CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    bjllow8

can you set up a video camera to work with the optishot

hi all
    can a video camera be set up with the optishot in some way (with swing software)to be used for swing analysis. or has anyone done this already
    cheers
    brett

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bjllow8 View Post
    hi all
    can a video camera be set up with the optishot in some way (with swing software)to be used for swing analysis. or has anyone done this already
    cheers
    brett
    How about other sims as well - perhaps using a split screen along with swing analysis software. That way one could not only track the shot but also review the swing in detail. If not, has anyone considered utilizing a 2nd computer for swing analysis with software along the lines of the V1 Golf Home software?

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road

video swing analysis software tied to any sim for that matter

There must be someone out there that ties video analysis software to their swing, even if it is via a 2nd computer --- or would people rather not see what their swing actually looks like. I personally think it would be a great tie in. Any thoughts on software for it and ways to do it in conjunction with a simulator?

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    I run my sim software and also run cswing golf analysis software at the same time on a separate monitor. Cswing has a “live mode” with microphone sound impact trigger that automatically captures and replays my swing after each shot. You can set how many times it replays and at what speed.

Belive v1 can replay a swing - but I know cswing has a configurable number of swing replays which is great for the sim because I hit the shot and watch the shot on the impact screen and then look over at my monitor and watch my swing replay 5 times. One replay is not enough for me.

Cswing runs on firewire DV type cameras- does not support USB without some kind of bridge, I believe. Cswing has a good section on their site about hardware.

It’s a great tool –

7 Iron readygolf is on a distinguished road
    Last edited by readygolf; 02-23-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    The problem with the P3pro video analysis is the 30 fps limit in the software. They need to adjust that to allow for a higher frame rate. The idea is good by P3pro but the low frame rate is not great especially given the fact that ther are plenty of highe than 30 fps cameras available.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanjoe View Post
    There must be someone out there that ties video analysis software to their swing, even if it is via a 2nd computer --- or would people rather not see what their swing actually looks like. I personally think it would be a great tie in. Any thoughts on software for it and ways to do it in conjunction with a simulator?
    It's a great idea. You'll improve your swing more with slow motion video camera setup than with a simulator IMHO. But both together would be killer.

I spent sometime trying to find decent video software. My criteria was:
    - Sound activated with automatic replay (so it isn't just rolling indefinitely)
    - two cameras (for side and back views on same shot)
    - Support cheap high speed cameras such as PS3eye (you see a lot more at 125fps than at 30fps)
    - can play back in slow motion, freeze frame etc

I didn't find anything. In fact I was amazed at how bad the software was and how much they wanted for what I consider basic functionality.

In the end I use a program some guy hacked together a few years ago (eyegolf). Unfortunately he never finished it for some reason but it works, is sound activated and supports the PS3eye camera's higher frame rates. I use it with the DD swing analysis program and the camera window side by side on the same computer.

Readygolf: How does the P3pro software trigger recording and does it do automatic replay? What about slow motion and support for cheap high speed cameras like the Ps3eye?

EDIT: Just saw Bubba's post where he covered the P3pro frame rate question. Pity. Does it even support the PS3eye at all?

Last edited by readygolf; 02-23-2012 at 07:46 AM.

If you have ever studied your swing on a high speed camera with a fast frame rate and then go back to the standard 30fps you will notice a massive difference ready golf. There are free programs on the net that allow for variable frame rate programs to work. The P3pro video program is just ok in my mind as there better options out there.

Once again the software for P3pro video will only support maximum 30 fps so you will not get the advantage of the higher frame rate with the PS3eye or any camera greater than 30fps which is their default.

Quote Originally Posted by readygolf View Post
    ...In my opinion the 30fps is quite sufficient....
    I used to use my old camcorder (Hi-8) which only recorded at 30fps but could also separately change the shutter speed up to 1/1000 second. I typically shot at 1/500 second. I agree it wasn't bad, but once I started using my wifes P&S which records up to 240 fps I've never gone back. You see *way* more using the higher frame rates, even at 125fps.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyClubs View Post
    I used to use my old camcorder (Hi-8) which only recorded at 30fps but could also separately change the shutter speed up to 1/1000 second. I typically shot at 1/500 second. I agree it wasn't bad, but once I started using my wifes P&S which records up to 240 fps I've never gone back. You see *way* more using the higher frame rates, even at 125fps.

I completely agree with you Faultyclubs!!!!!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Waste of time....

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    get a Casio Ex FC200s

Last edited by readygolf; 02-23-2012 at 07:45 AM.

it is a stand alone golf camera with hdmi output. Only camera under $500US that does 240 fps high speed that I know of. I got it from japan for $430US but I think it is available in the US now.

http://gadget1.9square.net/casio-exi...digital-camera

bought a monopod off ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HORUS...item3cbf5ad335

easy use and gives a 10 sec delay if you are recording self

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    it is a stand alone golf camera with hdmi output. Only camera under $500US that does 240 fps high speed that I know of....
    Eh? Lot's of Canon (and Nikon) point and shoot cameras have 240 and 120 FPS these days. I'm using my wife's cheap Digital ELPH for example. I think it cost her $100.

would not go below 240fps for a golf swing and the casio is 512*384 pixels.
    All the rest at best I can see are 320*240 at 240fps.

True but they *are* 240 fps and quite usable (320x240 is VHS quality).

Anything less than 1000 fps at HD quality is some sort of compromise. Even 120 fps is a big improvement over 30 fps.

Anyway, wasn't saying the Casio isn't better was just pointing out it is no longer the only game in town. Everyday point and shoots have entered the high speed race, and they will only get better in time.

that said I plan to use the playstation eye at 120fps 324*240 for my sim setup as it is USB.
    the casio would require a video card with hdmi in to capture it. next project.

Thread Information