CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Par Kball is on a distinguished road

GC2 Launch monitor Foresightsports

Ok - some additional information. TheGolfer and I have been communicating as I have been struggling with carry distances and suspect that my unit is having an issue. My GC2 was originally about 1.5" below the surface of my mat and so I have moved it to level and about 2 inches above and would say that my results are inclusive to yes it does increase the carry yardage (will need to do more testing). The approach does not make sense to me because if the GC2 is level with the mat and I put the ball on a tee for a driver then I have the same issue as if the GC2 is below the mat and the ball is on the ground.

Regarding my Trackman experience. I was at a location that is recognized as one of the top fitters in the country and does fittings for top ranked amateurs and some pros. Having said that I really have no way to determine whether the unit was configured properly other than trusting in their expertise. All shots were hit with both units on and capturing data at the same time. My carry yardages were less with the Trackman than what I experience on the course, but it was 25 degrees outside and the trackman is actually tracking the flight of the ball (range balls) as it finally estimates a carry distance. The point being that wind and weather will effect Trackman data where it will not GC2. I had a terrible time getting the GC2 aligned with the Trackman target - with the Trackman the unit has a camera that is used to align the unit. So in my case they have a large pole in the distance and when calibrating the Trackman showed me it was aligned with that pole. My GC2 left to right has been good except with very short clubs - which is very strange. Meaning - 25 to 30 yards offline from 110 yards - not something I do very often on the course. Now - one possible cause could be alignment. Meaning on the course maybe I am subconsciously aiming right of my target and hitting slight pulls with some hook spin and thus ending up closer to the flag where in my basement I have everything mapped out to help me keep my alignment square. Yes - I know I am reaching - I am trying not to blame it on the unit. As I previously indicated the 2 definitive answers I got from the test were ball speed (very very close) and launch angle - consistently 3 degrees high on GC2.

I have been working too many hours lately and have not had time to conduct more testing - hopefully will get some in this weekend. I ultimately may not be able to solve this problem until I can get outside and laser some yardages.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kball View Post
    Ok - some additional information. TheGolfer and I have been communicating as I have been struggling with carry distances and suspect that my unit is having an issue. My GC2 was originally about 1.5" below the surface of my mat and so I have moved it to level and about 2 inches above and would say that my results are inclusive to yes it does increase the carry yardage (will need to do more testing). The approach does not make sense to me because if the GC2 is level with the mat and I put the ball on a tee for a driver then I have the same issue as if the GC2 is below the mat and the ball is on the ground.

Regarding my Trackman experience. I was at a location that is recognized as one of the top fitters in the country and does fittings for top ranked amateurs and some pros. Having said that I really have no way to determine whether the unit was configured properly other than trusting in their expertise. All shots were hit with both units on and capturing data at the same time. My carry yardages were less with the Trackman than what I experience on the course, but it was 25 degrees outside and the trackman is actually tracking the flight of the ball (range balls) as it finally estimates a carry distance. The point being that wind and weather will effect Trackman data where it will not GC2. I had a terrible time getting the GC2 aligned with the Trackman target - with the Trackman the unit has a camera that is used to align the unit. So in my case they have a large pole in the distance and when calibrating the Trackman showed me it was aligned with that pole. My GC2 left to right has been good except with very short clubs - which is very strange. Meaning - 25 to 30 yards offline from 110 yards - not something I do very often on the course. Now - one possible cause could be alignment. Meaning on the course maybe I am subconsciously aiming right of my target and hitting slight pulls with some hook spin and thus ending up closer to the flag where in my basement I have everything mapped out to help me keep my alignment square. Yes - I know I am reaching - I am trying not to blame it on the unit. As I previously indicated the 2 definitive answers I got from the test were ball speed (very very close) and launch angle - consistently 3 degrees high on GC2.

I have been working too many hours lately and have not had time to conduct more testing - hopefully will get some in this weekend. I ultimately may not be able to solve this problem until I can get outside and laser some yardages.
    @kball

try to remain positive (pot calling the kettle black and easier said than done) and very persistent. i am in the similar situation, before i got them to agree with sending me a second unit i went ballistic the way they treated me after spending that kind of money and i was stuck. the time it takes to test and valiate is extensive and more than what I anticipated. i know how confusing and frustrating it can be to spend a lot of money and then experience some signfiicant differences.

i too am struggling with getting the exact precise alignment to my target. paperwork says just drop it down and be perpindicular. i need to tape out the target lines and impact points to make sure its spot on. i am testing different Dx, Dy, Dz settings on setup to see if that makes a difference where the unit is positioned.

BTW - been talking with trackman. their trackman 3 indoor sounds great. they interface with E6 but they have so much software that is great and video cameras that are included along with the video software. they are planning on stopping by my house to demo. its very expensive in comparison and has larger space requirements that may have me doing a little construction but its worth a check to see.

Interesting the trackman guy informed me that even with trackman they have experienced a ~3% reduction in distance with pros on the course versus the range after they warm up. he said they think its related to people's adrenaline going up while playing versus hitting balls on the range.

if you have a bushnell 1500 its a great choice for shooting distances. if you don't then try to borrow one. i have tried several gps units and they are as precise as the bushnell 1500 and for this testing you want to get as close as possible i think. very reliable to 1 yard. for short clubs where you can see the ball land long, on, short of the flag you can then shoot the distance to confirm carry and compare what the unit says. it doesn't need to be exact to catch major differences (ie if you see the ball land on the flag or beyond it but the unit says carry is shorter then there is an issue.

BTW the guy at trackman used to work for ping and tested all units including foresight. very extensive testing. i won't disclose any private info. i told him my issue with the screen in conversation and he said industry knows there is a problem with the textaline they are using that causes signficant bounce back. he said they use the same PR-20 impact panels that i ordered from westcoastnetting.com. i feel a lot more comfortable on the new screen now. he said the textaline has had issues with rebound regardless of keeping the sides loose - its the material. I need to move this info over to the screen thread so people know. intersting how jon watters from foresight went on the defensive fighting with me saying he has 'never had an issue with their screen and its me."

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Good for you th Golfer. Continue to keep us posted. The indoor Trackman and the Flightscope are great units but pricey for sure. There are plenty of great options out there.

So KBall do you think it was the GC2 height that affected the distances? Make sure you check it with all clubs. Hope the new clubs work out well.

By the way do any other GC2 users find a difference in the launch angles, distances, spin etc with the different height levels of the unit?

GC2 versus Trackman - Some Numbers

Attached are some numbers comparing the GC2 versus the Trackman. I am also attaching some GC2 "field of view" numbers based on putting the GC2 in 3 different positions. I was trying to see how the GC2 being below, level and above my hitting mat impacts how much the camera can "see" the ball.
    Attached Files

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    The numbers on the sides are the height of the FOV? Can you post some screen shots of the GC2's captures of the ball? If this is not available, what about a screen shot of the camera alignment screen with the ball present.

Big difference in the launch angle and carry between the GC2 and the Trackman!!! Was that difference at the same level as the trackman? I would have expected the horizontal angle to be quite different, more so than the launch and carry. What about the h-angle differences?

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Kball did you try to hit a 7 iron that inconsistently or is that prior to using both machines to hone you skills? (Joke by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    The numbers on the sides are the height of the FOV? Can you post some screen shots of the GC2's captures of the ball? If this is not available, what about a screen shot of the camera alignment screen with the ball present.
    The field of view is the flat surface area that the GC2 "saw" when it was positioned level with my mat, below the surface of my mat and above my mat. So I basically positioned the GC2 and then moved a ball around to determine where it could be seen. I can't post a screen shot of the GC2's capture of the ball - not sure what you mean about a screen shot of the camera alignment screen. There is no official camera alignment screen - the GC2 camera shows whether the ball it sees is within a rectangle and when a green light comes on then you are good to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Big difference in the launch angle and carry between the GC2 and the Trackman!!! Was that difference at the same level as the trackman? I would have expected the horizontal angle to be quite different, more so than the launch and carry. What about the h-angle differences?

The Trackman and the GC2 where at the same level. I don't believe the horizontal numbers are valid as I struggled to get the GC2 aimed at the same target as the Trackman.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Kball did you try to hit a 7 iron that inconsistently or is that prior to using both machines to hone you skills? (Joke by the way)
    Ouch - that hurts. It was my first few swings. Thank god I am more consistent on the course or at least I don't have to hit a lot of 7 irons in a row. I do struggle to hit off mats, my miss tends to be a bit heavy and my opinion is a mat scrubs off a lot more speed than grass!

Then how do you align the cameras? Or are there any alignment or initial setup procedures?

Dont worry I expect the same when I get my equipment. My truestrike gel mat is to ensure I have no excuses about the mat.

Then how do you align the cameras? Or are there any alignment or initial setup procedures?
    The GC2 does not have any alignment or set-up procedures other that positioning parallel to your target line. You then position the ball in its field of view (get a green light) and then hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Dont worry I expect the same when I get my equipment. My truestrike gel mat is to ensure I have no excuses about the mat.
    Do you have a Truestrike gel mat - if so - how do you like it?

The GC2 does not have any alignment or set-up procedures other that positioning parallel to your target line. You then position the ball in its field of view (get a green light) and then hit it.
    I see. I asked because I believe the cameras might be out of alignment. It's the only explaination I can think of. The cameras are operating in stereo 3D mode, like our eyes. Imagine if you have one crooked eye.

What about the focus? Are there focus rings on the lenses?

kball

my field of view looks like below rather than a square:

6" left side
    6" top side
    9.25" bottom side

the O are the outline with the ball on the ground. when i put the ball on the tee the area shrinks by the amount on top by the "X" lines which are about 1" I lose. also lose about 3/4 inch on the slanted side with the ball on thee. i have it level but tried 1, 2" above. my first unit was similar except when i put the ball on the tee i lost 2" on the top line of field of view which made it impossible to tee the ball and hit the ball on the ground next to the tee with a hybrid without moving the unit - the 2nd unit is now only 1" lost on top with the ball on the tee and its very close but doable to hit both without moving. i now just tee off with the rubber tee on the surface with a tee in it and pick it up after hitting to avoid it.

oooooo
    0xxxxx0
    0 x0
    0 xo
    00000000x0

curious what others see on their unit?

what do your measurements look like with the ball on the tee? does the field of view shrink?
    Last edited by TheGolfer; 12-18-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: "x" got translated to some other characters

Do you have a Truestrike gel mat - if so - how do you like it?

my first impression was "like hitting off a Royal Melbourne fairway"

can recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    kball

my field of view looks like below rather than a square:

6" left side
    6" top side
    9.25" bottom side

the O are the outline with the ball on the ground. when i put the ball on the tee the area shrinks by the amount on top by the "X" lines which are about 1" I lose. also lose about 3/4 inch on the slanted side with the ball on thee. i have it level but tried 1, 2" above. my first unit was similar except when i put the ball on the tee i lost 2" on the top line of field of view which made it impossible to tee the ball and hit the ball on the ground next to the tee with a hybrid without moving the unit - the 2nd unit is now only 1" lost on top with the ball on the tee and its very close but doable to hit both without moving. i now just tee off with the rubber tee on the surface with a tee in it and pick it up after hitting to avoid it.

oooooo
    0xxxxx0
    0 x0
    0 xo
    00000000x0

curious what others see on their unit?

what do your measurements look like with the ball on the tee? does the field of view shrink?
    Mine is a shape similar to yours - I just used rectangles on my picture. My bottom is longer than the top and the right side is longer than the left. I have not tried anything on a tee.

I just played 9 holes. I got the stats to show on the GC2 while playing, but I don't know how. Wood distances seem to be more accurate than irons - especially short irons. At times the GC2 carry yardage and the software are not the same. Very confused! Even with all my concerns - it is still fun to play and practice. I either increase the shot boost or choose 1 more club than I would normally hit.

I see. I asked because I believe the cameras might be out of alignment. It's the only explaination I can think of. The cameras are operating in stereo 3D mode, like our eyes. Imagine if you have one crooked eye.

What about the focus? Are there focus rings on the lenses?

I am not aware of any adjustments that can be made to the unit.

I am considering reinstalling the firmware to see if that does anything.

Different question - before you hit do you see the ball laying on the ground? I don't and the tracer starts very high up on the screen. I wish the tracer started lower on the screen.

I am not aware of any adjustments that can be made to the unit.
    That's understandable. They don't want the users messing with it. Probably only for service personnel. And opening it up would probably void the warranty.

Different question - before you hit do you see the ball laying on the ground? I don't and the tracer starts very high up on the screen. I wish the tracer started lower on the screen.
    In GSA, I don't see the ball on the ground. I'll have to check the traces tonight.
    Last edited by ZMax; 12-19-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: meant to say don't see the ball

GC2 Launch monitor Foresightsports problems

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh - there I feel better. I can't believe how much side spin (hook spin) I am getting on a SW. With the hook spin the ball is going left. What kind of side spin are others seeing on a SW from 50 yards. As much as I try, I can't hardly get the side spin below 500 rpm. Typically I am seeing numbers at 1200 plus.

KBall, there must be something wrong with your unit. It probab;y doesn't take much to throw it off. Contact Foresight. Even as a good pr they should fix or replace the unit. Let them know about the forum.

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    I have figured out a bit of a kludge to get the tracer to start lower.- if you change the DZ parameter in your Sim Configuration Tool. This is the number that tells the software how far from the screen to the side of the gc2.

Mine is around 10 feet but if I change this to 6 feet it moves the camera view back a bit and the tracers start lower on teh screen. The side effect to this is that the distance to the pin looks farther than it should. When I practice I change this number per the above so I can see the trajectory of my shots. As I have stated in other threads I hate to see the trace go up above the screen.

kball - still learning how to include attachments. below is a picture (.jpg) of recent shots with a 60 degree LW full swing. let me know if it doesn't come through. My short / mid irons tend to also go left. my PW - 7iron turn over more. maybe outside i am subconsiouscly aiming slight right but i think i would know that by now. i believe my shaft flex is slightly weak in the short clubs and slightly too strong on the woods which make it easier to close the face on the shorter ones and harder on the longer ones. side spin was 1200 but the backspin calculations were > 6200. though the 1200 is high the amount of backspin should cancel most of it possibly. understand its one spin along an axis but the concept should hold.

curious what others get.

60 degree LW.jpg

I need to take some time to tweak mine my Dx so the ball starts on the target line on the range. i did measure and thought i had it correct but the ball always starts right of the line. i know i average 3-7 degrees in to out (higher on longer clubs / less on shorter) but i would have thought the ball should start at impact on the line not start on the right of it. do you get the same thing or were you able to adjust your Dx so the ball starts right on the target line?

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    The DX should be distance from the center of projected image to front of GC2.

I have my gc2 lined up so I hit from a spot that lines up with the middle of my impact screen - I then move the Gc2 so I can hit from that spot then measure how far the gc2 is from the center line (or center of screen) and that is my DX number.

If you are starting the ball right then it wouldn't hit the aim line on the screen??

Not sure I follow your question

Thread Information