100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

Zelocity Tracker Review

I had a chance to test the Zelocity Tracker today and must say I was impressed. http://zelocitytracker.com/PureLaunc..._Overivew.html
    Thanks to Fairtree for meeting up with me and speding time showing and allowing me to test the unit. As you guys know I have tested Flightscope, Trackman, Vectors etc in the past so its good to compare.

The unit as you can see has three pods that use radar technology to track the ball and club. The single pod sits behind and the double pod sits ahead about 4 feet. Being radar yechnology it certainly works better outdoors. The indoor minimal requirements are 10 feet from the screen and 4 feet from the single pod for a total distance of 14 feet. Anything less I get the sense that the unit struggles but anything more it works better. Like anything the more the marrier. We hit outdoors at a range driver and irons. It seemed to pick up the shots well and gave the club and ball data very accurate. It works with wireless technology with a dongle and apparently the pods have 8+ hrs of battery life. The unit sets up in seconds, is not heavy and easy to transport. Each shot seemed to be detected outdoors with very good accuracy. What was measured seemed to fit the ball launch, speed, distance and most important the spin and curvature that we saw. You do have to hiy between the 2 pods in front so if for example you hit a shot outside these areas (dreaded shank), it may not be picked up. We did have one very outside hit shot that didn't register. Again thanks to Fairtree for meeting with me. It was awesome.

Afterwards I spoke with Sean from Zelocity and he tols me that they have integrated with the Holiday Golf simulation software http://holidaygolfusa.com/. The cost of the software and courses is around 1 grand or so. He also said that they are working to integrate with E6 and RedChain. All good. For putting you can autoputt or buy an optional putting track around $900.

Well I must say for the pricepoint I would recommend this unit (4 grand including the fitting software etc and 1-2 grand for the courses and more to come). I think it will challange the other launch monitor sim units such as the Vector Pro, GC2, Flightscope and Trackman given its pricepoint. Although the Trackman and Flightscope are the preMadonnas of the radar based launch units, the price of Tracker is something to really look at. Trackman (20 grand), Flightscope (12 grand) and Tracker (4 grand). Are they 16 and 8 grand respectively that much better? For indoor simulation there is no doubt that the GC2 is a strong competitor but if you have more room than I mentioned this unit is a real option to think about.

9 Iron patator is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for this very expected review. As I was chatting by mail with Sean, he told me you were on the phone with him...
    How accurate, do you think, the swing speed and ball speed was (you probably roughly know this data from the simulator you use - which one do you use by the way ?)
    What did you think about the swing path and club data ? (angle of attack...)

As you said, the big competitor of the tracker (4500USD) is the GC2 (6490USD) : 2000USD difference for a bit more accuracy, a fitting software but not clubdata information (incl. smash factor)

Thanks again A LOT for the time you take in testing this unit
    patrice

I would say that the clubhead data is accurate. Again in the outdoor environment we had, the information was reliable. I didn't test indoors. The info that I say would match what was expected. Compared to the GC2 you get that valuable clubhead info for which you will have to pay an extra few grand with the GC2. I am convinced that for the pricepoint its definitely worth getting. How well it will last etc is obviously unknown.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Nice review bubba22. Sounds like it's pretty accurate outdoors. We really need an indoor review, especially for radar based systems.

$4k+1-2K for HolidayGolf courses makes it a potential competitor to the GC2 and most other indoor simulators. Integration with Red Chain should keep the price relatively low and would make it really interesting, especially if the accuracy is the same once the minimum space requirement is met.

Here is the exact current pricing for the GC2 :
    GC2 - $6495
    GC2 + fitting software + 1 course - $8490
    Only fitting software + 1 course - $1995
    Only fitting software + 5 courses - $2650

For non professional or small clubfitters, I really believe that the tracker is the best value for money. I think I will give it a try !
    I will let you know if I buy it from Sean, how good it is...

pat

Will you be using it indoors also pat? If so, please keep us posted.

mainly outside BUT I will find a way to test it inside.

I was really hesitating between the GC2 and the zelocity before exchanging with Sean from Zelocity (he's very helpful and patient...) and reading the review from Bubba22.
    The difference of price is quite important between the GC2 and the Tracker (more than 50pct). For the use I will have, I'm sure the Zelocity is more than enough. Zelocity is missing from some good reviews on the net, it's not the case for Foresight. Their marketing is probably better.
    I believe Zelocity suffered a lot from the issues mentioned by a lot of people concerning the purelaunch..but as usual we hear more about unhappy people than happy people.

I will give it a go and hope that I won't be disappointed. I will let you know for sure (it will take one month by the time I get the unit and test it...I'm travelling for business for 3 weeks)

pat

Patrice do let us know either way. Although I only spent an afternoon testing, from what I saw I think you will be happy. Of course like anything as you spend more time with it, you will learn the valuable little goods and bads so definitely keep us posted. Like you said there is little if any review of the unit and the shadows of the older Purelaunch may be what's keeping people at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Nice review bubba22. Sounds like it's pretty accurate outdoors. We really need an indoor review, especially for radar based systems.

$4k+1-2K for HolidayGolf courses makes it a potential competitor to the GC2 and most other indoor simulators. Integration with Red Chain should keep the price relatively low and would make it really interesting, especially if the accuracy is the same once the minimum space requirement is met.
    If Fairtree gets the simulation software then I will see if I can test with him indoors. By the way he is a great guy and I believe is the local Canadian Rep for Zelocity if anyone is looking to purchase or get some info.

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    Wow talk about a great value. If I would have had the room lengthwise I probably would have gone this route instead of gc2. However I only have about 8-10 feet from the area I hit to my screen, and I don't trust this is long enough for a radar based system. If I had 14-16 feet, I think this would have been the way to go.

I know walb. Trust me you have a geat unit in the GC2, really second to none however if one has the room this is a decent option for the price. I am gonna contact Fairtree once he gets the simulation part to test it indoors. The problem at my place is that I only have 12 feet but can stretch to 16 feet by hitting only short irons and not the driver. We'll keep you posted.

Heard from Fairtree and unfortunately he will be away for most of the winter. Lucky bugger. Therefore probably won't be able to see and review the simulation software. I apoke with Sean at Velocity and exciting things seem to be happening with them. By the way he and Fairtree are very knowlegable folks so do take advantage in speaking with them and pick their brains. Hopefully Patrice will keep us posted as things develop.

CPA,

The Zelocity Tracker measures the club but do you know exactly what is being measured? And how does putting work?

Patrice,

Any update on you Zelocity?

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    I have ordered my Zelocity tracker with HolidayGolf.

When it arrives I will give a few thoughts. Bought from Sean directly at Zelocity and he was more than helpful. He assures me that the problems of:

not showing club head data on irons.
    long lag

has been rectified with version 1.5 software (the lag has been reduced and they are trying to reduce further).

I have 19.5 feet back to screen so I am expecting accurate data.

have I answered you question Zmax?

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    have I answered you question Zmax?
    No. But do see now that a $900 putting sensor can be added.

Zmax, we were posting at the same time

no putting - needs a putting sensor. From my reading and observations of video sim putting is a piece of cr** so I am not going to bother at the moment.

The zelocity tracker is dopler rader as is trackman and flightscope x2 so it is measuring ball data as well as club data. Anyone may correct me if I am wrong. The GC2 is only ball data at the moment with a planned addon for club data rumoured to cost $2K and is another sensor attached.

raw costs of equipment

Zelocity tracker $4K with their software, no courses, buy Holidaygolf and E6 in the future
    GC2 $8.5K with software and 1 course
    Flightscope x2 (auto model) $11K no software at all- buy E6 software
    Trackman 3 $15K+ as far as I can tell

I understand that. I was just wondering if it measures all the club data such as club face and club path, and not just club speed.

Also, did they give you a price on the E6 upgrade?

yes path and face data- they had a problem with the iron face data but say they have fixed this with 1.5 software

didn't give me E6 pricing but I presume it would be the asame as for Flightscop X2 - SES quoted $3750 for E6 standard which is 15 courses but I cannot work out if that included practice and swing analysis.

Hello

The Tracker measures (doesn't calculate) the head speed prior to impact (2,5", 2",1.5",1", 0.5" + impact).
    It seems to work very accurately, at least at impact, compared to the my Sport Sensors swing speed radar.

I think that the putter ball speed is too slow for the specs of the Tracker.
    I confirm that the swing path is shown but not correct most of the time.

As far as my tests are concerned, I will disclose a full review once I will have come round all the issues I faced (small bugs with the 1.1.2 software + distances issues)

I had a lot of distances issues during my two last/first sessions of test, on the driving range (2 weeks and 3 weeks ago) .

I was first very amazed between the difference of what I could see in reality and what was indicating the tracker.
    ex : shots at 85mts (roughly) showing 67-70mts all the time.
    I entered the values provided by the tracker into the OptimalFlight software, and the output was much closer to reality than the Tracker results.
    The Tracker is supposed to track the ball up to 100 yards...

I made 2 reports to Zelocity (one for each test day).
    The second report is very accurate. A 4 hcp player was hitting marked balls (1,2,3...) from the driving range and I was measuring with a Bushnell the real distance from the landing point of the ball to the player (I was on the driving range).
    The player was hitting a 6 iron and the difference between the Tracker and the real results was about 10-15mts (the Tracker being shorter than reality).

On top of that, my PC died that day as it started to rain at the end of the session and some water got into it....I now have to buy a new pc and install the software with a new licence nb (luckily Zelocity/Sean have accepted not to charge me even if it's not the company policy : "each new key for a new installation has to be charged").

It has been nearly 3 weeks since I sent the first report. I have to say that the sales manager is very helpful but the technical support seems to be very busy as I haven't received yet a clear answer (busy end of the year and people off sick - I can understand this kind of situation for a small company like Zelocity)
    The solution will apparently come from the next software version. I should have the opportunity to test a beta version in the next days (1.5).

I'm pretty confident to have a working solution with the new software version once it will be officially released.
    I just wonder if something is wrong with my pods or if it's a common and know issues for Zelocity ?

To avoid any doubt, the setup of the pods was perfect (I used a level to set up the tracker and took a lot of picture to show the correct set up to Zelocity)

I would appreciate receiving comments from other tracker users that have faced the same issues and find a way to get correct distances (tracker vs reality)
    patrice
    PS : I'm sure you have all watched this holidaygolf / tracker demo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1WhvngBD8

Thanks for that Patrice.
    I must say I would prefer it if the software geeks were spending their time fixing bugs in the 1.5 software rather than talking to you (no offence) before they send it to me.
    No doubt they would have received your concerns and data and taken it onboard.

Interested to hear about your 1.5 experience.

I have seen the video and I'm not too crazy about the static Holiday golf images. The E6 upgrade peaked my interest.

Thank you for the update. I didn't expect to hear about the distance problems, especially on the range. Perhaps version 1.5 that CPV spoke off will the problem. As long as the ball measurements are accurate, it should be a simple software fix to get the Tracker to show the correct distance.

just as an afterthought wouldn't any company road test a product they say is a "launch monitor" first to make sure it was spot on?
    or is the price vs quality issue so hard that they just thought it was "good enough"?

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    just as an afterthought wouldn't any company road test a product they say is a "launch monitor" first to make sure it was spot on?
    or is the price vs quality issue so hard that they just thought it was "good enough"?
    CPA,

It didn't take me long to learn that I must question every golf simulator manufacture's claims. I have learned a lot about how these various technologies work or don't work.

As for the Zelocity's reported distance, a fat programmer might have just fat fingered something, since the ball data appears to be accurate.

CPA,

you placed your order yesterday if I understand correctly.

Do you plan to test your tracker on the driving range to compare reality to output of the 1.1.2 software ?

If yes, could you give us your feedback with shots using a 9 iron (above 9 the tracker doesn't catch all balls, the launch angle is limited to 40deg) and a 6 iron ?

If you hit balls off a mat, don't forget to raise the tracker pods to the level of your feet on the carpet (I used pieces of wood to do so):

setup from back.jpgsetup from front.jpgback pod.jpglevel with ground.jpg

Make sure to always hit the ball exactly at 43" from both pods each time :
    43 measurement.jpg

Also your pc should be positioned behind the back pod
    All these advises come from Sean.

Patrice

Good comment Zmax...

How can we make sure the ball data is accurate ?
    For those of you (maybe yourself) who have access to another launch monitor, you can check easily, as long as the tracker doesn't interfere with the gc2, X2...when used at the same time.

For the other guys like me, the only way is to do is what I did. Check the minimum requested : distance (and eventually dispersion).

How can we (we,simple user) trust the launch figures of the tracker when the most important information for the player who will be fitted is not correct (distance + dispersion of the ball).

For the time being, I don't feel comfortable to run fitting sessions on the driving range.
    The first comment I had from my mate, 4 of hcp, who helped me with the test was :
    "wouaaa, you have spent several thousands dollars on this launch monitor and it can't give you the correct distances. How can we trust the other figures that are not visible to us ?" (he was talking about launch angles and spin)

patrice

That's exactly right Zmax. I question all sim results. I think they all can be improved, every single simulator. The distance issue must be just a software fix.

Hi bubba

we all agree to say that alls sims need to be questioned.
    quoting ZMax :
    "As long as the ball measurements are accurate, it should be a simple software fix to get the Tracker to show the correct distance. "
    How can we know that the launch angle and spin are correct ?

What to think when we observe a distance issue measurement...this would be the minimum to make right as it is the most visible to the launch monitor users. Can we trust the other data when the most simple one to check is wrong ?
    Does it make sense or am I totally wrong saying that ?

Well, we all look forward to the new version of the tracker software to see that the distance issue was just a software issue (fat finger programmer as said Zmax hehehe) and not a deeper problem.

Again, being optimistic, I'm sure that I will be very happy with my tracker with the final version of the 1.5.
    It's not the case for the time being.

patrice

Quote Originally Posted by patrice View Post
    What to think when we observe a distance issue measurement...this would be the minimum to make right as it is the most visible to the launch monitor users. Can we trust the other data when the most simple one to check is wrong ?
    Does it make sense or am I totally wrong saying that ?
    Since carry distance on the Zelocity is a calculation based on all the ball measurements, carry distance by itself is meaningless. It can be boosted or reduced easily in software. My understanding is that spin has minimal effect on carry distance, for a normal straight shot. Ball speed and LA are key.

On my GGS system I have the luxury of looking at photographic evidence of the LA, ball path, and ball speed. I use a swing speed meter to compare the club speed with the PX2 sensor. Then throw the numbers into trojectorware. GGS doesn't have measured spin at the moment so the club readings are used.

If somebody is willing, I would love to test the Zelocity or GC2 and compare the numbers to my GGS.

I think it will eventually get sorted patrice. Is it only the distance that you find off? How is the ball speed, club head speed, spin etc seem? if you have access to a ball speed monitor then you can at least compare. The day I tested we were at a range and it seemed reasonable with respect to the numbers. Really keep us posted with respect to the new software updates. I hope that it is just the distances that are off as if so, that is a simple fix I would think.

Thread Information