100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LCD or LED?

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

LCD or LED?

Going boxing day to buy a new TV! I can't seem to find enough info/opinions on which way to go, LCD or LED so I'd like the knowledgeable opinion of the O'Goers. It will be hooked up to satellite HD. Is the LED worth the extra cost? I do see a little bit of a difference when I stand in front of them at Bestbuy but I am not convinced it's worth the extra cash. I think I'd rather purchase a larger LCD rather that a smaller LED for the same money. My TV viewing consists of Hockey, Golf, and regular TV viewing, CSI, A&E, Big Bang Theory etc. No gaming will be done on this one. Opinions?

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    LCD!
    LED are good but expensive.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I have both, and the LED has a better picture quality, is thinner & lighter, and overall has more features. I much prefer the LED. Samsung's LED's are really good.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    With TVs it is better to have higher quality than larger size. LED all the way.
    +1 for Samsung LED
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    With TVs it is better to have higher quality than larger size. LED all the way.
    +1 for Samsung LED
    What??? Siza does matter???

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    It really depends on your budget. Any TV is going to look great on your wall and you won't be comparing it to other TVs once its there. I have a 46" Sony LCD and it is awesome. I can't imagine the picture being any better. I think the differences are so slight and again, when you compare side to side you may see a slight difference but in your home you won't notice. I would go LCD since I don't think the extra $ is worth it. How big are you looking to go?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    it is better to have higher quality than larger size.
    ohh Reza!!! I must resist!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    It really depends on your budget. Any TV is going to look great on your wall and you won't be comparing it to other TVs once its there. I have a 46" Sony LCD and it is awesome. I can't imagine the picture being any better. I think the differences are so slight and again, when you compare side to side you may see a slight difference but in your home you won't notice. I would go LCD since I don't think the extra $ is worth it. How big are you looking to go?
    We are not sure about the size. Probably between 40-49". If the price is awesome on Boxing day maybe 55" but I doubt it as it would probably look too big for the wall it is going on. I was thinking the same as you in that once it is home and installed I probably won't notice that it's not an LED. But I am thinking that 2-3 years from now I may wish I had purchased the LED and regret my decision to go with LCD. I don't plan on upgrading for 5+ years. Our current tv is at least 8 years old.

I don't think you will regret it. everytime I look at my tv I think how great it looks. I can't see the need in the near term to spend any more $ or upgrade to anything better. Even my 42" Sony LCD RPTV in the basement still looks great after almost 6 years and I don't regret purchasing that over anything else. My concern is spending too much on a TV such that in a few years it develops an unfixable problem and the thought I overspent on something that is now a boat anchor.

this is the one I own

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10139083.aspx

Awesome. Do you happen to know the response/refresh rate? Usually somewhere between 3-5 seconds. I'd love to get one around 3. I'm assuming it's good for watching sports? Hockey especially? And what about the sound? Do you use the stock internal speakers it came with or an external system? Thanks for the help.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I have a plasma and just love it. After 4 years I am still amazed with the quality. +1 for Samsung.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

it's 120Hz refresh rate if that helps. I watch all kinds of hockey, I think the lag time people talk about with LCD is overrated. Sound is run through my Yamaha receiver and then through my speakers so I don't use the speakers on the TV.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Not in the market... Yet! but here is what I've heard/read about LED. When I was in Bleeker TV last year the salesperson (objective of course) said LED is the wave of the future and has double the life expectancy of most TVs on the market now (recall him saying something like 100,000 hrs before it starts to go). Side/side comparison, LED the best, IMHO. Sure you won't see the diff once you install it, but why go with an inferior product from the start? Down side of this of course is when the new technology comes out, as it will invariably, your "stuck" again with a great piece of "old' technology. Since LED is making LCD and Plasma obsolete (in the years to come) why invest in "old" technology? LED is more expensive, but prices are down considerably since last Dec, and continue to fall. Finally, have heard that LED are good in all light conditions, which cannot be said for either LCD and Plasma. Happy shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Not in the market... Yet! but here is what I've heard/read about LED. When I was in Bleeker TV last year the salesperson (objective of course) said LED is the wave of the future and has double the life expectancy of most TVs on the market now (recall him saying something like 100,000 hrs before it starts to go). Side/side comparison, LED the best, IMHO. Sure you won't see the diff once you install it, but why go with an inferior product from the start? Down side of this of course is when the new technology comes out, as it will invariably, your "stuck" again with a great piece of "old' technology. Since LED is making LCD and Plasma obsolete (in the years to come) why invest in "old" technology? LED is more expensive, but prices are down considerably since last Dec, and continue to fall. Finally, have heard that LED are good in all light conditions, which cannot be said for either LCD and Plasma. Happy shopping!
    first of all, you are not "stuck" with old technology. The technology is great and will be for years to come. And its hardly inferior and if it is its by a hair and again, won't be noticeable once you get it home. And with prices continuing to come down, why spend more now? You can't play the future proof idea as there will always be something better coming out next year or the year after. My LCD is great in a bright room with no issues. Fact is you pay a premium for LED now and if money is no object, then I suggest why not. But if it is and you want the best bang for your buck, buy an LCD.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Don't waste your money on LED unless you want 3d, one of my best friends works for LG and is adamant the the difference is negligible. I've had my 120HZ LG 42' LCD for 3 years now and it's as good as it was on day one and side by side to an LED the difference is absolutely tiny. You will save a ton of money and still get a high quality product.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Second portion; Anyone have recommendations on where to buy a TV in Ottawa? I'm thinking Future Shop or Bestbuy, but is there somewhere you'd recommend instead?

Stereoplus in Orleans. Don't bother with the junk at the other stores. Best retailer out there in the affordable, and non-affordable ranges. They know their products!

Bleekers is good as well if you are looking for knowledgeable folks with great service. If you are just looking for the best price, keep an eye out on the boxing day flyers from BB, FS, etc.

I disagree with Bleekers wholeheartedly as they are grossly overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    like I said, if you are looking for service, buy it there. if you are looking for the best price, look elsewhere.

I still say Stereoplus has the best combination of service/knowledge/price around!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    A lot of the boxing day flyers are already up on redflag. http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    36 months interest free across the river

http://www.braultetmartineau.com/cat...2&limits=40,10
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I still say Stereoplus has the best combination of service/knowledge/price around!
    Yep i agree with this, i have 2 Plasma's and and 1 LCD, all panasonic from these guys and they have been great!

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    36 months interest free across the river

http://www.braultetmartineau.com/cat...2&limits=40,10
    Stereo plus has this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Bleekers is good as well if you are looking for knowledgeable folks with great service. If you are just looking for the best price, keep an eye out on the boxing day flyers from BB, FS, etc.
    Could not agree more!
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

That has NOT been my experience. They were flexible in pricing with me on a stereo last year, and the bonus for me was the service and knowledge of the people. Not saying there are not more like them but I don't think they hire kids at minimum wage (as in BB, FS, or The Brick)
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Thread Information