CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road

OVGA 2012 tournaments

Just thought I'd let anyone that is interested know that the OVGA has revamped their website and although there may be a few glitches yet but it is up and running and the new 2012 tournament schedule is listed.

http://www.ovga.org/

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Can"t wait for 2012!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Nice to see the addition of a Senior Match Play tournament running concurrently with the usual "junior" one. That should spark some interest and increase participation from those of us with receeding hairlines and who don't hit the ball quite as far as nokids.

As well, the "A"players will get their first tournament look at our Legacy course at Greensmere, when the City and District rolls around in August. Hope that home course is advantageous.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    BC Mist, who you calling "juniors"...lol!

You usually beat the other Class A players anyway, so stop using the distance excuse. You probably are very sneaky and longer than I am.

Cheers,

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    In his dreams he hits them longer than you Marc but the way he's working on bulking up you'd better watch out next year. The steroids may be in his future too in order to get the extra 100 yds that he'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    In his dreams he hits them longer than you Marc but the way he's working on bulking up you'd better watch out next year. The steroids may be in his future too in order to get the extra 100 yds that he'll need.
    Are there steroids in hemorrhoid medication? Could be the secret to 50 more yards.

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    Nice to see them finally revamp the website, long overdue.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    looking forward to registering for the B class events.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    looking forward to registering for the B class events.
    Im hoping to enter a few as well! Time to start booking days off !!
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Can a person enter if they are not a member of a club? I was thinking of not renewing my membership next year and registering with GAO only. Would I qualify to enter these tournaments?
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

JST, in order to have access for the tournaments, and not be a member of a club, you would have to become a member of the OVGA Public Player Program, just as you are with the GAO. THe OVGA is historically and currently affliated with Golf Quebec. Check the website for details.

Thanks

There was a Spring Open Qualifier at Casselview scheduled for May 22, but it has disappeared from the schedule on the OVGA site. However, it's still on the schedule for Quebec Golf here:

http://www.golfquebec.org/userfiles/...2012_23fev.pdf

Does anyone know if it's still on or not?

The provincial site is being updated with the registration for 2012 about to be released for all provincial events. The Spring Open is a Golf Quebec event (co-sanctioned and run by the OVGA staff for ease of admin), thus you should enter via the provincial page, once it is active. It is still on, along with the other qualifiers at other sites and regions. Keep an eye open over the next week for a complete update on the mens tournament site on both Provincial and Regional.

Cool thanks.

So the qualifiers are for specific tournaments or just an opportunity for players to establish their two round differentials?

Like, I know the Tunis qualifier is a qualifier for the Tunis. But the Spring Open is a chance for me to establish a low differential?

And the Match Play on May 28, the stroke play part is for the differential and the match play part is only good for determining who wins, not towards anything else points wise?

You are on the right track. The Golf Quebec sanctioned events are dual purpose. The Spring Open Qualifiers are to determine the field for the Quebec Spring Open at Beaconsfield each year (This event is open to amateurs and pros). The Tunis qualifier is pretty self explanatory as the top 3 get into the Tunis field, and the stroke play (aka medal play) portion of the OVGA match play determines the field for the 16 player OVGA match play event. The differentials work as follows. All Golf Quebec events (including select OVGA events i.e. Medal play portion of the Match play, Tunis Qualifier, First 2 rounds of City and Districts, and Class A Field Days) played from June 1 of last year (2011) to May 31 of this year (2012), count towards your differential. Yes you do need at least 2 to establish your ranking on the ladder. The overlap happens so people have a chance to play their way into the ladder and establish a differential or lower their current differential each spring at the Spring Open Qualies, Spring Open, and Regional events (each region has at least one event in May). To see the list of the differentials and how many players are on it, click here (or go to the Golf Quebec website and click on rankings and 2012 ladder)

http://golfquebec.org/english/index.asp?id=100

A quick note about the Tunis Qualifier, there was a circumstance 2 years ago where the field was not filled by the entries off of the ranking ladder and the top 3 from the Tunis Qualifier. It ended up that if you had applied to the Tunis, didn't get directly in, then played in the local qualifier, the committee granted entry to a lot of players who just played and posted a score in the qualifier. But, they had to have entered the Tunis first and been denied entry the first time around. So it sometimes it pays to enter the event, because you never know what can happen.

There are 983 players ranked with differentials and another 305 that only have one round over the time period. Last year, #150 and above were basically guaranteed spots in the majors. To be ranked at #150 today your differential would have to be 3.9 from your best 2 rounds. Remember this is cumlative from your best 2 rounds, not an average so for example 3.9 would be comprised of one round of 2.0 over the tournament course rating plus another round of 1.9 over the tournament rating.

Of course the three major tournaments, Alexander of Tunis, Duke of Kent, and the Quebec Amateur Championships are Nationally recognized tournaments, are part of the Golf Canada Order of Merit and are the determining series to grant direct entry to the Canadian Amateur. Quebec has 15 direct entry quota spots, which are granted from a points list from those three events. The top 2 plus the Quebec Am champion make up the provincial team. Also, players can apply to play in international events, and get the recommendation from Golf Quebec if your results are satisfactory for their recommendation. So, starting at the Tunis you are entering some high level amateur golf, where a lot of the winners have gone on to turn pro, some successful, some not. (players like Julien Trudeau, Brad Fritsch and many others have made it all the way to PGA events, Nationwide tour exempt status and players like Yohann Benson who qualified for and played in the 2008 US Open that Tiger won at Torrey Pines with a broken leg...)

So for our region, its kinda like the PGA tour, with a season long points race (overall Quebec Order of Merit), and team races (provincial teams and entry to national championships), and races for spots in next level events (differentials). Tough to keep track sometimes, but if you know where to look, its all there and not that complicated. It's good to challenge yourself. After a terrible season I managed to play my way out of being in all of the majors where I had been for a few seasons, (Tunis, Kent, Quebec Am) from top 150 down to mid 300's, but on plan for it being a small step backwards for 5 steps forwards. Need to have a good spring, and will be right back to where I should be.

Sorry for the long post, just thought you would like to have this info.

Cheers.
    Last edited by marcf; 02-28-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: learning my grammer, and clarifications

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Great post marcf, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    You are on the right track. The Golf Quebec sanctioned events are dual purpose. The Spring Open Qualifiers are to determine the field for the Quebec Spring Open at Beaconsfield each year. The Tunis qulaifier is pretty self explanatory, and the stroke play portion of the OVGA match play determines the field for the match play event. The differentials work as follows. All Golf Quebec events (including select OVGA events i.e. Medal play portion of the Match play, Tunis Qualifier, First 2 rounds of City and Districts, and Class A Field Days) played from June 1 of last year (2011) to May 31 of this year (2012), count towards your differential. Yes you need at least 2 to establish you ranking on the ladder. The overlap happens so people have a chance to play their way into the ladder and establish a current differential each spring at the Spring Open Qualies, Spring Open (this event is open to amateurs and pros), and Regional events (each region has at least one event in May). To see the list of the differentials and how many players are on it, click here (or go to the Golf Quebec website and click on rankings and 2012 ladder)

http://golfquebec.org/english/index.asp?id=100

A quick note about the Tunis Qualifier, there was a circumstance 2 years ago where the field was not filled by the entries off of the ranking ladder and the top 3 from the Tunis Qualifier. It ended up that if you had applied to the Tunis, didn't get directly in, then played in the local qualifier, the committee granted entry to a lot of players who just played and posted a score in the qualifier. But, they had to have entered the Tunis first and been denied entry the first time around. So it sometimes it pays to enter the event, because you never know what can happen.

There are 983 players ranked with differentials and another 305 that only have one round over the time period. Last year, #150 and above were basically guaranteed spots in the majors. To be ranked at #150 today your differential would have to be 3.9 from your best 2 rounds. Remember this is cumlative not an average so for example one round of 2.0 over the tournament course rating plus another round of 1.9 over the tournament rating.

Of course the three major tournaments, Alexander of Tunis, Duke of Kent, and the Quebec Amateur Championships are Nationally recognized tournaments, are part of the Golf Canada Order of Merit and are the determining series to grant direct entry to the Canadian Amateur. Quebec has 15 direct entry quota spots, which are granted from a points list from those three events. The top 2 plus the Quebec Am champion make up the provincial team. Also, players can apply to play in international events, and get the recommendation from Golf Quebec if your results are satisfactory for their recommendation. So, starting at the Tunis you are entering some high level amateur golf, where a lot of the winners have gone on to turn pro, some successful, some not. (players like Julien Troudeau, Brad Fritsch)

So its kinda like the PGA tour, with a season long points race (overall Order of Merit), and team races (provincial teams and entry to national championships), and races for spots in next level events (differentials). Tough to keep track sometimes, but if you know where to look, its all there and not that complicated. It's good to challenge yourself. After a terrible season I managed to play my way out of being in all of the majors where I had been for a few seasons, (Tunis, Kent, Quebec Am) from top 150 down to mid 300's, but on plan for it being a small step backwards for 5 steps forwards. Need to have a good spring, and will be right back to where I should be.

Sorry for the long post, just thought you would like to have this info.

Cheers.
    I LOVED this info. Thanks Marc.

Now I don't have to answer Denis' emails about tournament golf.

noticed the first B field tourney is at Pakenham...A course I'm not fond of.

noticed the first B field tourney is at Pakenham...A course I'm not fond of.
    I'll set it up easy for you, then.

That would be nice . I never seem to play well there.

The way I see it, the best way to establish two low differentials is to play in as many spring open qualifiers as possible. Anybody know if there's a limit to the number to spring qualifiers I can play in? I am definitely entering the Casselview spring qualifier on May 22, I'm also considering May 14 @ Falcon and May 17 @ Ile Perrot.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Scott I was a member at Pakenham for years....I can show you how to get around Packy......

That would be nice . I never seem to play well there.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    You're going to need to play all the events you possibly can to stand a chance

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    The way I see it, the best way to establish two low differentials is to play in as many spring open qualifiers as possible. Anybody know if there's a limit to the number to spring qualifiers I can play in? I am definitely entering the Casselview spring qualifier on May 22, I'm also considering May 14 @ Falcon and May 17 @ Ile Perrot.

You can play in as many Spring Open qualifiers as you want, just pay your fee. You can also play the OVGA medal play portion of the Match play Championship (where the top 16 move to match play) also counts towards this year's differential. Remember your differential is used to determine fields for the Quebec provincial level events, Tunis,Kent, Amateur, Players Championship, Mid Am and so on. For the Spring Open, you have to play your way in and if you play well (top 30) you dont have to qualify next year for the event.

Once again, thank you to our resident expert Marcf. We should get you a bottle of wine or something.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Spring Open Qualifiers are like a start of the year fundraiser for GQ. They love to get hundreds of 8-10 handicaps paying their $100 knowing they don't have a chance in qualifying. That being said, I'll probably go to one of them to get a tournament in before I leave to BC for our National University Championship.

I registered for 3 of them. I'd register in more but 180km's is the farthest I want to drive.

How come I don't see Falcon or Ile Perrot on the schedule?

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Because they are run by GQ not by the OVGA. You will have to look at the Provincial calendar I believe.

Thread Information