100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question Custom vs Off the Rack

Currently own a full set of Taylormade RAC OS clubs+TM R7 1,3,5+TM Mid Rescue 3,5 (2005). At the time they were "customized" after a fitting, but that was really only length set up based on my height and some trial and error at the range with a pro (OAC/T&L). I am thinking of getting a new set and I'm considering getting a custom set built for me so I have a lot of questions. Is there an advantage to getting custom clubs i.e. cost and fit? I am about an 18 handicap and play about 2 times a week. With the custom clubs I'm thinking that I could get the loft and lie set more in line with my swing. I hit a very high ball so perhaps get the clubs de-lofted a bit to gain a little more distance, and get the best shafts for my swing speed. Thoughts? Thanks.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Customized clubs will help for more than just length and lie. I f you visit a proper fitter they will fit you for the proper shaft also. There are many different shafts out there that can influence your ball flight. For someone who hits it high the proper shaft will provide you with a more penetrating proper launch angle for example.

Go see a proper fitter. Custom clubs are generally the same price as off the shelf ones and the 80 to 100 for a proper fitting is well worth it IMO

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    That was a typical OEM fitting you had in 05 and not much has changed . You got a measurment, not a fitting. This #$%ss me off to no end! Because it's a name brand, the average high capper believes he is getting the best for him, when in reality, he is beeing sold a product name.

I have been in the bizz for over 17 yrs. and reconstucted loads of ill fitted OEM's. I owe so wish golfers would understand the time and effort that a pro clubmaker puts in to achieve the optimum product for his customer. A true pro style custom fitting is an event that will open up a whole new perspective to you game. It's a lenghty process, and it should be if you want to get it right.

I read an article in a local golf publication the other day where the clubfitter stated that it took an hour or maybee a little longer to do a fitting. This guy must be a magician, or a very good salesperson. It takes time to get it right, it's ilogical to think otherwise.

You have to be on a launch monitor, not a simulator, plain and simple. The monitor is not only for drivers. It provides valuable data for all of the clubs.

Don't expect to have a new set of sticks in 3 to 5 days if you are going to go the distance in the process. But do expect to pay for the time and devotion to quality craftmanship.

Always remember, the large majority of quality clubheads are built in China, regardless of the name on them.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    It depends how off your current set it compared to your optimum specs. If they are fitted for the right length and lie angles you might not see a lot of difference unless the shafts are completely wrong. I'm a big fan of fitting and have a lot of respect for what a pro fitter can do but I think the avg high capper thinks it will cure all of their problems and turn them into a single digit type player. Lessons would probably be better unless your current setup is totally wrong. Go see someone like downhillslider or Don at Artsian golf, they can let you know where your current set is at. You might need anything.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Interesting story from today's round on the importance of getting fit.

Played with a guy who was generally making pretty solid contact but was hitting very high, spinny, moonballs with his R11 all day. His drives sounded solid but looked like a 9i in the air. His R11 was marked 10.5* and he said he had it set 1* lower.

Finally on the 18th hole I had him hit my driver after he hit his. Mine is a 9.75* (measured) on an NVS. When he hit mine it went on a MUCH better trajectory and actually rolled out.

When he got to his original ball he said that it (the one with his driver) was one of his more solid tee shots of the day. The ball he hit with my driver was a good 30 yards past his original tee shot. He couldn't get over the difference. I've never witnessed a difference that dramatic first hand but I knew from watching his ball flight with his driver that his launch conditions were terrible.

Moral of the story, get yourself fitted.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, those Taylor Made drivers really sound good don't they ! To bad audio feedback has nothing to do with performance and the last time I checked, the sound of the ball coming of the face is not a major or minor fitting parameter to be considered.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    With the custom clubs I'm thinking that I could get the loft and lie set more in line with my swing. I hit a very high ball so perhaps get the clubs de-lofted a bit to gain a little more distance, and get the best shafts for my swing speed. Thoughts? Thanks.
    By all means get properly fit and the two names previously mentioned will do an excellent professional job of building a set that suits your tendencies.

A lot of the OEM products are good but they are assembled more towards a typically "average" person. Having a set built or an OEM set rebuilt to your own particular physical and swing characteristics, will eliminate the weaknesses of an off the shelf set. Iron heads, such as those distributed by Wishon or KZG, for example, are every bit as good as the name brand heads found in retail shots. Go custom fit!!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Lightbulb Options

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    By all means get properly fit and the two names previously mentioned will do an excellent professional job of building a set that suits your tendencies.

A lot of the OEM products are good but they are assembled more towards a typically "average" person. Having a set built or an OEM set rebuilt to your own particular physical and swing characteristics, will eliminate the weaknesses of an off the shelf set. Iron heads, such as those distributed by Wishon or KZG, for example, are every bit as good as the name brand heads found in retail shots. Go custom fit!!
    I never thought of having my current set "fit",or in my case re-fit, for me. Interesting option. May pursue this sooner than I planned as I was considering new clubs and that won't be for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I never thought of having my current set "fit",or in my case re-fit, for me. Interesting option. May pursue this sooner than I planned as I was considering new clubs and that won't be for at least a year.
    Since I MOI match clubs for myself, the big advantage of Wishon heads is that they have a weight port drilled into the lower part of the hosel of the irons and some woods/hybrids have an additional weight port in the head itself. Makes tweaking a breeze.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Since I MOI match clubs for myself, the big advantage of Wishon heads is that they have a weight port drilled into the lower part of the hosel of the irons and some woods/hybrids have an additional weight port in the head itself. Makes tweaking a breeze.
    Is your putter MOI matched? The most important club in the bag and the least looked at.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I watched a video on Revolution Golf with Bronson Wright of the club fix. He showed how much an OEM driver head can vary in loft right from the factory. It is crazy, so one must get fitted correctly then make sure the lie and loft are also right on once you get the clubs from the OEM, otherwise, disaster.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Is your putter MOI matched? The most important club in the bag and the least looked at.
    MOI matched to what?

Thread Information