100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road

Suspending Net and Screen from ceiling and hitting real golf balls an option?

I'm trying to figure out how to do my enclosure/hitting area for my garage. Because we use the garage a LOT (it's a 1 car garage) I don't really want to build a 10x10x5 steel cage if I can help it. I would like to just hang a net from the ceiling on rollers so I can quickly move them out of the way when out of use. I would have a second roller set up with the screen on it. Similar to the setup that psace has, but use real golf balls.

Any reason why I couldn't do this? Has anyone tried anything like this before? Anyone have any other ideas?

no one hangs, everyone uses a cage?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I am in the basement with my setup. I have a screen setup part hanging and also using a cage.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Walb, I can hit real balls into my screen. I have a net behind and there isn't a problem hitting into it with real balls. It is very slick and moves out of the way in seconds.

Thanks, how far back from your screen is your net? Do you tie down the bottom of your screen at all or just let it hang?

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    My net is directly behind the screen, in fact it is touching the screen. I didn't tie down the netting as it is long enough to sit on the garage floor. However, for extra security I would tie it down in some way.

Gap Wedge jackhawk is on a distinguished road
    What are the real disadvantages for just hanging the net from the ceiling with the bottom weighted? I am currently just hitting into a net in my basement storage room, but I am planning on upgrading to a screen with projector. I don't really want to build a formal hitting cage if I don't need to. I was just planning on hanging it from the floor joists above.

I would imagine that the picture may be a little better with tension on the sides, but is it that much better? I have extra carpeting for the floor in front of the net/screen, so I don't think I will have balls flying all over the place. Any other thoughts?

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    I hang my PR-20 screen from a black iron bar, then use bungies on the sides to eye-hooks that are in the walls. I then slide a weighted/insulation 3/4" EMT along the bottom and bungie up from that, so 3 of the 4 sides are bungee'd taunt, and the top is just on shower curtain hooks. This works very well, and is very portable since it's in my 1 car garage that my wife parks in.

You just unbungee everything, then slide the net/screen out of the way, and secure it to the side of the wall by wrapping a bungee around it. Piece of cake.

Unfortunately, the width of the room is about 16' with storage on the sides, so attaching to the sidewalls is not an option. I could build a steel bar enclosure with netting, etc., but it just adds to the cost of the setup doesn't seem necessary to me (and takes up a lot of room) - but I could definitely be wrong. That is why I am asking those who have done it before. From the simulator setup picture thread, it seems as though a few just hang from the ceiling and the images look pretty good. That said, it looks like most go with the enclosure, netting, and bungies.

I would go the route of having something heavy on the bottom, but make sure its not hard, or else that first skull might hit it, and come back at you with deadly force. Maybe sew a pocket and fill it with chain. with no tension on the sides though, youre flirting with a possible toe/heel shot getting by the net/screen.

I am not too worried about the side shots/shanks. I am consistently down the middle and I make my son use foam balls (and I use foam balls for lob shots and sand wedges). Unless there is a lot of sideways bounce from the screen (probably going to go with the West Coast Netting PR-20), I think I should be OK.

So hard to know until you actually try it. I guess I would order the screen without side grommets if I am going to hang it and would get side grommets if I were to make the enclosure.

I guess I am still not sure if the enclosure and bungees are mainly for wild shots or picture. I am sure it is for both, but is it 90% wild shots and 10% image or 10% wild shots and 90% image? or somewhere in between?

Umm, an image will look better on a screen that is flat. I think you know that.

Now, if you want to put a % on it? ??? No idea. I'd say 73.6% and 26.4%, image/safety. Or maybe visa versa.

But for real, you'll figure out what you need after you get it. Get grommets on all sides....why not? And then regret it when you want to bungee the sides?

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    two links may be helpful
    1. impact screens
    2. indoor enclosures wall protection options - different options for netting / screens and wall protection

Pitching Wedge RED is on a distinguished road
    If you have a location to screw in 2 eye hooks to the sidewalls (can fit between your storage items) an aircraft cable with a tensioner on one end works best. You can buy the net from house or canvass on Cleopatra and it comes with gromets installed. A series or cababeaners allow the net to slide out of the way when not in use. I use 2 small quick grips to hold the net in place. They are positioned just inside the last 2 carabeaners and affixed to the cable. You can PM me if you want to see my setup.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Here is another option that I used to use in my last house:
    http://youtu.be/KQ_oUGa5xr8

It enables you to move the screen out of the way when you need the space for other things (like your wife's car LOL).

Cheers,
    Cory

Lob Wedge ktkn is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Par2Pro View Post
    Here is another option that I used to use in my last house:
    http://youtu.be/KQ_oUGa5xr8

It enables you to move the screen out of the way when you need the space for other things (like your wife's car LOL).

Cheers,
    Cory

I really like the setup.. very practical. Any chance I could get the instructions on how to do this?

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    I am going to put together a standard kit together for this setup including instructions, but for now it is a custom order. You can contact me directly at cory@par2pro.com for the details.

Putter Coop1362 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    If you have a location to screw in 2 eye hooks to the sidewalls (can fit between your storage items) an aircraft cable with a tensioner on one end works best. You can buy the net from house or canvass on Cleopatra and it comes with gromets installed. A series or cababeaners allow the net to slide out of the way when not in use. I use 2 small quick grips to hold the net in place. They are positioned just inside the last 2 carabeaners and affixed to the cable. You can PM me if you want to see my setup.
    I want to do the same setup in my basement, do have any pictures of you net...I want to put a screen behind white impact netting and project through the screen...thanks coop1362

Thread Information