CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Laptop??? Notebook??

Guys, my sons new Macbook laptop was stolen last week at his College. I am trying to get an old notebook up and running but it is not going well. I need to get a new notebook harddrive.
    I was wondering if anyone in OttawaGolf would have an old laptop SATA harddrive or an old notebook laptop they want to donate or sell for a low price to a good cause?
    I sadly, just can't afford to buy another Macbook any time soon.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

After 5 straight days I finally defeated the viri and my sons notebook is finally up and running again totally viri free. Unbelievable!
    Thanks for viewing this post.
    I think we are going to be ok now.

This story gets stranger and stranger every week.
    My son got an email today from a girl at his college. She found his Macbook laptop and wants to return it.
    Apparently she picked it up off the table by accident and now wants to return it.
    Sounds a little weird but all the kids in college these days are walking around with laptops inside laptop bags and laptop cases. It is possible to have similar or the same laptop case or bag and walk away with someones laptop.
    We will see when the laptop returns if there is more to this story.
    Sad I am so skeptical at this point, I should just be happy for my son.

Well the girl with the laptop disapeared, but then my son got am email from a guy that was asked by the girl to wipe the macbook drive.
    So turns out the guy didn't want to burn my son and emails him and tells him he can come pick up his laptop and wants to return it even thought it turns out the girl had stolen the laptop.
    Long story short; my son got his brand new macbook back and all is well.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Good news! Gladly one of them wasn't a criminal.

Pitching Wedge kemcheca is on a distinguished road
    Could have been an innocent mistake or maybe theft remorse or they know the iCloud FMM Find my mac feature was enabled!

You might be interested in the prey software

http://lifehacker.com/5838440/how-i-...urs-using-prey

For quite some time, Apple has given iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad owners a way to mitigate this risk by offering them a free app that can locate a lost or stolen device and, if it can’t be retrieved, wipe it of its contents remotely. Now, with the introduction of its iCloud service, Apple has brought this capability to its computers with a feature called Find My Mac.

It’s especially worth activating on a laptop that you often take on the road, since such things are misplaced at an alarming rate — a 2008 study of 106 airports in the United States by research firm Ponemon Institute found that travelers lost more than 12,200 laptops a week — and they may contain enormous amounts of valuable information.

The main purpose of iCloud is to make all your content available to you on all your devices by storing it in Apple data centers, where it is accessible to each device. (Apple provides security for your data by encrypting it while it’s traveling over the Internet and sitting in storage.) But by giving Apple this sort of access to your Mac, a find-and-wipe feature becomes possible. It can locate your Mac when it’s on and connected to the Internet, cause it to play a sound or display a message to whoever found it or lock the machine or erase all of its contents.

To take advantage of this feature, you will have to turn it on. This is simple. Just make sure the box for enabling Find My Mac is checked when you set up iCloud (or you can go to System Preferences, select iCloud and then enable it there). Note that iCloud requires the use of Lion, the latest version of the Mac operating system. And using Find My Mac means you have to allow Apple to access your Mac’s location, something you might not want to do if you (and not just your Mac) are on the run.

You may also want to give Apple the power to jolt your Mac from sleep when you want to find or wipe it. Choose this setting by going to System Preferences and clicking iCloud or Energy Saver and checking the box for “wake for network access.”

If your laptop goes missing, you simply visit the icloud.com Web site and sign in with your Apple ID and password. If your Mac is on and online, you will be able to see its location on a Google map. The site will also show you where your iPhone and iPad are if you have installed Find apps on them. Click on the circle with an “i” inside to open a box, and choose it to make a sound go off, display message, lock it or wipe it.

It’s the kind of feature you hope you never have to use, but are awfully glad you took the time to set up in that terrible moment when you realize that your laptop has gone missing and may be gone for good.

More detail video on iCloud- Find my mac

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-a...loud-50004954/

That feature was installed and enabled but the people that had the laptop did not turn it on.

Thread Information