CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

Does any sim help improve alignment or short game?

Just thought I would start a new thread to discuss how any sim help with 2 of the weaker areas in most amateurs - Target Alignment and Short Game (including chipping, putting and sand play). My feeling is no sim really helps that much in these areas but interested in everyones thoughts.

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    I kind of look at a sim like a driving range replacement. It's not really there to improve short game. Although anything that measures launch angle should be help with chipping (same as you practice 20-50 yards chips at the range).

Yes agree walb. What about alignment?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    I would say no on alignment. If you have any markings on the floor or your simulator use a club sensor mat, you'll be lining up on those things. If you have an all camera system, then I can see where it might help a little.

As for the short game, I gotta say yes on chipping if you have the right mat that allows you to hit down and through. Yes on putting also. Not for speed obviously but it helped me with my stroke. Definitely no on sand play.

Agree Z. Alignment with sensor system no. With camera system yes I think you can. With camera based sims I usually aim a little right of target to play my draw. It's a beautiful thing on a sim watching a ball start right of target and draw back just like you'd e expect on the course.

With a sensor, I believe you would need to move the aiming stick to compensate for draw/fade, rather than just aiming right/left of target like camera system.

Not really walb. When I hit a draw, I keep the alignment stick at the target like you do, then aim slightly right and hit a draw as on the course. How is it any different than the sensors? The fact is the software dictates your target just like a sensor system. The difference may be such that having the sensors will help like having markings on a driving range.

Didn't realize it worked that easily on the better sensor systems. I guess I would have to say then with proper setup of the room (making sure where you are aiming on your screen is correct) then alignment would be something you can work on. Line your club face up to the target, then set your body. Don't see why sim any different than real life, sensor or camera.

Well my only point is that with all sims you set the target. Obviously if the target is 90 degrees to the right of the green then you would have to hit a nasty hook to get to the green. On the sim you know your alignment. In real golf one mistake we amateurs all make is thinking we are setup to a certain target but really we are not. How many times have you hit a shot off, and your buddies say, "ya, you were aimed way over there". The question is since we set the alignment for all sim, do get really help target alignment? It does work that way with my sim and I do agree that really proper setup is important for all sims.

Quote Originally Posted by walb0034 View Post
    With a sensor, I believe you would need to move the aiming stick to compensate for draw/fade, rather than just aiming right/left of target like camera system.
    I do a little bit of both. With a driver off the tee, I will put the aiming stick near the left side of the fairway and stand parallel to the PX2. This will give me a baby fade(ball ends up near the middle of the fairway) or a straight shot(ball ends up left edge of fairway).

For a draw, I'll leave the stick in the middle and have a little bit of a closed stance over the PX2. The ball will usually end up near the middle or the right side of the fairway. I'm struggling with turning my right hand over at the moment.

I setup the same way on the course, but obviously, I don't have the PX2 to line myself up with. Which is why I don't think a sensor based sim will help with alignment, especially with amateurs. Most amateurs don't know how to line up their stance. I have a friend that is very one eye dominant. He would setup around 30* right of target(I'm not kidding) every time if I didn't point it out to him.

Very, very good point. My point exactly. All sims you pick your target, alignment with the sim. Th sensors are really like having a training tool on the ground. When playing real golf you just need to imagine those sensors on the fairway, or rough.

Yup, I try to pick out objects on the ground to line up with.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    I don't even like to think about sand and putting on these. For chips, pitches, wedges on GC2 using club fitter module looks like it could be helpful. If you know that certain small, medium, long chips with certain clubs have average carry/roll and you have specific clock positions for your picthes / wedges that are dialed in on certain carry then practicing in the club fitting module is very helpful to keep the touch during the winter. you can setup groups of shots then track them all for that group reporting statistics on each shot and the group. help you continue keeping the touch through the winter for specific distances on these shots. Also the unit picks up lob and flop shots well with spin so you can practice these the same just off a fairway lie unless you have a different surface.

I still think that sims don't help with alignment or at least in sorting your target. Reason being that for all sims you set your target. You set where you want the ball to go and reference off that. In real golf the biggest issue is sorting this direction or issue of alignment to ghat target. Most times where you think you are aiming is not your intended target. In sim golf, this is no different for high end or low end units. The software sets your target and really there is no other way I know around this.

Thread Information