CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Selecting the right putter???

Just wondering if any of you ever consider the following when selecting a putter?

http://blogs.golf.com/top100/2008/12...e-top-100.html
    Ask the Top 100: What kind of putter should I use?

Posted at 6:09 PM by T.J. Tomasi, Ph.D. | Categories: Putting
    Dear T.J.,
    Over the past four or five years I have used both a mallet putter and t-line putter and recently decided to stay with a t-line putter, Scotty Cameron Circa-62. Is there one swing sequence preferred over the other with a particular type putter? I have always used the straight-back, straight-through putting method not the gate-door method.

Bruce L.
    Annapolis, Md.
    Hi Bruce,
    To putt your best you need to match up three variables correctly: 1.) Your putter type; 2.) Your stroke type; and 3.) Your posture.
    Your Putter Type
    There are three basic types of putters: "Toe-Balanced," "Face-Balanced" and "45 Degree Hangers." You can tell the difference by the way the putter face hangs when you balance it by its shaft across your finger. If the putter face is perpendicular to the ground with the toe hanging straight down, the putter is Toe-Balanced. If it balances with the putter face running parallel to the ground, it’s Face-Balanced. And if it balances so that the putter-face is hanging somewhere in-between perpendicular and parallel, it’s a 45 Degree Hanger (some hang at exactly 45 degrees but your putter face hangs anywhere in between Toe-Balanced and Face-Balanced it is still defined as a “45 Degree Hanger”).

The putter on the left exhibits toe-down balance; the putter in the middle has 45-degree balance; and the putter on the right is face-balanced.
    Which One's For You
    Your putting stroke dictates which type of balancing is right for you. If your putting stroke swings on a constant arc (inside, to square, to inside again--like a door as it opens and closes), then a Toe-Balanced putter is for you because it allows for a slight opening of the clubface on the takeaway and helps square the face at impact.
    If your putting stroke is straight back and straight through (pendulum style -- as yours is) then Face-Balanced putters are best. They help to maintain stability by resisting any opening or closing of the clubface through impact.
    If your stroke is neither straight or uniformly arced than you need a 45 Degree Hanger. The rule of thumb: The more your putting stroke tends to open and close the clubface, the more degrees (measured from horizontal) the putter-face should hang.
    Match Your Posture and Your Putting Stroke
    The conventional wisdom is anything goes in putting but there is one fundamental that should not be ignored: How you stand to the ball conditions how you stroke it.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Thanks Andre. I knew about putter type and stroke type but never factor in the posture. Good to know.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I actually did this the other way round. I selected a putter I really liked based on feel and looks (a Yes Sophia). Its a traditional toe-down blade putter and i just loved its looks. Once I'd settled on it I then worked on my stroke to fit my putter...not the other way round.

Thread Information