice par5, #6 being an outstanding 190 yd downhill into the wind Par 3, #12 an outstanding 2 Fairway P4, #13 a driveable P4 (but totally blind with a lot of risk) #15 and #16 that both cross water twice and #17 a long P3 uphill surrounded by sand.

If this were the only course I ever had to play - and they fixed the greens - I would be very happy.

Thread Information