100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Home Cinema Components with Golf Simulator Studio- HELP

Several of you are also using the golf room as a home theater. looking to see what type of equipment on the AV side you are using. i got the components for the sim and enclosure and ready to install. Just need advice on how to handle the A/V side.

Setting up a 7.1 surround sound similar to my first home theater room. Curious to know what people are doing with receivers, amps, and bluray players.

New computer has bluray burner/reader installed and tested that for movies.

Receiver I need to get one that has the new 3D pass through with enough power for speakers > 1000W-1300W total.

If i go this route I think I send everything to the receiver sound and video. GPU HDMI goes to the receiver. BlurRay player and disc changer goes to receiver along with internet for streaming netflix. Then receiver controls what is on the display and AV. receiver would go both the touch screen display and projector for sim purposes.

Maybe I can handle all this via the computer and bypass the receivers / amps but not sure how the computer can handle the power of all the speakers.

The reciever had nice options of selecting different surround sound options like THX, Dolby, etc along with different sound fields that are better geared toward different apps (like cinema movies, concert hall classical, etc).
    Unforutnately my yamaha receiver does not accept 3D so if I go this route need to replace so it would be nice how I can get the same quality out of leveraging the computer.

I am not an AV guy.

Any useful tips / suggestions are greatly appreciated. Trying to get equipment on site this wekeend for Tuesday install.

Kind Regards,

archv6625
    When sending the video signal to the receiver, I would go with a hybrid approach - use a touchscreen (or voice control) to interact with the sim and then clone the desktop on the screen by sending the output to the receiver as well.

As far as the receiver, don't worry about the advanced sound fields. All they do is distort the original signal so it sounds different by applying echo, delays, etc. As long as the receiver can decode the information you are sending it (and all modern receivers should be able to), you will be ok. As far as power, don't get hung up on watts. 10-20 CLEAN (and clean is they key) watts can drive a 7.1 system uncomfortably loud, assuming you have a powered subwoofer. If you are serious about audio quality, look for a receiver that has Audyssey or another similar speaker calibration tool built in. It will take measurements of your speaker system in room and adjust the frequency/phase of your speakers so that the frequency response is as flat as possible. Also, focus on weight. Almost all (there are some non Class A/B amps that break this rule) receivers that are heavier will have a stronger power transformer which means more clean power to your speakers and less distortion. The transformers need a lot of iron in them to do their job - without enough, they saturate and introduce distortion.

If your video card is able to deliver audio as well as video, I'd use that for the audio. Next in order of preference would be TOSLINK and/or SPDIF, and last would be a mini jack converted to RCA to feed your receiver.

Hope that helps.

7 Iron tahosrfr is on a distinguished road
    I myself kept it simple. I looked for a receiver that had lots of hdmi inputs, and at least one output for the projector. DVD what are those I use Apple TV or Xbox for streaming movies/video games. CPU has hdmi video output so it plugs into the receiver. Audio goes into separate input (good enuff). I purchased an Onkyo system that came with small satellite speakers and a sub. It's fine for home theater, although it wood never compare to my Klipsch system downstairs. I would only like to change to in wall or ceiling speakers at some point because they will produce better dynamics.
    Pretty easy to find reasonable priced pwerful thx/dolby receivers now days. Personally I think the 3D is gimmicky and not really important.

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone else looking for a new receiver / 7.1 system for their dual cinema / golf room below is what i got. so far very pleased with it.

I went with the Onkyo 7.1 S8409 system. Receiver 7.1 speakers with active subwoofer. Installed and very pleased with it. It usually goes for $1k USD but the amazon link below is selling it for $640. Great deal. You can also sign up for the free 2day shipping trial and then choose 1day deilvery upgrade for ~$2 then cancel the amazon free 2 day shipping trial within 30 days for no charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S8409.../dp/B005EP2HMU

For the front Left / Right tower speakers I built out a new wall 15" from my original wall around the screen. Then made cutouts in the plywood for the speakers then covered with a black painted wire mesh from home depot. Then applied carpet over the plywood and cut out the holes. Little touch up black spraypaint to black out any visible pad from the carpet. Works great. Lights down and 12 feet back you don't see them and the wire mesh protects the speakers from any golf balls and the sound still sounds great.

Front speaker mounted almost at screen height behind center screen and slanted down toward back of room. video taped back of screen and balls don't hit it.

Appreciate everyone's help earlier in helping me with my purchase.

Curious if you guys use IR repeaters with your setup so you can use the remotes but still have the equipment hidden.

thanks.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I use IR repeaters and a RF remote.
    If you want to go 3D with IR emitters you better use RF remotes as the IR emitters for the glasses can block all other IR functions.

Gap Wedge jackyl is on a distinguished road
    I have this one for a set of builtins I made for my living room to keep all the components in a cabinet, so the flat screen is the only electronic device you see:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJkBEPMCMAI

It works well, but I've found you need to put some extra tape on the emitters, as the adhesive they came with didn't last very long. No big deal, since you don't see the components anyway!

Thread Information