CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter davidskerr is on a distinguished road

Optishot Accuracy - Whats going on?

Hi,

I bought a new Optishot and have been trying it out. Have worked on the lighting setup so there should be no issues there.

Getting very slow swing speeds from the unit and the club head alignment also seems off.

Strange thing is that even with the slow swing speed the distances are nowhere near where they should be. Example, 7i hit at 70 mph goes 100 yards.

I can hit a 7i at the range around 140-150.

Any ideas on this? If the unit can't measure club head speed without needing to adjust a variable then I doubt it's overall usefulness.

Thanks,
    David.

bjllow8
    hi
    i had the same issues untill i taped the sole of the clubs with white electrical tape and turned the overhead light off and used a lamp over the sensor only. any shadows causes the system to play up
    brett

Pitching Wedge Nigel_37 is on a distinguished road
    Are you hitting a real ball with the foam or no ball setting? That would definitely produce a slower speed. (or do I have that backwards ??? normally I'd blame that on it being too early, but it's darn near 5pm!).

Anyways, make sure the ball selection is correct. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by davidskerr View Post
    Hi,

I bought a new Optishot and have been trying it out. Have worked on the lighting setup so there should be no issues there.

Getting very slow swing speeds from the unit and the club head alignment also seems off.

Strange thing is that even with the slow swing speed the distances are nowhere near where they should be. Example, 7i hit at 70 mph goes 100 yards.

I can hit a 7i at the range around 140-150.

Any ideas on this? If the unit can't measure club head speed without needing to adjust a variable then I doubt it's overall usefulness.

Thanks,
    David.

Putter j12racer is on a distinguished road
    any other input or results on this problem?? i am having the same exact problem. thanks guys

Gap Wedge jackhawk is on a distinguished road
    I had to manually increase the clubhead speed to 115% to get my speed and distance correct. If you know your clubhead speed, adjust it by the correct % and see if that works. If you don't know your clubhead speed, manually put in the increased distance (e.g. if the optishot says you hit a correctly hit 9 iron 100 yards and you normally hit it 130 yards, increase the distance by 130% under clubset data - will have to make a custom clubset I believe).

Putter j12racer is on a distinguished road
    thanks for the info. i put white electrical tape and its perfect except for my driver. driver reads good mostly but every now and then reads 132 mph swing speed.

Andisblue
    I just got an optishot. Tried putting first (since I was in small office room), seemed very consistent.

Tried some iron shots, seemed consistent enough, distance was a little low.

Driver.. geez, hooking and slicing all over the place (which I DO a lot IRL). I still thought it was cheating me though.

I took the optishot to an actual golf range with a laptop. The sun had already gone down, and I tested under a shelter in the shade. Very inconsistent. I hit a hard hook and it read it as a hard slice. Face angle was all over the place. My driver swing speed SEEMed consistently scaled as my effort changed, maxing at 137mph (not saying this is accurate). I was hoping the face angle would be the most accurate part of this sim, but it ruined most of my shots.

I tried iron shots as well, and the sim was hooking/slicing while i was hitting them fairly straight. I'm already a bad enough golfer without a sim making me feel worse

Maybe I'll try the tape thing, but its already got a refund authorization from Amazon.
    Last edited by Andisblue; 02-27-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: update

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    This is exactly what I would expect with no ball measurement and limited reflective technology accuracy.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I would expect driver inconsistency, as I and many others have experienced. Distance was excellent but ball path was all over the place. I would also expect your results on the range even if you were out of the sun.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    Your results aren't surprising given Optishot themselves don't recommend using outdoors. Having said that, I've taken my Optishot/laptop to the range with what seems like much better results (but still far from perfect).

You might want to use the Optishot properly and then base your return decisions on those tests (not an unsupported mode like outdoor range behaviour).

But it may not work for you even when used properly. You sound like a bit of a wild swinger and I've noticed the Optishot has more trouble with that. Better sims exist...but they come with a BIG price jump!

Putter duckseatfree is on a distinguished road
    What do the results look like when you swing slow? Try doing 1/4 swings with the club face open/closed/etc. It might give you a better representation of what you are doing and what the optishot is doing.

As far as the swing speeds, I was getting the same thing. I just went in and increased the speed to 110%. seems to work about 95% of the time for me now.

bab
    Ball-flight laws seems to be pretty messed up in the Optishot simulator, this shouldn't be possible. The ball cannot start left of the target with that club face angle:

Optishot nor P3pro don't even come close to the ball flight laws. I agree with you that the stats above are not possible. They don't measure the ball so they are only reallying on the club data. Protee does follow the new ball flight laws.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    I would think that an outside to in swing path would start the ball left of target and with the open face it should slice big time. Depending on how much out to in though. Not sure if it tells you that info. On its own an out to in should slice even with a square face.

According to the new ball flight laws, the initial ball direction is more dependent on the face angle than the path. I would expect the ball to start right and slice with that shot above. It would have to be big time outside in to have it start left. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnq6TiXw7wU and http://www.trackman.dk/download/news...ewsletter7.pdf

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Good link bubba, just when I thought I had golf figured out....

Yes its really nice and well explained. It totally makes sense. Try really opening your putter and swing outside in slice path. The ball will go to the right.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Oh the number of arguments I've had with people on the golf course about the new ball flight laws. The less loft you take, the more obvious it gets. The putter being a great example. Trackman has indeed offered the science behind the golf swing, although physics has always been there, we've just ignored it.

Putter duckseatfree is on a distinguished road
    I did a quick optishot test yesterday and tried it outside. For me, it makes a big difference in readings when its outside vs inside. Inside, i get great readings about 90% of the time being correct. Outside is a different story. I went outside around 7:30 when the sun was pretty much down and there was limited sunlight and was getting more erratic readings...mainly for the swing speeds, more non-reads, and everyonce in a while the clubface angle was wayy off (this only happened 2 out of 25 swings).

To me it seems that even when the sun is going down, there is still too much interference to get good readings. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for those of you who have taken the optishot out to the driving range.

Putter darylsutor is on a distinguished road

Yes it can.

The ball flight can absolutely start that way if you come in severely outside to inside with your swing. What optishot isn't showing you is the path your club took, only a snapshot at striking point. If it showed your striking path, i would wager your path is not a straight line that you see in your photo. Dissect what you see. This is how you can create a severe useful slice to get around objects.

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    Ball-flight laws seems to be pretty messed up in the Optishot simulator, this shouldn't be possible. The ball cannot start left of the target with that club face angle:

Thread Information