CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tucson

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar

Tucson

Back from Tucson last night from a 1 week vacation . We had a great time and for me it was way in front of what i was expecting. Beautifull scenic holes, top conditions and perfect wheater. We got there last sunday and we were having a day off monday before starting on package tuesday so had the itch to play and we went at Del Ulrcih which is part of a 36 holes municipal complex. The other 18 is Randolph North. At 29$ Del Ulrich is a great warm up course. It was in top shape with wide fairways and big immaculate greens. I shot 79 from the blues ( 6633 yds) so that was a good start. Tuesday Randolph North was ready for us and again in great condition , the course had more elevations but very nice. Played 81 from the back tees( 6863 yds) . Wednesday we were playing in the Green Valley which is about 70 kms form Tucson with a round at The San Ignacio. San Ignacio is a good course with lots of elevation changes and good conditions , greens a bit rough but very fast. I shot 84 from the back at 6704 .....Hit it straight, its a target and desert course as they were saying . Thursday was Canoa Hills which is again in the Green Valley ( San Ignacio's sister course)Tough course, narrow again at 6610 yds with lush playing conditions . Landing areas on each hole tend to be narrow, but the greens are generous in size. Canoa is known for being kept in tournament condition year-round . Shot an 82 Friday was Quarry Pines near Tucson . All i can say is ''WOW'' I've never seen a course like that. It is mix of dramatic elevation changes and stunning mountain views . The first nine is more of a regular course but the back.........OMG ! build from an old abandoned sand and gravel quarry that was amazing . Calendar golf course style. The pictures i posted were taken from there. I shot 81 with a triple and quadruple bogey from the back tees at 6854 yds and believe me it was the game of the year for me . Par 3's from 200 yds to 225 with no margin of error, a par 5 of 574 yds going up along the quarry and more . What a course! And finally we finished at Arizona National ( home of the U of A Wildcats) and where the likes of Jim Furyk, Ricky Barnes, Annika Sorenstam , Nathalie Gulbis, Don Pooley and more other stars played before. Great course, free range , top service and a huge clubhouse. Played my worst round with an 87 from 6500 yds. Greens were very fast and conditions perfect. We loved our stay and planning to go back . Lots of wildlife, we had a bobcat in our condo yard, lots of road runners, coyotes and tons of rabbits. I found a small scorpio at the condo door one night and a very small lezard by the living room window but it is normal there as they told us. Great vacation.
    Last edited by strong49; 11-21-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Played Ventana, La Canadian?, and another in Tucson a few years ago. Also travelled north to Sedona.

Arizona golf is just decadent. Green fairways in the desert is just visually stunning.

Might try Pheonix next time but it seems to have a big city pollution haze (and more sandstorms) that Tucson doesn't.

When I went, the flights were such that we left Ottawa at 6AM EST and were on a golf course in Tucson by 12PM Tuscon Time.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Dust storms are known locally as Haboob's and you're right about the haze, 1.5 million people and lots of cars. I've never experienced any issues with the smog, as it exists in every major city. I haven't tried Tuscon, but the golf in the Phoenix and area is superb. The advantage for me to stay in Scottsdale is the pro sports. No basketball this fall, but NFL and NHL was on my list of things to do this past trip. The Diamondbacks made the playoffs, but their season ended well before my trip started.

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    SteveK, if you have questions about Phoenix/Scottsdale golf, send me a PM. I have a place in Carefree, AZ which is 10 mins north of Scottsdale - the golf is amazing. I'm heading there in a couple of weeks and am going to stay for a month. Depending on the time of year you go, the courses can be dirt cheap, the high season is more expensive of course, but golfnow.com helps you find great deals on tee times.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    TPC Scottsdale Champions Course was $69 before taxes on Golfnow and $136 regular price for ealry November.

Thread Information