100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Par Kball is on a distinguished road

GC2 Shot Data

Ok - I figured out how to do an attachment.

Attached is data for a pitching wedge. I normally can carry a PW 120 yards. I am struggling to get a little over 100 yards of carry.
    Attached Files

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    are you trying to post a file to this thread?

I ran a few of your shots through the shot simulator app on my machine and I get the same carry numbers. So this tells me that carry is being calculated correctly but could be there is something going on that the unit is measuring something incorrectly - maybe ball speed.

Have you brought your unit outside and hit a few shots and actually measured them vs what the unit tells you?

I have not. I know my iron yardages fairly well from using a laser when playing. I need to see if I get outside before the snow starts coming down. Will be difficult to get good information as it will definitely be cool / cold and probably windy. I have a golf galaxy not to far from me - maybe I will see what my short irons are like on their simulator. Did you get the same offline numbers when you ran it through the shot simulator?

I ran three of your shots through on my machine and got same carry yardages.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    For a 120 carry, your ball speed is too low. The sim doesn't measure clubspeed so there must be an issue with the ball speed measurement. I would expect the ball speed to be in the 90's for a 120 carry.

Kball what was the outcome with the gc2 unit?

Still working on the issue. Have not contacted Foresight yet as I am accumulating data / facts as to what is going on. Interesting is that it appears to be more accurate when I turn off the wait for spins feature. I also see a slight increase in carry yardages when I raise the GC2 above the level of my hitting surface.

Every one in awhile - with a putt or short chip - the unit registers the shot, but makes a strange static noise. Any other GC2 users ever experience this?

Very interesting. So it's more accurate with the spin data off? What are you finding, low distances? I can understand that the accuracy would be lower if it is not at the same level? Less accurate with spin off is strange.

Short carry distances and more accurate with the wait for spin off.

Strange!!!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Makes no sense. Might need to have Foresight calibrate it.

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    What kind of ball are you using?

Pro V1. My plan is to go to a place about 100 miles from my home that has Trackman units and do a comparison. It is a business that specializes in custom fitting - I even believe they have a few GC2 units on site. I probably won't be able to get up there for a week or so.

I need to stop "trying" to make the distance right - meaning I am finding I am swinging way too hard trying to get the distance to resemble what I experience on course. I just need to set the distance boost until I can get this issue resolved. I do think something is not right with my unit - as previously mention I get the software indicating one distance the GC2 unit indicating another distance - this is with the wait for spin mode enabled.

Another question for fellow GC2 users - when you are using the GC2 connected to the computer simulation software does the GC2 display the ball statistics as well as show them on the computer software? The vast majority of the time I see a Foresight Sports logo on my GC2 screen, but no statistics are visible. Everyone in awhile it does display the statistics, but I have not found a way to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kball View Post
    Another question for fellow GC2 users - when you are using the GC2 connected to the computer simulation software does the GC2 display the ball statistics as well as show them on the computer software? The vast majority of the time I see a Foresight Sports logo on my GC2 screen, but no statistics are visible. Everyone in awhile it does display the statistics, but I have not found a way to make it happen.
    I too am wondering how to do this. When I was demo'ing the unit at GolfSmith, every shot showed on the unit as well. However, my unit only shows the logo when I'm doing simulation play. If you figure it out, please let me know as I would like to see my spin and carry on the unit itself.

Believe if you restart the gc2 while the simulation software is running the numbers on the gc2 will display. When you resart the sim sofware - it seems to disable the display on the gc2 screen -

You can always turn on the audio on the gc2 and hear the numbers spoken out after each shot. Button on the right side unit.

Kball, As far as the wait for spin off getting longer distances goes. Yes, it does.

My understanding of this feature is that it determines if the carry algorithm used is from gc2 or if you have wait for spin off then the gc2 launch numbers are sent to red chain software and it uses its own algorithm to compute carry yardages. I find the red chain yardges to be longer with irons but very short with the driver. I always use wait for spin on - better carry all around and the reason why they added this feature earlier this year.

Curiuos how you make out at this facility with trackman - seems there is something going on with you unit - keep in touch.

Kball I hit some pitching wedges tonight and some 7-irons to see what my numbers were, particularly side spin. I usually hit my pitching wedge about 120 yards carry distance, and my 7 iron about 150 yard carry. My normal shot trajectory is a little to the left.

My numbers were not as dramatic as yours for sidespin, and I must say that everything seemed perfect to me when I was hitting it compared with real golf.

If you are truely carrying 120 normally and those are the numbers it's giving you, I'd send it back and ask for a new one.

mp30 pitching wedge.pdf
    mp30 7-iron.pdf

Thanks for sharing. Your numbers show far less side spin and a ball path that is left of target. Interestingly your yards offline is similar to mine - although I have much higher side spin and have a ball path that is closer to straight.

My short clubs are normally a strength - so being consistently left by 10 plus yards is just not correct.

walb0034,

Looking at the numbers in your pdf, ball launch azimuths of 5-8 degrees are pretty drastic. If I get even 2 degrees left of target on a normal swing, I get **. You have an extreme outside-in swing most of the time(with a closed face sometimes) in real life? Starting that much left of target and finishing that far offline with a PW? Is that accurate to your real golf?

Kball,

As walb0034 suggested, something is wrong with your unit. You bought it earlier this year correct? So it should still be under warranty. For that kind of money, you should get the Lexus treatment. Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by ZMax; 12-07-2011 at 09:33 PM.

I agree. There is something wrong. Get it checked out.

Actually I'm usually a big inside out guy overall, but i struggle with my short irons. Pull it left a lot. Once I figure that out my 8 handicap should become a 1 or 2. I'm MUCH more comfortable at 195 yards than 110, because at 185 I'm 1 degree inside out

But unfortunately that's completely accurate. Usually with my wedge I aim about 10 yards right of the green lol. It works for me since I know my ball flight, but it's not ideal

I guess if you're consistent with it then it's not a big deal. The GC2's ball path and side spin readings should be able to help you.

I'm the opposite. I'm pretty accurate from 100 yards in. My problem is getting to that 100 yards out position. 195 yards out scares the crap out of me. Long par 3s kill me. I have a nice collection of hybrids and woods that I need to put on Ebay.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kball View Post
    Pro V1. My plan is to go to a place about 100 miles from my home that has Trackman units and do a comparison. It is a business that specializes in custom fitting - I even believe they have a few GC2 units on site. I probably won't be able to get up there for a week or so.

I need to stop "trying" to make the distance right - meaning I am finding I am swinging way too hard trying to get the distance to resemble what I experience on course. I just need to set the distance boost until I can get this issue resolved. I do think something is not right with my unit - as previously mention I get the software indicating one distance the GC2 unit indicating another distance - this is with the wait for spin mode enabled.

Hi Kball

Curiuos how your testing went this weekend. I hope everything worked out.

Your testing may help give other users ideas on how to compare.

Thanks.

Sorry for the lack of a response, but I need to assemble a comparison of the numbers. A few things I did learn. The ball speed between the GC2 and the Trackman were almost identical. The launch angle of the GC2 was consistently three degrees higher than the Trackman. Carry yardages were longer on tHe GC2 - say 5 to 8 yards with a 7 iron. I experienced longer carry yardages at the test which was in an enclosed bay that has a garage door that opens so you hit balls outside than I do in my basement. I ultimately left there more confused than when I arrived. . Left to right accuracy was difficult to compare as I struggled to get the GC2 aligned to the same target as the Trackman.

How were your wedge distances in comparison to the Trackman? Were you able to get any sense of left right accuracy?

Sorry to hear you are more confused. Couple questions to try to understand in an attempt to try to help...

1. did you first comfirm the trackman was configured correctly by going through the bag and confirming the distances are what you usually see on the course?
    - if the trackman confirmed your course distances then at least that device is baselined
    - if the trackman did not confirm you course distances then its tough to use that device to test the accuracy of another device
    - i am not familiar with trackman configurations but i don't think they are portable sit down and hit launch monitors???
    2. after baselining the trackman did you then cycle through the clubs in your bag hitting a single shot with both devices measuring the same shot?
    3. what measurements did you compare - ball speed, LA, carry, type of spin?
    - if LA was consistently 3 degrees higher for GC2 then you have a legitimate issue with foresight - their error tolerances on their website for LA are +/- 0.2 degrees; on the surface if its 3 degrees higher consistently it would explain i think the ball going higher and shorter maybe but you said it didn't during the test
    - their website also publishes error tolerances for back spin and side spin - if they are consistently out of range you have something for foresight
    4. what version of trackman?
    5. stupid questions on my part...
    a) did you stretch then warmup by hitting balls like a preround warmup before measuring shots - makes a huge difference compared to just going in and measuring the first 15 swings. It takes me quite a few swings to get my body loose and to get my swing speed to normal
    b) what balls did you use in the test relative to what you used in the basement? if you used range balls for the test some range balls are designed to go shorter and some are like rocks that go longer with less spin?
    6. was the gc2 unit sitting level with the surface with the ball?
    - they say level or up to 2" higher but not lower which causes reduced carries from bad measurements
    7. curious on relative temperature difference from outdoors and your basement (colder balls usually translates shorter and vice versa in general assuming same elevation)

When I had trouble with my first unit I was told that some people swing differently indoors. At first I was insulted but I can see the tigher the space feeling more restricted. Wasn't my case since I have the room. If its a basement do you have the full ceiling height to swing drivers freely? If it is on the tigher side we may not be realizing a slight cautioness of the swing which could explain shorter carries indoors??

Once you get your data maybe one of the members on the forum could find something in it that could explain?

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    6. was the gc2 unit sitting level with the surface with the ball?
    - they say level or up to 2" higher but not lower which causes reduced carries from bad measurements

Please tell me where you found this. I find my iron carries around 10 yards shorter than expected. I have a mat which has ball around 2" off floor. I put the GC2 on an old book maybe 3/4" think. This may be the cause.

In reference to the rest of the thread I took it to the range a few months ago and found the distance and angles pretty realistic. I walked out with a GPS after one shot and it was within a yard of calculated carry. The offline yardage was harder to tell since the software has you hitting onto a high-rolling fairway compared with the barely-mowed range grass I was hitting into. But the slices and hooks (that are my usual routine) were definitely headed in the correct directions.

had some big problems with short carriers with my first unit and went back and forth with foresight. they told me the unit needs to be at least even with the hitting surface and can be 1 but no more than 2 inches above. they said if its below the hitting surface then it can cause short carries.

Are you sure about that? At the golf galaxy I went to, the GC2 sits about 2" below the hitting surface and seems fine. Also my home unit sits 2" below the hitting surface and seems fine as well. I'll throw it on a book and compare, I'm curious. It doesn't say anything about that in the manual.

Unfortunately you know the issues I have been going through with foresight on my first unit. Like the screen I tried different combinations with the first unit. I just went back to check the one pager setup sheet and it is silent on elevation for sitting it down. Before it got escalated to one of the partners the sales person told me to test even with the surface and up to 1" but he said confirm its not below since they have had short carries reported when it is below. After all my testing and pictures and it got bumped to one of the partners he also said the same thing except he said the tolerance is 0" up to 2".

The one I tested before buying at golfsmith was set on the hitting mat.

The other thing you need to check is that the little hatch/bar in front after you open the device slides underneath and is used for the front legs. they said if you don't fold that hing under and use it as the front legs then the numbers can also be off.

Thread Information