100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron LoisDNominator is on a distinguished road

Android Golf GPS App

I have a new LG Android phone, and have started looking at getting a Golf GPS app for it. The Android Market lists quite a few. Does anyone have any experience good, bad or otherwise with these aps. Thanks,

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Check out Skydroid, very good app, most Ottawa courses are mapped. It uses Google maps to map and you can do your own, very easy and fun. Only $1.99 cents. Lots of features. It does not use any levels so fine for use on the couse.

http://www.skydroid.net/
    Last edited by leftylucas; 11-23-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I moved the posts discussing whether such apps would be permitted under the rules of golf, which is a separate discussion from this thread, to the rules forum. http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...martphone-apps

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks for letting us know Dave
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    That App looks amazing, now all I need to do is get an Android phone.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

I now have the Android phone, I have Skydroid installed and tried it at Stonebridge today and it did not work very well.
    I started using it on the 5th hole and after I got to my drive it said 768 to the front. But I am not sure what 768 units it was trying to tell me.
    Help!?!?!

2 Iron scanner_66 is on a distinguished road scanner_66's Avatar
    I liked golfpad prior to getting my skycaddy

I just installed Golfpad, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    I now have the Android phone, I have Skydroid installed and tried it at Stonebridge today and it did not work very well.
    I started using it on the 5th hole and after I got to my drive it said 768 to the front. But I am not sure what 768 units it was trying to tell me.
    Help!?!?!
    The developer just emailed me, I might have had a bad GPS connection.

Putter Downtown is on a distinguished road
    Haven't heard of golfpad, looks like I'll have to give it a try too... I've used FreeCaddie and Golf Logix. I've used Freecaddie with my WinCE device and found it a great little app. Lots of mapped courses and very easy to use.

Golf Logix has more features and is good for score tracking. Good course selection and the only issues I've had with it is that the GPS doesn't like the assisted GPS/google maps settings. I have to disable the localization feature prior to starting the app. It also requires a data connection so if that is an issue then it won't be suitable. Also battery use was high on golf logix. I shutoff the screen between shots to conserve it though.

Between the two, I've been trying to use Golf logix more. This summer at Tremblant Freecaddie didn't have La Belle mapped but golf logix did.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    There's one called Swing by Swing. A few of my friends use it. It's got a lot of good features in it, but when carrying a SkyCaddie alongside the phone, they give you two different yardages. I've found that to be the same with EVERY Android golf gps application I have tried. I don't think the GPS system in the phones are accurate enough to give you exact yardage. They were off by 10 yards most times, which is a big deal in golf.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    oobgolf.com

There is a number of us who use it. Their latest Android version has a small bug but it is not a deal breaker.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    oobgolf.com

There is a number of us who use it. Their latest Android version has a small bug but it is not a deal breaker.

Do you find it to be accurate? I notice some navigation software will tell you that it is accurate within 10 metres....10 metres off is a big difference on the golf course....

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Phone GPS units are not as accurate as dedicated units like Skycaddie. It's the GPS reciever, not the software used that makes the difference. 10 meters is close enough for driving or sightseeing on foot, but not for golf.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Phone GPS units are not as accurate as dedicated units like Skycaddie. 10 meters is close enough for driving or sightseeing on foot, but not for golf.
    Agreed 100%.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You can get a 32 channel bluetooth GPS reciever ($50ish) and pair it to your phone, then put it in your golf bag or pocket and it will give accurate yardages - to that reciever's location. Better than the phone's built in reciever, and cheeper than buying a Skycaddie, but still a compromise. Plus you have to charge the reciever too, but it will last several rounds and saves your phone battery from the drain of the built in GPS. I did that before I got my skycaddie and it woked very well for a budget solution.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I'm still using the Golfshot app , and have been for a couple of years .Its pretty accurate ,within a couple of yards of Skycaddie and similar devices . Only thing is , you've got to turn it on about 25 secs before you hit your shot in order for the Gps to lock in.
    About $30 in the app store
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Help!?!?!
    Ok I was at Stonebridge today and this was purely user error. The 768 yards to the green was because I was on the 5th hole and Skydroid was showing the 4th hole on my screen. My bad. I forgot to click 'Next Hole" when I got to the 5th tee box.
    I used Skydroid today at Stonebridge and I was quite happy. GPS said it was accurate within 5 yards, considering how windy it was and being at $1.99 app I was quite pleased with it.

I really like Skydroid and if you do find an error you can go on the site and re-map that particular hole
    Lefty Lucas

I think I was the error.

I am going to try Golfpad on the weekend as well and see how it is compared to Skydroid.

Thread Information