100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter raine72 is on a distinguished road

optishot p3pro christmas present

As the title says been reading some links here and from what I can say people seem to like the accuracy of the p3 pro much more than the optishot. At this time these are the only two that I can really afford. Question I guess I have is from the members here is, would you say this opinion is correct. If so what course options would you recommend, it seems like you can get the 9 premium 18 premium, what packages would you recommend.

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    I would suggest that you look closely at all threads and try to consider objectively what the comments are -- there are good and bad for both. Also, be sure to compare apples with apples -- dollar for dollar look at what you get -- I think that the base for the P3Pro does not include much for a turf to hit off of but consider what is available in the aftermarket on turf hitting options - down the road both you and your clubs will appreciate a better hitting surface. Also, the accuracy of both to a great extent is based on the proper setup. Although the Optishot does not require marking clubs, there are some recent threads that comment on increased accuracy by doing so.

In my opinion, the greater consideration is what type of balls you plan to use and do you plan on projecting the image onto the hitting surface -- doing that is a great enhancement to either and, if you decide you really like it, purchasing the right screen and projector will probably be able to be stay in place if you decide to upgrade the golf simulator itself. Regarding the projector, you do not have to own the latest and greatest, there are a ton of used projectors that do a great job with a 720p image at very low prices and I don't think they will leave you disappointed. That brings me to the last thing, also consider resale down the road if you either decide to upgrade or decide you just do not want to use it any longer. On that one, I do believe the Optishot has the edge if only from the larger following for it (only my opinion ).

Well that's the thing that scares me the most I don't play golf and my dad is a plus 1 handicap so I was looking for something that is reliable or consistent. Every review I read up on optishot is that it is not consistent at all.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    Both units are similar technology and in terms of real accuracy suffer greatly from lack of measured ball info. I doubt a scratch golfer would be happy with either one. Better to align expectations and buy them for the pure fun factor. A projector would make a bigger difference than the sim for the "fun factor".

7 Iron readygolf is on a distinguished road
    Last edited by readygolf; 02-23-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by raine72 View Post
    As the title says been reading some links here and from what I can say people seem to like the accuracy of the p3 pro much more than the optishot. At this time these are the only two that I can really afford. Question I guess I have is from the members here is, would you say this opinion is correct. If so what course options would you recommend, it seems like you can get the 9 premium 18 premium, what packages would you recommend.
    That's not entirely accurate. With taped clubs, the Optishot club readings can be on par with the P3pro. It appears that you might be leaning towards the P3pro but I would recommend the Optishot. The Optishot has better software and a more realistic ball flight. And they are always coming out with new courses. The Optishot appears to have better resale value for when you decide to upgrade to a better sim.

While the $599 P3pro price is tempting, it does not include a grass surface. The surface is hard rubber. I can tell you from experience and others will agree with me that hitting from this hard rubber surface sucks asss! You can easily injure yourself. The grass top add-on is another $350.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    So true, Zmax. My feelings exactly. For me, the Optishot worked right out of the box without modifications.

Last edited by readygolf; 02-23-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Readygolf, if you get a golfnutz turf pad for $59 for the Optishot that problem is quickly solved.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I tend to disagree readygolf and agree with ZMax. I had the rubber top as well and it was terrible for my swing. Lets call it as it is, the rubber top is completely unnatural. I do think that some aggressive players that take big divots could potentially injure themselves. I certainly did not like it at all. The first generation top was only marginally better and was quite hard. Well overpriced for what you get. Unsure how the second generation feels, but hopefully it is more natural. The fact is, if the rubber top was that good, then why are they trying hard to come up with a grass like surface? If or whenever I play in an all rubber surfaced real golf course, then I will go back to the rubber top .

Quick question for those that have tried both, I got a pm with this morning with someone that is trying to sell their old p3 pro for 500 I think. It comes with the first generation grass top. At this price 100 more than an optishot new out of the box, would you still get the optishot, or do you think that this would make the p3 pro the better value. At this time the p3pro just has the original 2 courses that it comes with I believe. Talking to everyone I am starting to think that optishot now may be the better deal considering you get the courses for free. Interested to see what you guys think.

If you are planning on playing course then get the Optishot. The 2 courses with P3pro are bad.

Putter Twombomber is on a distinguished road
    For Psace and others,
    I'm considering getting the Golfnutz turf pad for my optishot. Is it a lot more forgiving than the original pad? Now that the cold has settled in and I've played for the first time on it in a long while, I find myself not wanting to hit down on the ball with my irons--so many thin shots/bad contact. This carried over to my outdoor game at times and I'd really like something that I wasn't afraid to hit down on.

Quote Originally Posted by Twombomber View Post
    For Psace and others,
    I'm considering getting the Golfnutz turf pad for my optishot. Is it a lot more forgiving than the original pad? Now that the cold has settled in and I've played for the first time on it in a long while, I find myself not wanting to hit down on the ball with my irons--so many thin shots/bad contact. This carried over to my outdoor game at times and I'd really like something that I wasn't afraid to hit down on.
    Just to throw another option - my system actually provides a second cushion in addition to the turf with the urethane shell that surrounds the Optishot. Hope this is not considered advertising - if so, I do apologize.

Putter Spike_Marx is on a distinguished road
    For anyone thinking about taking the plunge for the Optishot, Golf Galaxy is offering it at 20% off along with free shipping for Cyber Monday. You need to enter the CYBERMONDAY code at checkout...

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/OPTISHOTGO...d=HPO-OptiShot

Sand Wedge thorin33 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanjoe View Post
    Just to throw another option - my system actually provides a second cushion in addition to the turf with the urethane shell that surrounds the Optishot. Hope this is not considered advertising - if so, I do apologize.
    I have the base/turf combo that jagmanjoe developed and have been using it on my Optishot for a month. Previously I was using a Fiberbuilt stance mat and cut the sensor slits out and just put it on top of the Optishot. With jagmanjoe's unit, it allows you to hit down into the ball and simulates taking a divot very well. The turf mat he includes has held up very well and used in conjunction with his base, feels as good if not better than hitting off my Fiberbuilt stance mat. The built in rubber tee holder is awesome as well.

If you have more questions just fire me a PM.

Last edited by readygolf; 02-23-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Putter tommyo62 is on a distinguished road
    First of all, thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum, you have been a huge source of information to me.
    I am looking to buy the p3pro or optishot as they are within my budget. I am leaning towards the p3pro for a few reasons (not in order of importance):
    1. Ability to add launch angle
    2. Video capture integration
    3. Club head height info. (heel/toe position and angle of attack)
    I realize from reading many posts that points 1 and 2 are far from perfect but I hope they are at least usable. I also realize that no top is included but I believe aftermarket solutions exist. Club taping is not a huge issue as I have an extra set of clubs that I can keep taped. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    I do have one question concerning the top: how does the thickness of a turf top affect accuracy?

Lob Wedge dockrue is on a distinguished road
    I have the P3Pro and when I used the aftermarket turf top from CDG (it got destroyed rather easily IMO) it did affect accuracy because of the little pieces of turf that would get swept into the sensor holes as well as it getting slightly misaligned with clear viewing to the sensor holes when it was velcroed to the rubber base.

So I'm waiting to try Jagmanjoe's aftermarket turf top (depending on pricing) and if that doesn't work I'll begrudgingly pay the $350 for P3 grass top retrofit.

My main concern with the aftermarket options are if they slide around slightly meaning that I have to realign them to the sensors after every couple shots. Whereas the retrofit from P3 will not have that issue.

Hope that helps.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyo62 View Post
    I do have one question concerning the top: how does the thickness of a turf top affect accuracy?
    You will have to adjust your tee height in the menu to account for the added thickness. Tee heights can go up to 3.5 inches so there is lots of room to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by dockrue View Post
    I have the P3Pro and when I used the aftermarket turf top from CDG (it got destroyed rather easily IMO) it did affect accuracy because of the little pieces of turf that would get swept into the sensor holes as well as it getting slightly misaligned with clear viewing to the sensor holes when it was velcroed to the rubber base.

So I'm waiting to try Jagmanjoe's aftermarket turf top (depending on pricing) and if that doesn't work I'll begrudgingly pay the $350 for P3 grass top retrofit.

My main concern with the aftermarket options are if they slide around slightly meaning that I have to realign them to the sensors after every couple shots. Whereas the retrofit from P3 will not have that issue.

Hope that helps.
    I should have them ready to ship by the beginning of January. The Lite version with the 110 oz turf will be priced at no more than $79.00 and the regular Soft Shell will be about 169.00 with the Fiberbuilt mat. I am looking to do the "on the fly" changeout to rough or sand as options that could be added later. Also the full version as the name Soft Shell implies, will totally surround the P3 and the Lite version will also be a fit such that it should not move around.

Quote Originally Posted by jagmanjoe View Post
    I should have them ready to ship by the beginning of January. The Lite version with the 110 oz turf will be priced at no more than $79.00 and the regular Soft Shell will be about 169.00 with the Fiberbuilt mat. I am looking to do the "on the fly" changeout to rough or sand as options that could be added later. Also the full version as the name Soft Shell implies, will totally surround the P3 and the Lite version will also be a fit such that it should not move around.
    I know you mean no harm jagmanjoe but be careful not to advertise here due to forum rules. Post in the classified section is probably the place to post prices etc. Having said that the top sounds great. Perhaps place a post in the advertising section with a link to where one can see the products!

My apologies, Bubba and thanks for the advise.

No worrie jag. Like I said, your product sounds great. Looks like a good upgrade mat. Is it for just the P3pro or the DD as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    No worrie jag. Like I said, your product sounds great. Looks like a good upgrade mat. Is it for just the P3pro or the DD as well?
    I actually am selling the ones for the DD already.

Thread Information