100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Interesting Round Today

Ok... So it's unlikely anything will ever top the improbable round I had at Equinelle in June, but today's round was pretty memorable. jvincent joined me at Manderley. We played the Central and then North nines.

After making a couple of pars by holing a couple of ~4 footers at #1 and #2 we get to the relatively short/easy Par 5 3rd hole. I say to John: "This is an eagle hole." Of course, today it's into a pretty brisk wind. Anyway, after a decent drive that came up just short of the bunker on the right and a 'not pretty but effective' hybrid I'm left with ~70 yards to the back right pin. I hit a 3/4 lob wedge that lands a foot or two right of the hole, spins left and drops in for an EAGLE. Woo Hoo!

After a good par on #4 central my tee shot hits a tree on #5 and I need to chip out to get back into position. Then I hit an 8-iron that is pushed and then carried by the wind into the deep bunker right of the green. I grab my lob wedge hoping just to get out of the bunker and have a putt at bogey but I hit a very good shot that lands several feet short of the hole and drops in for an unlikely par.

My good luck doesn't continue on to #6 and I make a bogey there. On #7 I have 82 yards for my third shot and hit a 3/4 lob wedge (downwind) to 40 or 50 feet
    long/right of the hole. For some reason, I have a good feeling about the putt and, sure enough... draino.

On #8 (short-ish... maybe even drive-able Par 4 today) I lay-up with a 4-hybrid to 82 yards (again) and hit the same 3/4 lob wedge to about 20 feet past the
    hole and drain that putt. I'm 3-under at this point and remain that way after making another par on #9. My FC makes note of my good play / good fortune and warns me not to blow it... else the forum will hear about it!

Now we start on the North nine and the first couple of holes are playing into the wind which seems to be picking up a notch. I've got ~90 yards left to the flag on #1 North and I'm licking my chops. Unfortunately a poor club selection and a worse swing leave me in a fried egg lie in the right bunker from where I'm fortunate to get up and down in 3 for a bogey. Back to -2.

I've always had trouble with #2 North at Manderley. I hit a pretty good 5-wood off the tee into the wind that leaves me with ~190 to the flag (should have
    hit driver!). 4-hybrid from there puts me nearly pin-high but to the right of the cart path leaving a nearly impossible up and down. After one OK chip, another marginal one and an uncommitted putt I make a double. Back to Even (and the dream is dead... or at least dying)

I hit a great drive and a good approach on #3 to about 20 - 25 feet. I WANT to make this putt to get back on the rails and I hit it well... too well and about 5 feet past. I miss the come-backer and make another bogey. Doh! +1

#4 has a front right flag and a strong wind from behind / right so it's almost impossible to get close. I hit my 7-iron to about 30 feet and make a routine
    2-putt. A bad approach shot on #5 leaves me with a very difficult up-and-down for par and I'm not up to the task and make another bogey. +2

#6 is playing into the wind and I figure driver is required to be sure I'll get a look at the green... even though I hate trying to fit driver into an opening that narrow. I bomb the driver and am left with ~120 yards. My approach lands in the middle of the green and leaves me a ~30 footer. For a while, it looked like the magic might be back but it veered left and the last minute so I took another par.

At this point I tell John "The last 3 holes are birdie holes!". On #7, I hit 7-iron to 4 feet and hole the putt. Back to +1

On #8, I hit a very solid drive but it's right... fortunately, not too far right (but close!). I hit a smooth 56* wedge from ~110 (downwind) to about 9 feet and drain THAT putt. Back to Even.

I'm not sure exactly where I am now scorewise but I know another birdie will get me to red figures. A solid drive clears the bunker on #9 and leaves 120 yards to the back right pin. I'm leery of going over the green so I hit a smooth 52* wedge that ends up ~25 feet short. Again, I want this putt so I give it a bit extra and although it had pretty good line, it rolls 4 or 5 feet past. Fortunately, I make the come-backer and end up at Even par.

Definitely glad I took the afternoon off... 4 birdies, a holed bunker shot and a hole-out for eagle from the fairway sure beats a day at the office! I'm
    not so happy that the handicapping season is over though.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Jvincent is like the caddy in those PGA commercials. You've got too many clubs, I had to dump 'em, oh btw that's your last ball.

Good round Mike.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information