CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Project X Shaft Chart?

See attached Project X shaft chart from pxshaft.com.
    All you guys that play Project X iron shafts and all you club makers, do you feel the shaft chart from Project X is a true indication of the shaft flex for their product?
    Project X Shaft Chart.jpg
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've never seen the Flighted listed as a half flex softer than the regular before. The original concept of the flighted clubs (back before TrueTemper bought the Rifle stuff) was that the shorter irons were the same as the non-flighted but the longer irons were softer/higher flying.

The chart for the regular irons is pretty much the accepted standard but simple flex designations like "S" or "S+" really don't mean anything.

The PX has a very different feel than a DG. Some people hate the PX because it feels too stiff/boardy and like the DG. Other people are the exact opposite. This is for clubs that are both designated as "S" or whatever.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

2Low4U
    100% Accurate. All about the feel and what type of performance you're looking for in your shafts.

Putter Gooder is on a distinguished road

PX Shafts

Hi 68'er

"do you feel the shaft chart from Project X is a true indication of the shaft flex for their product?"

As a clubmaker - I have found inconsistencies with the PX shafts (since TT took them over). They are basing the number (IE 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, etc.) on frequency, but many times I have measured these shafts and found inconsistencies with the frequency slopes. When looking for a 4.3 CPM differential per half-inch of length on a rifle shaft, I have seen quite a variance from that (high and low at a given length) when measuring shafts, or a set of a customer's off-the-rack clubs. The old pre-True Temper shafts were VERY consistent when measured, I believe the quality control since TT took them over has diminished substantially. The old shafts would consistently measure 17 CPM higher (butt flex) with a 5-inch frequency clamp, this is because they were originally based on using a 2.5-inch clamp, but the difference was ALWAYS 17 CPM. Since TT acquired them, the shaft to shaft consistency has kinda gone down the toilet - for the sets that I have measured anyway - some shafts measure higher CPM than they should, and others measure lower. To a fitter/builder that builds by frequency, this is unacceptable. A quick story - I had a customer who wanted me to re-shaft his existing irons with some special (TT version) PX shafts that he got "a deal" on from eBay. When he dropped them off at my shop, I brought out the frequency analyzer while he was still there. I showed him how inconsistent they were from shaft to shaft (some were high [too stiff for the designation], and some were low [soft]). Then I pulled out a brand-new set of the old pre-True Temper PX shafts that I have and showed him the difference comparing the old 5-iron shaft to the new TT version 5-iron shaft. The "old" ones showed a predictable and consistent shaft to shaft CPM increase and measured exactly 17 CPM higher (remember 5" clamp) than the designation. The "new" ones were all over the map - I told him I would not build a set with his "special deal" shafts. I'm glad he was there to witness the difference

I can understand the flighted sets being listed as a half flex softer - this is because of the softer tip (they would be more of a butt-stiff, tip soft[er] shaft). I've noticed this same phenomenon when working with the KBS Tour PARALLEL tip shafts - the tip section is a bit softer, and many times we end up going with a bit stiffer butt-flex CPM than what would normally be required for a given golfer's swing speed/tempo/release, with very good results.

As far as the letters go - Jvincent is correct, they are pretty much meaningless - I've seen one brand's "R" be the equivalent of another brand's "X" and at the same time be the equivalent of another brand's "L" or "A". There is NO STANDARD in the golf industry with regards to shaft flex (shame on them all), this is one reason that building to frequency is leaps and bounds superior. Every club I build is assembled to the desired ideal frequency and slope for a particular golfer (this is determined through a very detailed fitting process). I don't own a tip-trimming chart, nor would I use one if I had - the only way to build a truly frequency matched set of clubs is to build each and every club to the desired frequency. It takes a little more time compared to using a tip-trim chart, but as far as I'm concerned you end up with a much better and more consistent final product - a superior product.

Sorry for babblin' - just thought I'd throw my humble $.02 into the mix.

Regards,

Bert

(AGCP certified & qualified clubfitter)
    www.goodergolf.com

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I had always heard anecdotal comments that the TT version of the PX was different than the original satin finish rifles. Interesting to hear your first hand comments.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooder View Post
    Hi 68'er

"do you feel the shaft chart from Project X is a true indication of the shaft flex for their product?"

As a clubmaker - I have found inconsistencies with the PX shafts (since TT took them over). They are basing the number (IE 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, etc.) on frequency, but many times I have measured these shafts and found inconsistencies with the frequency slopes. When looking for a 4.3 CPM differential per half-inch of length on a rifle shaft, I have seen quite a variance from that (high and low at a given length) when measuring shafts, or a set of a customer's off-the-rack clubs. The old pre-True Temper shafts were VERY consistent when measured, I believe the quality control since TT took them over has diminished substantially. The old shafts would consistently measure 17 CPM higher (butt flex) with a 5-inch frequency clamp, this is because they were originally based on using a 2.5-inch clamp, but the difference was ALWAYS 17 CPM. Since TT acquired them, the shaft to shaft consistency has kinda gone down the toilet - for the sets that I have measured anyway - some shafts measure higher CPM than they should, and others measure lower. To a fitter/builder that builds by frequency, this is unacceptable. A quick story - I had a customer who wanted me to re-shaft his existing irons with some special (TT version) PX shafts that he got "a deal" on from eBay. When he dropped them off at my shop, I brought out the frequency analyzer while he was still there. I showed him how inconsistent they were from shaft to shaft (some were high [too stiff for the designation], and some were low [soft]). Then I pulled out a brand-new set of the old pre-True Temper PX shafts that I have and showed him the difference comparing the old 5-iron shaft to the new TT version 5-iron shaft. The "old" ones showed a predictable and consistent shaft to shaft CPM increase and measured exactly 17 CPM higher (remember 5" clamp) than the designation. The "new" ones were all over the map - I told him I would not build a set with his "special deal" shafts. I'm glad he was there to witness the difference

I can understand the flighted sets being listed as a half flex softer - this is because of the softer tip (they would be more of a butt-stiff, tip soft[er] shaft). I've noticed this same phenomenon when working with the KBS Tour PARALLEL tip shafts - the tip section is a bit softer, and many times we end up going with a bit stiffer butt-flex CPM than what would normally be required for a given golfer's swing speed/tempo/release, with very good results.

As far as the letters go - Jvincent is correct, they are pretty much meaningless - I've seen one brand's "R" be the equivalent of another brand's "X" and at the same time be the equivalent of another brand's "L" or "A". There is NO STANDARD in the golf industry with regards to shaft flex (shame on them all), this is one reason that building to frequency is leaps and bounds superior. Every club I build is assembled to the desired ideal frequency and slope for a particular golfer (this is determined through a very detailed fitting process). I don't own a tip-trimming chart, nor would I use one if I had - the only way to build a truly frequency matched set of clubs is to build each and every club to the desired frequency. It takes a little more time compared to using a tip-trim chart, but as far as I'm concerned you end up with a much better and more consistent final product - a superior product.

Sorry for babblin' - just thought I'd throw my humble $.02 into the mix.

Regards,

Bert

(AGCP certified & qualified clubfitter)
    www.goodergolf.com
    PX's are not to be compared with the Rifle model. PX's ARE NOT frequency matched, Rifle's are. You will not get a 4 to 5 cpm increment with a set of PX's. They were not designed that way. It's a totally different animal.

The # designation of the shaft is what it is based on a specific lenght and head weight and swingweight for a 5 iron from the manufacturer. When you take, for example, a PX 5.0 and asemble a 5 iron head weighing 254 gr. at a lenght of 38 " and a swingweight of D1, ( somewhat OEM standard ) there is no way that club will come it at 5.0. More likely in the 5.6 range.

These shafts are for the accomplished golfer.

Thread Information