CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Golf Travel Bag / Protective Case

I have a couple of golf trips coming up in the next few months and I was wondering what people here use for protecting their clubs during airline travel?

I've been leaning towards one of the nearly indestructible hard protective cases that you just put your existing golf bag into. I guess the disadvantage of that is that those cases can be pretty big and may be difficult to get into some rental cars.

The other option is to buy a whole new bag that is designed for travel. From what I can tell, these ones are quite a bit tougher than your standard bag and really are designed to be carried by a golf cart on the course.

Anyway... any recommendations?
    MJF

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    I just came back from Hawaii and Las Vegas. During this trip I took 10 flights! I bought the Bag Boy THC-3. It was $150 at Chuck's. Anyways, it is an awesome travel bag check it out at www.bagboycompany.com

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I bought one at Canadian tire in the spring for $60-70. Hard case, with the ability to lock (i used plastic tie straps, in case the airport wanted to open it, they wouldn't cut a lock). It worked well for me and was much cheaper than the ones at golf stores.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

I just bought this one

at GolfTown.

http://www.datrek.com/index.php?line...bShieldShuttle

It was about $79 + tax I believe. I can fit everything i need in there, including all my clothes for a week. I think for ultimate protection, the hard bag is the way to go, but a little pricier and definitely bulkier.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I think I've decided against getting a hard case. I was at Golftown last night and I tried taking one of the 'small' SKB hard cases out to see if it would fit sideways in the back of my Honda CRV... Not a prayer of that happening. There's NO WAY it would fit in the trunk of your average rental car! The case was at least 4 inches too long. I could have fit it lengthways if I folded down the back seats but that won't do me much good if I'm travelling with more than two people in rental car.

So, now I guess I'm down to either one of the hybrid golf bags that give a pretty good level of protection or just sticking with my current bag and buying one of the soft cases.

I did see the Datrek bag for $79 (regular price $169 I think?). I read somewhere online that the Datrek stuff isn't of the highest quality, but for $79 I guess I can't really go wrong.

If I do go for a soft case bag I'll definitely be sticking something a few inches longer than my driver into my golf bag and probably covering up the top end with something like a small round garbage can to add a further level of protection.

MJF

Thread Information