100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road

Redchain Software Upgrade Wish List for GC2 Users

GC2 users -

I created this thread for us to collect our wish list of upgrades to the redchain software for the GC2 simulator. This is not a complaint list but a way for us to collect our recommendations for feature enhancements. Heard foresight / redchain are planning a software revision for 2012. Perhaps if we collect our recommendations and provide as a group to both companies we may have a better probability of getting some of the enhancements versus individually.

I will start with some of my own thoughts below.

HIGH PRIORITY (from my perspective not others)
    1. Provide users the ability to adjust the fairway roll up / down (preferably down but it would be nice to have both options for users to tailor the rol to their respective environment)

2. Allow users to choose distance anywhere from green to tee off without a penalty
    - i need for a child where the red tees are still too far
    - prefer to not take a stroke when you choose to tee off closer like a penalty drop

3. Provide userss the ability to adjust the green speed up / down

MED PRIORITY (from my perspective not others)
    4. Provide users ability to move the green in / out in practice and fitting mode by using
    - a) cursor keys
    - b) entering yardage via keyboard
    - c) drop down yardage list

LOWER PRIORITY (ditto)
    5. Consider providing the ability for users to enter either elevation or ideally location to determine elevation and adjust carry.
    - assume they are using some average elevation in their estimates
    - some users my have high / low elevation that would cause carry to increase / decrease

6. Consider providing the ability for users to enter playing temperature and adjust carry
    - assume they are using some average warm temperature
    - some users may be in colder / warmer climates that would cause to increase / decrease carry
    Last edited by TheGolfer; 12-11-2011 at 08:41 PM.

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    Here are some of my wishlist items -

GC2 Carry Algorithm - Low spin shots carry a bit too far. On the GC2 itself and in simulation software. I find shots that I hit a little thin carry too far. Hoping for continued refinements to the algorightm to address this situation.

Improved Camera Views -
    • Give users ability to customize camera views / tilt would be great.
    • If not, hoping for improved chase ball cam with camera further behind so it doesn't chase so close to the ball. Don't like how currently you lose the hole in the backround with camera looking up at the ball then the sky.
    • Would like to get short iron trajectory tracer to not fly up above the screen. Would be nice to be able to adjust camera view so this doesn't happen. I enjoy seeing the entire trajectory of my shots with the tracers completely visible on screen. Its nice when you are working on flighting down wedges to be able to see the traces on screen and not up above it.
    • Thinner tracer lines and maybe some other tracer options - something in between comet view and tracer lines.

Auto Putt - would like to be able to play a round of golf and have the option to not putt at all. Believe GSA version has this option already. Auto 2 putt on every hole would be acceptible for me anyways. (not sure how GSA has implemented) I don't want to manually enter a number on each hole just given a 2 putt unless its inside my choice for a 1 putt range.

Improved Mini Map - show more yardages to bunkers, aiming circle, hazards by default off the tee. Same thing on 2nd shot par 5 - provide more distances to layup and other objects in the way. On approach shots - front , back, center of green distances and maybe even greenside bunkers.

Greenside bunker Blast - you should be able to select an option to blast the ball like you would in real golf. Very difficult currently to hit green side bunker shots - you have to swing like you are hitting a flop. Or maybe give green side bunkers a more severe lie lpenalty so you can swing like you would in a real bunker to have ball go a shorter distance.

Improved Select a Hole - a lot of times I am looking for certain type of hole to play (ie: par 3 of a certain distance)- The current select a hole option just lets you choose 1-18 with no idea what the hole is until it loads or unless you know them by heart. Would love to see a bit more information on this select a hole popup - maybe the par for each hole and also the distance. would also be nice if this popup could be triggered by clicking on the hole information button at the bottom of the screen to save a step.

thegolfer - on this item of yours

"Provide users ability to move the green in / out in practice and fitting mode by using"

not sure if you are aware that you can right click on the mini map and put yourself at whatever yardage you want on any hole or the range in both practice and fitting modes.

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    I Auto Putt all the time on my GC2. The option is there. When you are starting your round, it's under the "gimmies" section. After the hole, it asks you how many putts you would like to add to your score. I usually put 2. I do this mode when I take my GC2 to the driving range with me, then I don't have to waste range balls on putting.

I would like the option to zoom to the green when moving the aiming pin, like in the Tiger Woods games. I usually aim a little left to compensate for my draw.

I also wouldn't mind if they maybe made it more of a video game interface by adding challenges and an online achievement system of some sort. Rather than go into specifics, ripping off a newer tiger woods game would be perfect. Have specific challenges for every course (hit 12 fairways, hit 12 greens, go up and down, putt less than 36 times, get a hole in one, etc...) would be cool, along with some soft of online leaderboard, online regular tournaments, etc... It would also give you something to work for while you are playing.

great suggetsions guys. keep them coming. i think we are going to get a great list once all uses submit their input.

js1010, i agree with walb0034 - i did see the autoputt option where he describes just haven't tried it yet. i am aware of the right click on the mini map but using my laptop now as i replace my powersuplly on the new from 700w to 1000w. the laptop has a touch pad. its a pain to hold the cursor steady to get the exact yardage i want then right click and make sure i am still centered. it could be function of using his darn laptop - waiting for my new computer to be returned and when it does maybe this is not an issue anymore. appreciate it.

Yes, auto putt is in there but you have to tell it how many strokes after each hole. I guess I am hoping for an automatic 2 putt unless its within my one putt range that I also selected in that menu. Not a huge deal to manual input scores but seems easy for them to program in so you can just move along and not have to go to the computer all the time.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    TheGolfer,

Sorry for butting in, but 1000w? Are you planning on driving 3 screens for a panoramic view or does your golf simulator PC double as a griddle for cooking breakfast?

Another Idea more wishlist and along the lines of walb0034 was thinking.

Scoring Game

Something similar to what trackman has done with their trackman combine.
    http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours...equipment-0816

Basically a way to test accuracy / distance control skills by hitting shots to a bunch of different pin distance and getting scored at each location based on how close you get to each pin.

Trackman has it setup where your score is posted to an online site where I think you can compare your skills to others as well as tour pros that have taken the test. I just read how Luke Donald just got one of the highest scores ever posted on this test.

http://blog.trackman.dk/?p=628

I think something like this would be very cool - even just keeping high scores locally for yourself so you can see if you are improving over time – Doing something online to see how you do vs others would be cool though – especially seeing how you do vs. pro’s that have taken the test.

yea, something just like that. Make it more like a game, and I'm liable to practice more. Not that I don't enjoy hammering balls on the range for hours... but give me a target to shoot at and let me earn points!

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    TheGolfer,

Sorry for butting in, but 1000w? Are you planning on driving 3 screens for a panoramic view or does your golf simulator PC double as a griddle for cooking breakfast?
    Told you this thing is a beast. It looks like its made to power a nuclear reactor

Yes three screens. HD Projector and 1080P touch screen for simulator and 1080P LCD for the computer for non sim use. The configurator on their website recommended minimum 700W based on CPU, GPU, and overclock but it didn't ask how many displays you intend to drive.

Once the company understood I am driving 3 displays they suggested going higher to 1000W. They explained I am right on the cusp without three displays. Not sure if its a pure upsell. They said the radeon 6970 graphci card can draw 400W alone, the 4.5ghz overclock draws extra, extra components (ssd, hd, bd burner, ~6 USB connections) along with the 3 monitors.

Found one that is $70 more than the 700W. If its not an upsell and is needed wish they told me sooner, but understand its a unique situation.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Your displays shouldn't draw any power from the computer's power supply. They plug in separately.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Your displays shouldn't draw any power from the computer's power supply. They plug in separately.
    I think they meant that the graphic card will draw more power for each display it drives at the same time. For example it may need 400W with 1 display connected and maybe more with 2-3 connected simultaneously? The monitor itself has its own power. Curious to know if this is fact or not. If not then they are trying to upsell. I need to shoot over a question to AMD.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I did see power supplies up to 1200unit Watt in Compusa. And here I thought I had gone overboard with a 700 Watt unit.

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    I think they meant that the graphic card will draw more power for each display it drives at the same time. For example it may need 400W with 1 display connected and maybe more with 2-3 connected simultaneously? The monitor itself has its own power. Curious to know if this is fact or not. If not then they are trying to upsell. I need to shoot over a question to AMD.
    TheGolfer, Some video cards require higher out power supplies but it really does not matter how many monitors you have hooked up to each. On my desktop I have 3 Nvidia cards each with 2 monitors hooked up and im only using a 750W PS although that is a bit less then it should be it is a high end unit from Corsair.

@netcam

thanks for the feedback. sounds like maybe they are trying to upsell me. so you are 750 - what cpu, overclocked?, how many additional components do you have off the power supplie (liquid cooling, fans, burners, ssd driver, hd drives, sound cards, etc),

curious which nvidia cards you have. i can do a quick lookup and see the power requirements for all three versus the single radeon 6970. perhaps i should have went with three individual cards but much less than the 6970.

i was hoping not to do it but I think the only way to confirm the power supply requirement is to sum all the components in the computer each of the power supply requirements I think.

your the second member that mentioned that a single graphic card driving 1 monitor versus 3 monitors at the same time should draw the same power as the 1 monitor config. something doesn't sound right they are telling me.

thanks for the feedback.

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    I have a Core i7, 2 Corsair SSD's, 3 Nvidia GTX 260's, 6GB DDR3 ram all running off that 750 but it should really have a 1000W PS. Your system should run off a 750 or 1000W fine.

Just got off the phone with cyberpowerpc.com. they are now saying the highly recommend going to 1000W versus 750W rather than saying its a hard requirement. They said overlclocking the 2700k by 30% and having 3 simultaneous displays off the 6970 gpu are pushing the limits of the 750W. It was only a few bucks to go with the larger so I did. Better safe than sorry. I explained each monitor has its own power. He said its not that power but he said the computer will draw more power as you connect more displays for the gpu to drive additional signals out. He said that if you have one monitor connected the gpu is only sending signals out to the one connection which takes less power. Personnaly, no clue but when I found out its only a few bucks better safe than 2 months down the road have my memory / cpu fried and face a big I told you so when I call them.

Just played a round and I realized the thing that annoys me more than anything is putting. I hate that it says I should putt the ball 5.9mph for ideal putt. I would much rather it tells me that I should strike it like I was trying to putt it 11 feet. Or tell me a percentage. Like if I'm 9 feet from the hole but it's a downhill putt, have it say that I hit to hit the ball at 50%. ANYTHING would be better than telling me how fast I need to putt in miles per hour ball speed.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I agree with you on that one walb0034. That should be a simple fix for the GC2.

I think we all agree on that. Who actually thinks of mph when putting or even knows what an 11ft putt is in mph? Veriy weird. It even adjusts the mph up/down for up/down hill puts but useless. I like your suggestion to tell us in feet and tell us the green speed it is programmed for. allow green speed adjustment. then for up/down tells us the effective feet for the elevation change. that would be nice assuming it was accurate.

Another one is that on the range the trees look like direction and the ball just flys through them (if you hit over the green). Not sure if this happens on the course. curious others perspective on that.

Putting needs a lot of work for green speeds. On my first unit I took precise measurements on my 10.5 green and measured putts every 3 feet from 20 feet down to 2 feet. Once I rolled it precisely the length I compared it to foresight. It was always short. As you got to 12ft and worked down to 2ft putts the gap went up exponentially (ie 12ft putts were really off ~40%, 8fts ~55%, and 4% like 80% so it was impossible to make short putts. Since I had a problem with the first one I haven't repeated that test with the second one yet. Curios if anyone else has a puttign green and measured their putts. Just roll out a measuring tape and putt to it to get the exact length and see what gc2 says.

Did the same for chip carries and it was way off on the first unit. Need to finish testing the second unit.

The Golfer you are not yet finished testing the second unit? How is it testing thus far? Putting is a tough one for all sims to really master, so not suprised. Is the roll of the green with putting controlled by Redchain?

not sure if putting roll is controlled by redchain sim software or GC2 unit. i know they are all not good but even TruGolf 3track was 75% closer to reality compared to this not saying that one is great but it was better than putting no gc2. i think the sensor pads i hate to say may have an advantage on slow putts where maybe the cameras are not triggered in time for short putts and has less time to get the measurements then (guessing). could be they are a fitting company and did not bother to optimize putting. Now it was on my first unit. The one in the store I tested the green speed felt like a 13-15 stimp super fast. The first unit I had was always short even on putts. Just didn't get to testing that piece yet but will do the same for the 2nd unit. As kball can attest its way to much validations / testing when these things are off a little plus weaving all that in between the day job.

curious who does control the putting wtih gc2.

testing seemed better so far with the irons. hard to finish without my new screen yet if I don't want to kill anyone with rebound. I have tested a few cautioslly and it looks better than the first. I still question a little on some clubs. I did hide the women and children today and my first test with my two drivers seemed ok. Perhaps they were originally ment as a driver fitting with shaft mgrs and retailers so their algorithms are tailored to the driver launch and roll. it was not very extensive but 6 each club was ok. My irons on some days are shorter for somer reason but not consistently. I need to further explore.

If trackman comes over for an inhouse demo I can compare them side to side. that would be be a great comparison. .

interesting they removed the capability for users to adjust carry/roll based on temperature / elevation because fitters / retailers were maxing the settings out so users think they are crushing that new driver so much farther. they took that out of tm3 but i told him if they display it big letters on the hitting screen and report users should be able to see the baseline contions and provide users like us the flexiblity to tailor - he thought it was a good idea. very open to hearing new ideas - unlike foresight who told me they view these suggestions as "complaints"

Not sure about who controls the roll with putting. Your unit seems much better but not perfect. Once your screen gets resolved then you can really give I a go. Testing with the Trackman is fantastic. Do keep us in th loop with your findings theGolfer.

Thegolfer- where did you find out they removed the option for users to adjust carry roll based on temp, elevation, etc. i have never seen any of those options in the gc2 or the software . Its just been the ability to boost in the ame option settings.

sorry for the confusion between gc2 and trackman. trackman is who had the capability to adjust based on temp / elevation. they actually looked up your location and adjusted. they removed it since fitters were maxing out elevation and temperature without telling consumers so they think they hit their new clubs further. people were starting to blame trackman but it was the fitters so for quality control they removed that. he did say they may becoming out with a gps feature that identifies your location and does it autmatically but not yet.

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    This might be similar to the scoring game mentioned above, but essentially a practice mode that switches the shots automatically. Say you select you want to practice chipping - it picks a chip shot and after you execute the shot then it moves you to a new location. Or the option for short game practice where you chip and then putt out. Could have an approach shot mode that functions similarly.

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    More flexibility to adjust the penalties (reduced yardage) for different types of lies.

Is foresight aware of this thread?

Putter TwistedlyHip is on a distinguished road
    I would like to see a better grid display with directional arrows or indicators for breaks on the greens, in fact I believe there should be a default button to turn on green grid display when the player is within 40 yards of the green. I am basing this off of what I see on the demo version so maybe I'm just assuming its not that way in the updated version.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    Hit "G" to toggle it.

Thread Information