CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road

Wide face irons?

Curiuos if anyone else has been looking for wider face irons?

When i use my impact tape my misses tend to be outside the sweet spot toward the toe. yes, working on adjustments but it must be so ingrained. my path is 3-8 degrees in to out (short clubs on the lower side / long clubs on the higher side). not sure if that has something to do with it. even though i am in to out i must be racking across the ball and pulling in somehow?

i tried standing closer to the ball which i can hit more pure shots but occasionaly will *hank it.

curious if there are clubs that are wider than standard producing a wider sweet spot horizontally. don't need it higher vertically just wider.

appreciate the thoughts.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    I think the more forgiving clubs all get wider horizontally. Watched something on Golf Channel a while back that described the big differences between the modern forgiving clubs and the pro irons / muscle backs. Of course, the cavities. But the big thing that let's you draw / fade on command is the shorter width horizontally. Also makes them less forgiving for the same reason. So I assume the game improvement irons will be more forgiving - and that is why they get harder to move the ball on command

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Pretty much any oversize head will have better off-center forgiveness than a narrower one.

If you are looking for specific model recommendations, I'd go with the Wishon 560MC or maybe the 979SS. Full set of irons are below.

http://wishongolf.com/designs/iron-sets/
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    There is only one persussion centre, or sweet spot in any club, however, the amount of error passed on to the varies with design/size of the head.

Regarding the Wishon line referred to above and perhaps of interest to the original poster, Wishon has a Rank of Off Centre forgiveness for all of his irons, based on robotic testing of 5 irons, a 75 mph swing speed and an impact of 1" towards the toe.

555M (blades) -14 yards
    555C (smaller cavity back- forged) -11 yards
    979's -8 yards
    560MC (larger sized forged cavity back) -6.5 yards
    870Ti (largest head) -5 yards

Also, the 870's were a full 13 yards longer than the blades, hitting the ball on centre, and 10 yards longer than the 560's. Testing was done with a 5 iron at 75 mph.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    thanks for the recos. i know in general the oversize will be bigger and more forgiving. i like how wishon demonstrates that with their robot.

i know that all oversize are not the same so curious if anyone else out there was retentive as i am and already measured a few. i just tested the titliest ap1 and i like how its not a deep face with ultra thick line but its got a wide face to it figuring that should make it a little more forgiving on my misses toward the toe.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    That's what's really nice about the 560MC. Unlike most larger iron heads it has very little offset and it looks like an oversized muscle back at address.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Over the last couple of weeks of the season, I resurrected and played with 560, 870, 550C sets that I have, in addition to the 555's that I played with all season, and found that look, feel distance and accuracy of the 560's, outperformed the others, and I am now using them for indoor practice at the Superdome. While the overall look is still traditional, the larger head provides a "can't miss" kind of confidence.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Have you tried clubs of different lengths with impact tape? Ex: multiple 5 iron at 36-36.5-37-37.5-38

If you can find the centre of the club flace with a specific length with one of them then you got part or all of your answer.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information