CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    CPA you don't know??? Here you go: 1 yard =0.9144 meters

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    HA yards went out in about 1972 down here!

I know. We should follow over hear in North America!!!

70jr, how did your on course testing of your GC2 unit go? Hopefully it went well, keep us posted!!

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    and went out on a real course yesterday and played in 25 degrees- 77 F that is!

In Canada we actually use Celcius so I am with you! Nice for you CPA. Were in winter now so only indoor golf, hockey and skiing!!

70jr, how did the course testing with the unit go?

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    forgot to also mention when checking gc2 carries is to make sure the front hinge is completely turned over under and used as the front legs. Supposedly if they are unlocked but not folded under completely to be used as mini legs the unit will be slightly tilted downward and the carries / measurements can be off.

70jr

Well, I went down to foresight on Friday and theytook it out of my metal case that I bought from them and the unit was spittingout way different numbers than what it was at home. They had to bend the metalso that the unit was sitting flush in the housing. The unit was saying 146carry for pw he said when I teed up the ball the camera could see it better andthat is why it was reading right with driver. I told him that I took the unitout of the housing and hit it and the numbers were not what it is saying. Ithink the mat that I am using is killing the number. I still need to take itoutside to see what it says on grass. He also let me know that there unit isset at sea level and I am 900 feet above sea level so that is going to take acouple of yards off what I see outside. I went to the course Friday but I wasrunning late and did not hit on the range to see what the unit said off grass. Iwill take it to the course this weekend and report back. So I am now in themarket for a new mat.

glad to hear its resolved. my gut was saying the protecgtive enclousre and/or mat but needed to check. i recently just bought the trustrike mk7 academy and it works fine with the gc2. i am sure there are other choices also but this one i am using now and satisfied. good luck.

Glad its resolved. Let us know how it works on the course.

Pitching Wedge JJSmith is on a distinguished road

Red face

70jr do you really believe that sea level story on a device that takes a couple of snaphots from a ball over a 5" distance? Glad its fixed!
    Last edited by JJSmith; 02-13-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Big smile added

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Higher above sea level will all else even result in longer distances so you should not buy that story.
    I often play at 2,500 feet and that is under the same condition 2-4 % longer than sea level.
    Not sure if it is linear but if it is it should be about 1% more @ 900 feet.

Lob Wedge i505 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    Higher above sea level will all else even result in longer distances so you should not buy that story.
    Why not? They are saying the device is calibrated for sea level; i.e. you hit a ball and it tells you how far it will go at sea level. If you then go play ABOVE sea level, your carry distances on the course will be longer than the device says. That was part of the problem, along with reduced ballspeed from the mat he was using. Makes sense to me.

It makes sense. I think it is more related to the ball speed, perhaps the mat, perhaps the case and angle of the unit. Probably a variety of reasons. We'll see how it is withe the testing this weekend. By the way 70, did you hit it teed up on tour mat vs not teed up?

After a bit more thought, this is something that really needs to be adjustable on the unit. I live at 5500ft and often play at 7200. With no adjustment the numbers would be way off here. I will finally be getting into my sim build sometime this year and had been eyeing the GC2, but that is a deal breaker for me.

Why i505? Its still accurate and I am sure you can do the boost if your off a bit!!!

70jr
    I hear you, it is still off a tad but i will go to the range and confirm, but it is much closer than what it was. i can play with a 1% boost i cannot play with 18% boost.

70 what were your ball speeds after you tested at Foresight? Have you tried hitting it teed up on the mat with the irons?

70jr
    at home the ball speed was in the high 90's with the same unit at foresightout of the case was 113-115 on their mat. I want to see what my ball speed ison grass. I did hit the ball on a tee but I teed it like I do on the coursewhich is not on the grass but 1/8 over the top of the grass. And the distancedid come up but only a couple of yards.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Why i505? Its still accurate and I am sure you can do the boost if your off a bit!!!
    One of the things that made me give this a serious look over say, a GGS camera system, was the fact that I could toss it in my bag and plop it down on the range. Or fire it up without the projector/computer/sim and hit a few balls in the sim room. If the "spoken" numbers are almost 10% off, and the only time I can get accurate numbers (for my elevation) is by using the boost in the sim software, why pay extra for the GC2?

So it was better teed?Thats a big difference in speed!! Try it at home out of the case?

70jr
    yes it was better teed but only a couple of yards. i will do it tonight.

Let us know.

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    70jr,

As most know I was having very short carry distances and was questioning the accuracy of the GC2. As previously mentioned the calibration software and a different mat have helped immensely.

I also have noticed that the more I focus on making contact with the ball before the mat (i.e. - eliminating catching it a bit heavy) - that the accuracy is very, very good. My theory is the mats scrub off much more speed when you catch it a bit heavy as compared to the grass. I finished the 2011 season with a 7 handicap - so my ball striking is decent, but my tendency is definitely to catch it a bit heavy.

I am glad it appears as if you are making some progress. I understand how frustrating it can be when the yardages are off.

Pitching Wedge Santiago is on a distinguished road
    My cg2 is spot on as well. I play in a private club that is empty most of the time, so i could compared distances with my bushnell range finder and the accuracy is as good as it gets.

70jr
    I just got done hitting balls upstairs and they are the same numbers that I posted before. Tomorrow I will go to the course that is next to my house and hit some balls off the grass and see what it says. I even hit off a different mat and still the same numbers. I will tell you what tomorrow is like.

so jealous you can test outdoors right now - we have snow.

foresight gc2 probably does the same thing as trackman 3 does for estimating carries (probably same as most sim algorithms) by assuming sea level or some average elevation along with some average temperature.

if you play in warmer weather at a higher elevation in general your carries will be longer and vice versa compared to the launch monitor or in person. prior to trackman 3 you can enter your location so it adjusts carriers to your elevation and temperature but club fitters were setting them high so users would think that new club they are testing is longer - they removed that capaiblity in tm3 for quality control since duped users were starting to blame trackman for allowing fitters the option to do this.

seems common to hear retailers / fitters adjusting altitude, temp, course hardness, and wind (each slightly) so the common joe thinks he hits the new $300 driver a mile. not saying they all do but some do. that's why you always bring your club and a few irons to test the unit first to make sure it calculates your carries correct before trying a new club.

for those interested below are some articles on altitude and temperature on carries. probablygolf has some detailed analysis for estimating your current carries in these conditions for < $20.

http://probablegolfinstruction.com/g...-distances.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...s-at-altitude/

http://sirshanksalot.com/golf-tips-g...-ball-distance

http://golfballselector.com/golf/gen...iewFaqs.action

since the algorithms need to take into consideration the altitude and temperature it seems like a rather simple thing to have the user enter these varaibles in so the projections are closer to the local environment.

GC2 users - FYI

Spoke with Foresight Sports and they deliberately took down the "download" link from the website. They said they will send out an email soon (not sure when) to all owners with a link and password. They said they don't have any newer firmware versions available.

If the altitude or elevation was the full answer then one should assume that the driver and wood distance/carry etc should be less than what you normally hit as well. I think the mat or the casing/leveling of the unit may be the problem. It will be interesting to see how it behaves on the course.

Thread Information