CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road

Driver shaft flex help

I am having trouble finding the right shaft for my driver. I know in general the higher swing speed the stiffer the shaft. Curiuos if someone can point me in the right direction.

My driver swing speed average is between 103-109. My problem is almost everyone that sees my club head speed says I should be between stiff and most say extra stiff.

My path is 3-9 in to out but on drivers its at the top end. Longer the club more severe my path. My miss is in to out severely and the face stays slight open to path causing a block fade way right. Not a slice but starts right and fades right.

I just got fitted again for the ping g20 which is a great club but the guy swares i should be extra stiff. the shots tend to start right and leak right. its hard for me to close the face with long clubs. he says its more a path problem but that will take a lot of work.

i tried closed face drivers which help but they feel wierd on the backswing and look off to my eye.

my thought was regardless of swing speed a softer flex should help me close the face. or perhaps find one that has higher torque on the tip to help close the face. he didn't think so. very confused.

when i drop down in flex the ball does go left but it misses both left and right where now it almost always misses on the right side.

curioius if someone else came across a fitting where it doesn't fit the norm based on club head speed and softer flexes can help this?

i also tried small grips to help the release. i also put lead tape at the bottom of the club on the heal which helped some but by the looks of it I need a lot.

i think also when i swing all out i may be tightening my left hand grip without knowing it and maybe that also holds the relase off a little.

appreciate the feedback.

thanks.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    Go see Greg at GolfWorks...he'll sort you out.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    As the shaft graveyard in my basement can attest to, the flex designation means pretty much nothing and fitting just on speed is not the only factor to consider.

How you swing the club, short and quick (aka a hitter) or long and smooth (aka a swinger) will have a big influence on the type/flex of shaft that works best for you.

As important as overall flex IMHO is the flex profile, i.e. how the flex changes along the length of the shaft. The manufacturers describe this as tip stiff or tip soft, etc. This will not only affect the actual performance of the shaft, but also how it feels to you. Other factors such as weight distribution in the shaft are also important.

Ultimately, the only way to find what works best for you is to try different options. Unfortunately this can become rather expensive if you want to try premium shafts.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information